The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

menaa-x
How do past exam papers actually help revision???

Because, sadly, you're not learning a subject, you're learning how to pass the exam.

If you go into an exam without having ever seen the style of paper you won't know the format of the paper, and thus won't be able to manage your time well enough to make sure you finish it.

Also, some questions come year after year with only some little bits changed, so you'll have some good foundations to get some pretty much guaranteed marks.
Reply 21
Agrippa
There are really only a limited number of questions that can be set for a lot of subjects. This is particularly relevant to the sciences - after you've done 5 past physics papers you realise that most of the questions are almost exactly the same, with slightly different numbers. Looking at the mark schemes helps you to understand what the examiners are looking for - there are many cases where you know the answer, but if you don't give it almost exacly as the examiner wants to see it, you'll only get half marks.

Ahh okay, my psychology teacher is one of the question writers for AQA or somethin, and he was saying that they do often have the same question for like 3 years in a row. He goes that when they do it 3 or so years in a row, everyone will be expecting the same question again the next year, so they decide to change it just to take the piss..:tongue:

Thats what made me think twice about always relying on past papers..
But il still try getting some even though the specifications changed and the papers are set out differently now!!
Reply 22
Doing lots of things. Making notes in class, making notes at home, condensing notes (my condensing is freaking amazing!), condensing further, remembering everything, understanding things for topics and stuff, then just remembering them and obviously making notes for them, then on to past papers if you learn best like that. But hardcore revision about 4 weeks before the exam.
Reply 23
cruciform
for someone with my subjects?

The only subject we have in common is maths. I'd say ensure you 100% know your core modules by doing lots of practice. Mechanics requires alot more practice IMO.

Chemistry is said to be hard, so I guess you should go over stuff after the lesson to ensure you know what is going on.

History is apparently alot to remember, so I guess you have to make notes on dates and fact etc.
Reply 24
If you know what the question possibilities are, write out essay stuctures in note form and remember them. Each one need only be about 5 or 6 key words or so..

I tend to write out a model answer in note form, and then with a post it note i will write out the structure of the notes.

EG - for law on mens rea.. i would write on the post it note somethin like 'direct intention, indirect intention, recklessness, transferred malice'

:smile:
Reply 25
Malsi101
Doing lots of things. Making notes in class, making notes at home, condensing notes (my condensing is freaking amazing!), condensing further, remembering everything, understanding things for topics and stuff, then just remembering them and obviously making notes for them, then on to past papers if you learn best like that. But hardcore revision about 4 weeks before the exam.

That sounds pretty hardcore already :tongue:
I try to revise but fail miserably!!
Reply 26
by not having a social life up until the exams!
but this would be imposible for me =[
:party:
Reply 27
menaa-x
That sounds pretty hardcore already :tongue:
I try to revise but fail miserably!!

Hardcoreeeeeeee is key:yep:

Just try - make sure your notes cover everything you need to know, but are condensed, and you'll do fine.
Reply 28
Read the book and pastpapers imo.
Reply 29
Malsi101
Hardcoreeeeeeee is key:yep:

Just try - make sure your notes cover everything you need to know, but are condensed, and you'll do fine.

I agree, i tried for my january exams but now im lagging behind!!
I just sit on TSR all day :frown:
For sciences and maths you need to do serious revision throughout the year.
Reply 31
menaa-x
I agree, i tried for my january exams but now im lagging behind!!
I just sit on TSR all day :frown:

Well they are a good two months away so I wouldn't worry just yet; just make sure notes are up to date and about 3-4 weeks before, go hardcore.:woo:
Reply 32
Malsi101
Well they are a good two months away so I wouldn't worry just yet; just make sure notes are up to date and about 3-4 weeks before, go hardcore.:woo:

What AS's are you doing?
Reply 33
menaa-x
What AS's are you doing?

Bio, Chem, Psychology, English Lit.

you?
Reply 34
Malsi101

you?

Art, Law, English lang/lit combined, Psychology..
As you can tell im confused with life :yep:
Reply 35
what is the best site to get past papers from?
Reply 36
menaa-x
Would this still apply to the new specifications? =\

Well, yes and no. The former part is less relevant, although specification materials are available, but the latter part still holds. Some courses have changed more than others; maths hasn't at all, Chem Nuff's died completely. So it depends.
I've got to get from BBB to AAB all in June to get into UCL, so I'll have 3 maths exams (1 AS retake), 4 chem exams (2 AS retakes), and 2 bio exams (hopefully no retakes as I'm just looking for a B in this), but could be 3 if I retake 1.

And I'm thinking of getting as much as I can by the ens of easter. So that would give me a good 6 weeks at least or something left? And in that time I'll get a load of papers and tons of revision done, cause I can't retake these anymore.

Would people think that's a decent enough idea? Cause I really think that's what I'm going to HAVE to do if I'm gonna boost the grades up.
well it's quite blatent that all you need to do is focus in class an do the amount of revision reccomended by your teacher
Malsi101

you?

We're doing the exact same subjects! :woo:

How are you finding them? :smile:

Latest