This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by icarusgideon)
ik kom eigenleik van somalia, maar ik heb 9 jaren in Uden, noort brabant gewoont.
ik heb nu 3 jaren in london gewoont and volgende jaar ga ik hier naar universiteit (als alles goed gaat!!). ik ben mijn nederlands aan het vergeten zo het is well goed om een keertje nederlands te praten......lol
Ben jij nederlands...waar woon je....waarom woon je hier en wat ben je aan het leren..........
nee, ik ben engels, maar ik woon in antwerpen, belgie. ik kan frans spreken omdat ik heb in parijs bestudeerde en het is veel beter dan mijn nederlands, een mooi taal maar niet maakelijk te leren met de niveau van het engels hier!! waarom probeer..
lovely
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
nee, ik ben engels, maar ik woon in antwerpen, belgie. ik kan frans spreken omdat ik heb in parijs bestudeerde en het is veel beter dan mijn nederlands, een mooi taal maar niet maakelijk te leren met de niveau van het engels hier!! waarom probeer..
hia
i speak arabic and english fluently, i can understad and speak french, and understand abit of german
Unregistered007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Basically English, but i know a tiiiiiny bit of french (enuff for an A* at GCSE lol - i.e. not v much!)
lovely
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered007)
Basically English, but i know a tiiiiiny bit of french (enuff for an A* at GCSE lol - i.e. not v much!)
a* wow, i have chosen french
dont think i will get far though lol!
Unregistered007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lovely)
a* wow, i have chosen french
dont think i will get far though lol!
You dont actually have to be good at french to get an A*. Its like all GCSEs, as long as you have a good memory, and can learn sets of phrases (regardless of understanding their meaning) youll get an 8 in the oral at least. My teacher made us memorise 22 'mini presentations' which took basically all year, but as soon as she said a word (i dunno, 'l'annee dernier'), you could spout off this brilliant presentation about what you did last year.
lovely
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered007)
You dont actually have to be good at french to get an A*. Its like all GCSEs, as long as you have a good memory, and can learn sets of phrases (regardless of understanding their meaning) youll get an 8 in the oral at least. My teacher made us memorise 22 'mini presentations' which took basically all year, but as soon as she said a word (i dunno, 'l'annee dernier'), you could spout off this brilliant presentation about what you did last year.
i wish my memery is good!
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by guest)
Aren't pujabi, hindi and urdu more or less just dialects of hindi though, rather than different languages? Bit like saying you can speak english and yorkshire!
I think punjabi is meant to be very different from urdu. Also urdu uses the same script as arabic and persian whereas hindi uses a completley different script.
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ooh I almost forgot I have a joke (an english-urdu joke)

What did the fat car say?
I'm a mota car
ShOcKzZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i can speak english, punjabi, urdu, hindi (same as urdu isnt it?).
MIZZ
Report 17 years ago
Basic Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi are pretty similar... if you speak one you can get the jist of what someone says in any of the 3 langauges... however the scripts they are written in are completely different and at a more advanced level they are very different. Urdu takes a lot of words from Arabic/Persian whilst Hindi (and perhaps punjabi?) take words from Sanskrit...
Elle... farsi.. how did you come to learn it? Home language?It's a language i've always wanted to learn
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
English (my native language) unless you count Bristolian a different language which is entirely possible. a bit of french from my gcse days, proberly enough to get myself some cheap lager in a cafe and get my self to the toilet. did german in year....8 i think. can't remember any of it other than the basic greetings. Same with spanish, basic language.

i feel wonderfully inadequate as many others feel. the rest of Europe is on the whole (or seems to be) comfortable with speaking at least two languages. i dont know whether it is the culture of Britain or the failure of the education system or what which means that a low percentage can speak a foreign language (20%) which is near the bottom of the table for language speaking in Europe.

personally i would like to see the introduction of more european attitudes to teaching languages. such as foreign language teaching at primary school.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)

I'm a mota car
LOL!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)

I'm a mota car
That's awful. Hang your head in shame.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
That's awful. Hang your head in shame.
Hehehe.
kimmybabe
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i can spek english, french and spanish and maybe a slight bit of german and turkish!
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MIZZ)
Basic Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi are pretty similar... if you speak one you can get the jist of what someone says in any of the 3 langauges... however the scripts they are written in are completely different and at a more advanced level they are very different. Urdu takes a lot of words from Arabic/Persian whilst Hindi (and perhaps punjabi?) take words from Sanskrit...
Elle... farsi.. how did you come to learn it? Home language?It's a language i've always wanted to learn
Yeah it is. I don't speak it very often and I sometimes think I've forgotten a lot of it. But I want to travel a lot when I'm older so Im going to make an effort to learn how to write too
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
English, French (well, getting there) and Creole
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I feel linguistically inept.

I erm... speak English, and German to GCSE level. Feh!
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
@MattG
It is no longer compulsory to study another language at Key stage 4 (GCSE) from this year. Instead, the focus will be on teaching languages at primary school from Year 3 as it is thought this will inspire children to carry it on longer because they will be more proficient having done it for 8 years before choosing options for GCSE's.
langie
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I speak
english fluently
hebrew fluently
french (only up to gcse level tho!)
japanese (only a little)
chinese (even less than japanese! basically all i can do is say a few words... doesnt really count i guess)

I can understand, but not speak:
latin (only reading & only to gcse level)
some italian
some hindi
some yiddish
some arabic
some farsi

i love languages! and even more than that, i love different cultures!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (203)
51.92%
No (188)
48.08%

Watched Threads