This discussion is closed.
bscman
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hi guys,

probably gonna get flamed for this,

i'm having massive problems with my dissertation (balanced scorecard), i decided to use secondary data antd analyse it, my dissertation supervisor doesnt like the idea unless i can find 2 similar sets of data and compare them,

i was thinking, if i created a questionnaire and went down that route, do you think it would be possible to make up the data by making it similar to other data with a bit of a variance,

how would the uni know, i havnt got much time and need to get this sorted, im on for a 2:1 in everything else but this could screw up my degree.
anon53
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you could think of no alternative, then the decision is yours. However, at my university, falsification of data is a number of very serious offences under the university's code of practice on the use of unfair means. I am studying an arts subject and haven't reached the final year, but there is a requirement to demonstrate a broad knowledge of both primary and secondary sources in far more detail than most taught modules. Hope this helps
philjw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, no, no, no, no! :no:

Don't even go there - Academic integrity is essential.
There are also statistical auditing techniques that can detect 'made-up' results and patterns.
bscman
(Original post by philjw)
No, no, no, no, no! :no:

Don't even go there - Academic integrity is essential.
There are also statistical auditing techniques that can detect 'made-up' results and patterns.
i understand what your saying but i have no idea what to do, if i could find just 2 journals which use simlar data so i could compare i wouldnt even be thinking of this, my dissertation supervisor is a complete idiot and is no help. last time i emailed him it too a month to get a reply.

im pulling my hair out here, it has to be handed in in the first week in may.
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
suggest you seriously read your universities statement about applying falsification of results before even thinking about this. Very, very dangerous.
hobnob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Couldn't you still do a U-turn and change your approach to something you actually have sufficient data for? It's another ten weeks until the first week of May, so if you really knuckle down and don't allow yourself too many breaks, you might still manage to finish the dissertation in time. Obviously it wouldn't be ideal, but it would be better than doing something as desperate as faking data, because you'd be running a significant risk there - not to mention that you probably didn't spend several years doing a degree and learning how to do this sort of thing the right way, only to make stuff up at the end of it...:dontknow:
bscman
it may be 10 weeks but ive got, 5 assignments to do as well in that time and i work.

ive sent an email to the module leader at my university,
doing some calcs on the grades i can get, i need to get about 50/100 for my dissertation and do well in my other subjects(doesnt sound alot but it is if u dont know what your doing), my uni lets you change your mark allocations for each section of the dissertation so hopefully i can push my literature review mark up as thats what im best at,

im just gonna try and do my best in my other modules, just dont want to get a 2:2 when i know im capable of a 2:1, if i wasnt messing my dissertation up so badly i would be pushing for a 1st.
RNBen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds to me like you are the only one to blame here, you really haven't left yourself a lot of time to do your dissertation. You really should have looked at the availability, or lack there of, of data regarding the subject of study and realised it was a bad path to take, this would have given you enough time to change your approach.

Really though, if you get your act together, who is to say the questionnaire won't produce similar results as the journal? It is worth a go, you may be surprised.
pilogrue
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Firms always 'sponsor' researchers to write something positive about the product they sell. Researchers always falsify data and never gets caught.

You won't get caught unless you're do something out of the ordinary.
bscman
(Original post by RNBen)
Sounds to me like you are the only one to blame here, you really haven't left yourself a lot of time to do your dissertation. You really should have looked at the availability, or lack there of, of data regarding the subject of study and realised it was a bad path to take, this would have given you enough time to change your approach.

Really though, if you get your act together, who is to say the questionnaire won't produce similar results as the journal? It is worth a go, you may be surprised.
i know i'm to blame but if my dissertation supervisor had told me the data i had and how i was going to do my dissertation was wrong i would have been able to sort this out months a go, but when it takes over a month to get a reply from numerous emails it doesnt help,

if i have to just use what ive got hopefully ill still get marks for analysis etc even tho the datas not the best, if i had chance to start again i would have done it based on my job using sales data and do the assignemnt around that, dont know why i didnt in the first place:woo:
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I have a fried that faked some of their dissertation results and still got a 1st.

So feel free to do it if you think you can discuss the "results" and not get found out. Do you want to keep your integrity?
Eragon452
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it sounds fine.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do it, you won't get caught if you'ren sensible about it.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if you write the questionaire and give it to people to answer, it is up to you what you do with that data

i wouldn't really call it cheating
Levity. Irony.
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bscman)
i understand what your saying but i have no idea what to do, if i could find just 2 journals which use simlar data so i could compare i wouldnt even be thinking of this, my dissertation supervisor is a complete idiot and is no help. last time i emailed him it too a month to get a reply.

im pulling my hair out here, it has to be handed in in the first week in may.
First of all, it seems as if you don't care for the scientific merit of your dissertation and i think that's an awful approach. I definitely wouldn't do it.

Then you take great risks here, I assume that - as suggested before - trying something different would probably be a better idea. You don't have the necessary data? Then do something else.
Apart from that: If you need a quick answer, don't write emails. Go and see your tutor/supervisor in person.
creamofthecraft
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dont worry bout it, just make the results reakistic and cover your tracks e.g print out fake questionnaires and answer them..just incase the uni board asks for your raw data...i faked my results and got a 2:1..its not like my disso is going to affect anyones life lool.. just your career prospects
incipientT
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Please don't bump old threads if the last post was more than about 6 months ago.

Thread closed.

(Original post by creamofthecraft)
Dont worry bout it, just make the results reakistic and cover your tracks e.g print out fake questionnaires and answer them..just incase the uni board asks for your raw data...i faked my results and got a 2:1..its not like my disso is going to affect anyones life lool.. just your career prospects
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (78)
42.39%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (32)
17.39%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (71)
38.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.63%

Watched Threads