This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
How do you find out? I thought university choice was confidential. So that information shouldn't be available. What do you ask the other one
wot d'u mean?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
wot d'u mean?
Well how are you supposed to know how many other students are appling to Cambridge in your class? I thought it was all supposed to be confidential. Do you go around asking everyone their uni choices? What if they don't want to say which unis they've applied to.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well how are you supposed to know how many other students are appling to Cambridge in your class? I thought it was all supposed to be confidential. Do you go around asking everyone their uni choices? What if they don't want to say which unis they've applied to.
It's how many people in your class, not how many are applying to Cambridge.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
It's how many people in your class, not how many are applying to Cambridge.
Oh

Thanks I completely misread it.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Yes, I am. In my opinion, candidates should be admitted solely on academic potential and nothing else.
But why is this incommensurable with what Cambridge are doing? Surely this information will help them gain the most accurate picture possible of their applicants' academic potential?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
But why is this incommensurable with what Cambridge are doing? Surely this information will help them gain the most accurate picture possible of their applicants' academic potential?
In my original post, for 'academic potential' read 'academic performace'.
donnaxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
in my group for health and social care there are 10 of us. In citizenship there are 9. In counselling there are 7
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The selection procedure is all about picking the students who the college feels will succeed in their chosen subject. Surely academic potential is more important for a university than previous academic performance?
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My IB (HL) classes all have about 17-20 students in them.
*~Sarah~*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Oxford doesn't ask for this info.

In my four A2 subjects the class sizes are 3, 4, 9, and 12, so I'd say the orginal poster's ones are pretty big.

mine were small (all less than 10) but that's more reflective of the amount of people at school who did a levels, rather than an effort by the school to keep to small classes!

so guessing from the bryanston thing and your a levels, I guess you're applying for classics, Alexander? are you applying to oxford? what college?
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
In my original post, for 'academic potential' read 'academic performace'.
Lol.. see I'd thought your comment was fair when you had just left it at "potential". Academic performance should not be the basis of admitting people- remember the exam board screw ups last year?!?
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Have about 18 people in my biggest class and 11 or 12 in smallest.
Unregistered1
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unreg)
chem - 2
bio - 3
maths - 5

But that is ridiculous. Even SPGS has classes larger than that.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maths - 9
Chemistry - 6
Physics - 2

(however the english A level class had 27 in and the latin class had only 1...I just chose the unpopular subjects and not a lot of my GCSE cohort continued onto sixth form)
Gina17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my biggest group is 15 - and this has dropped since year 12! i was quite shocked coz when i was at high school the minimum in a class was about 33!!
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Are you saying that this is wrong of them? Because it is a fact that someone being taught in say a class of 6 will have more help than someone in a class of 25 and will therefore have an unfair advantage..

(I think the previous person who posted just had a arse for a teacher)
Educationalists would disagree with you - they say that a cohort of about 15 at As/A level is better because there is then an element of competition which provides greater motivation to do better. If there were 6 in a class with, say one, being very able, that one would not have any reason to try to reach their potential because of lack of competition and may become complacent and not achieve as highly as they could.
Likewise, the size of a class prior to 6th form is best set at about 25 for the same reason.
Unreg'd
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Bio - 19
Chem - 16
Maths - 25
Further Maths - 20

But at my comp the min class size was 28/30, and the biggest was my GErman class with 37.
*Gina*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
omg that is a LOT of people doing further maths

scary people
Sophdoph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My A Level classes..

Economics 9 (Which means we have 5 lessons not 6, because there is less than 10 in the group which I think is a bit unfair!!)
Politics 14
Geography 16
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *~Sarah~*)
so guessing from the bryanston thing and your a levels, I guess you're applying for classics, Alexander? are you applying to oxford? what college?
Hi, I've PM'd you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (480)
51.95%
No (444)
48.05%

Watched Threads