The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering at King's College, London

Right. I've got an offer from King's to do Mechanical Engineering MEng. Not the best of Unis out there but good enough I guess. Now the problem comes in when i see their degree structure. It mostly consists of computer-electronic related modules. That's one field I'm definitely not getting into.

Since it's mostly electronics and stuff, how does this effect my career options? I'm looking to get into either, structural, automotive or energy related fields. Do i do the first year then transfer onto another course in my second if i have that option? Will i even be able to change because of the modules i'm doing in my first year? What other options do i have? A little help would be nice. :biggrin:

Here's the Kings Mech Eng degree structure for those that are interested.

Year 1 Core
Computer Engineering I
Engineering Labs I
Engineering Mathematics IA
Engineering Mathematics IB
Engineering Skills and Culture
Fundamentals of Electricity
Fundamentals of Mechanics
Linear Circuits

Year 2 Core
Applied Mechanics I
Computer Engineering II
Electronic Circuits I
Engineering Labs II
Engineering Mathematics II
Microprocessor Systems
Signals & Systems
Thermodynamics

Year 3 Core
Group Project
Applied Mehanics II
Control Systems
Engineering Design
Fluid Mechanics
Industrial Business Management
Materials

Year 4
Six core modules plus one optional module.

Year 4 Core
Individual Project
Advanced Numerical Methods
Applied Mechanics III
Computer Aided Design
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Project Management

Year 4 Options
Computer-Aided Manufacture
Real-time Systems
Robotic Systems
Sensor & Actuators
Operations Management
Nanotechnology
Advanced Industrial Business Management

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
'Not the best of unis but good enough i guess' - Tis actually a rather good uni.. hmphh!
Reply 2
menaa-x
'Not the best of unis but good enough i guess' - Tis actually a rather good uni.. hmphh!

I'll second this.

For OP:
I think in the first year you have to do all the modules and then from second year onwards you can decide the type of study you go into.

The first year is to cover all the topics and then in the second if you do not like electricity then you can choose mechanics and vice versa.

I do not know this for definate but I am pretty sure this is how the course works. Check the websites for further information.

What other offers do you have?

...:smile:
Reply 3
menaa-x

Thirded..

A family friend does the exact same course and he loves it. It's very fun in KCL and he enjoys being taught MechEng
Reply 4
:woo:
Reply 5
menaa-x

no its not... lmao
that course structure is ridiculous. your not doing a fricking electrical course.
Reply 6
Higgy90
no its not... lmao
that course structure is ridiculous. your not doing a fricking electrical course.

That's EXACTLY why i posted this thread. So it's true!! no0o0o00oo0!! So what exactly can be done about this?

Edit: I'd like to work in Formula 1 anyway. This course will get me there hopefully... it's just the competition i have to worry about now... crap.
Reply 7
look
That's EXACTLY why i posted this thread. So it's true!! no0o0o00oo0!! So what exactly can be done about this?

Edit: I'd like to work in Formula 1 anyway. This course will get me there hopefully... it's just the competition i have to worry about now... crap.

what other unis have you applied for? have a look at their course content and see if its any different.

what we do this year is:
maths
mechanics and stress analysis
fluid mechanics and thermodynamics
materials
mechatronics(basically electronics) and computing
a lot of design and manufacturing work

it is a very well balanced course
Reply 8
I've applied at UCL, Queen Mary, City, Brunel. Last two i have no intention of going to. Queen Mary - insurance. Not too keen on it. UCL - I've actually applied for Biochemical Engineering there and had an interview. No reply yet. I gave them the impression i don't wanna do that course, 'cos i actually don't. I couldn't apply for Mechanical because my grades wouldn't allow me to. Predicted ABB with no fourth AS. Surprised i even got in to King's. Plus I'm not doing Physics either.

UCL said they'd email me in 10 days time. If they don't reply by then i have to email them. It's been 2 weeks and nothing yet. I'm not gonna go there for Biochemical anyway, should i might aswell tell them i'd like an offer for Mechanical Engineering? Hmmm...
Reply 9
look
I'm not gonna go there for Biochemical anyway, should i might aswell tell them i'd like an offer for Mechanical Engineering? Hmmm...

You won't lose anything just for trying, would you?

_______

I am considering King's just as my insurance choice, since their offer is quite low, and I don't like it very much. Still watiting for Imperial.

Cheers.
Reply 10
Course structure is ridiculous for a mechanical eng degree tbh. too much electronics stuff, not a lot mechanical stuff. If you dont like the course structure you MUST NOT go there, cause I am 70% sure you will drop out (subjects that you dont want to study is the worst that can happen to you at a university, seriously). try UCL (course structure there was okey if I remember correctly) and if they reject you maybe reapply or do something else(QMUL?) but dont go to a place where you will feel you dont want to go (I love Kings as a uni but engineering is not their priority and the modules are madness in your case)
Reply 11
Thing is, i do find computing and electronics interesting, just didn't want to pursue a career in it. Hmmm... What's the usual rules and stuff regarding switching to similar courses after the first year???
Reply 12
Does anyone else know that they are not doing Mechanical Engineering from 2010 entry?
It sucks so much as I REALLY wanted to go there! :frown:
Reply 13

Does anyone else know that they are not doing Mechanical Engineering from 2010 entry?
It sucks so much as I REALLY wanted to go there!

Yeah, I've looked it up on King's' website in which they're also stopping electronic engineering as well.

Latest