Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since this is a very multi-cultural forum, I just wanted to post a thread to see what languages people speak at home. Basically all you need to post is how many languages you can speak fluently.

(Oh yeah, i don't want any jackasses making up stuff!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    Since this is a very multi-cultural forum, I just wanted to post a thread to see what languages people speak at home. Basically all you need to post is how many languages you can speak fluently.

(Oh yeah, i don't want any jackasses saying making up stuff!!!!)
    English, punjabi, urdu I'm fluent in, and I have a very good working knowledge of hindi and french.

ReputationRep:

I don't speak them fluent but I speak English (dur), French and Hebrew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    English, punjabi, urdu I'm fluent in, and I have a very good working knowledge of hindi and french.
    Wow, I only speak English, I feel so ignorant (although I can understand a fair bit of latin)

ReputationRep:
    Norwegian, English... and some Sami and French.

EDIT: I wouldn't say I'm fluent in any of them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    I don't speak them fluent but I speak English (dur), French and Hebrew.
    WOW - how did you get to learn Hebrew?

ReputationRep:
    i only speak english at home, but can speak welsh fluently and geman conversationally.

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Wow, I only speak English, I feel so ignorant (although I can understand a fair bit of latin)
    Hehehehe I speak punjabi at home.

ReputationRep:
    I am impressed with everyone already....i can speak english, american austrialian, canadian etc lol In addition i can say 'bonjour'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    WOW - how did you get to learn Hebrew?
    In school, it's a Jewish school so it is compulsory until year 10.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really? Is it hard to remember which language your speaking? My uncle has lived in germany for years and when he comes back he keeps slipping back into german without realising it lol

ReputationRep:
    I am impressed with everyone already....i can speak english, american austrialian, canadian etc lol In addition i can say 'bonjour'.
    lol, that is an acheivement!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, someone else who can speak french fluently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    In school, it's a Jewish school so it is compulsory until year 10.
    cool, i wanna learn arabic, japanese and russian!

ReputationRep:
    Do you really? Is it hard to remember which language your speaking? My uncle has lived in germany for years and when he comes back he keeps slipping back into german without realising it lol
    Hehehehe, it doesn't get confusing! It does become a mish-mash of english and punjabi often though!!! Now that my sister-in-law is here, I speak urdu to her, english to my brother, punjabi to my mum, and a mishmash to my dad depending on subject matter! It's great!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hehehehe, it doesn't get confusing! It does become a mish-mash of english and punjabi often though!!! Now that my sister-in-law is here, I speak urdu to her, english to my brother, punjabi to my mum, and a mishmash to my dad depending on subject matter! It's great!!!

LOL!

I would love to be able to speak all those languages - did you learn from when you was little or later on in life? I imagine it is a lot easier if you are brought up and taught them although i think it could get confusing!

ReputationRep:
    english, spanish (hope to be fluent by end of my degree) and i'm learning portuguse (theortetically were meant to get oa0level standard in a year but i'll beleive it when i see it). I've forgotton most of my GCSE french though, i can just about remeber je ne comprend pas

ReputationRep:
    LOL!

I would love to be able to speak all those languages - did you learn from when you was little or later on in life? I imagine it is a lot easier if you are brought up and taught them although i think it could get confusing!
    Yes I learnt them alongside each other from when I was young so it became second nature to use them all in their appropriate environments! What makes it worse is my parents have different dialects. I don't think I know the pure forms very well at all!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think in English or Punjabi?

ReputationRep:

English & Esperanto (fluent), French (AS at the moment), German (GCSE).

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.