This discussion is closed.
Emilee
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I have to put the number of students in my A Level classes on my Cam college form, and I was curious about how they compare to other people's?

I have about 20 pupils in each class

U?

Emilee
x
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Emilee)
I have to put the number of students in my A Level classes on my Cam college form, and I was curious about how they compare to other people's?

U?

Emilee
x
I had 5 in my geography class and about 6-7 in biology. (there were more orignially but they dropped out)
TK0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
doesnt matter its just so they can stick it on a spreadsheet to see what kinda people they get statistically
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
11 - French
10 - English
12 - History
11 - Geog

Does Oxford ask for this too?
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I do IB, but still... Lowest (ToK) has 14 students I think, and the most (Economics and Norwegian A1) have 24-25.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
20 - Maths
4 - Further Maths :rolleyes:
20 - Physics
20 - His
25- Gen. St
hotnanoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In my AS classes there are roughly an average of 30 in each class however in A2 there are 10-20 in each class
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
20 - Maths
4 - Further Maths :rolleyes:
20 - Physics
20 - His
25- Gen. St
whoa - those are massive class sizes compared to the sixth form i went to. The most classes started with was around 10 (which became less as people dropped out). For popular courses, they would just run lots of classes so that the size is kept down.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
11 - French
10 - English
12 - History
11 - Geog

Does Oxford ask for this too?
I'm A/S btw.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
35. 8. 5.
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oxford doesn't ask for this info.

In my four A2 subjects the class sizes are 3, 4, 9, and 12, so I'd say the orginal poster's ones are pretty big.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think my classes were quite small compared to other peoples but maybe that was cos i was at a 6th form with a huge variety of courses. I think the largest classes were for things like film studies, psychology and sociology. Mine were

Spanish 4
English 9
Chemistry 12
History 5
Unreg
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
chem - 2
bio - 3
maths - 5

Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Above 20 for all my classes.. but only 8 in my Politics class.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

U?

Emilee
x
Is this just another of Cambridge's attempts to admit more state school pupils 'because they have bigger classes and it therefore must have been harder for them to get 3 As'??
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Is this just another of Cambridge's attempts to admit more state school pupils 'because they have bigger classes and it therefore must have been harder for them to get 3 As'??
thats not true though

like in my chem class theres 2 off us, so the teacher cant be arsed preparing notes, handouts, exam practice papers, and practicals just for the two of us and he just sits and talks to us expecting us to remember it. and its impossible

if there was more of us, he wud have more to worry about so he wud prepare practicals ..notes etc..

im gonna fail it.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Are you saying that this is wrong of them? Because it is a fact that someone being taught in say a class of 6 will have more help than someone in a class of 25 and will therefore have an unfair advantage..

(I think the previous person who posted just had a arse for a teacher)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Not sure Tek

But do you think having 20 in my classes will be helpful or is it probably an avrage size?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

U?

Emilee
x
How do you find out? I thought university choice was confidential. So that information shouldn't be available. What do you ask the other one
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Are you saying that this is wrong of them? Because it is a fact that someone being taught in say a class of 6 will have more help than someone in a class of 25 and will therefore have an unfair advantage..
Yes, I am. In my opinion, candidates should be admitted solely on academic potential and nothing else.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (206)
51.76%
No (192)
48.24%

Watched Threads