Turn on thread page Beta

Hi there everyone - i just want some advice regarding SOAS. I have a BA from the states and want to pursue a taught masters at SOAS in african studies.. anyone know anything about that department or even SOAS in general? i've heard amazing things from professors here and am excited to apply.. any advice/comments would be great..

email me if you like:[email protected]

emily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radiothom)
    Hi there everyone - i just want some advice regarding SOAS. I have a BA from the states and want to pursue a taught masters at SOAS in african studies.. anyone know anything about that department or even SOAS in general? i've heard amazing things from professors here and am excited to apply.. any advice/comments would be great..

emily
    never heard of soas - i thought you meant soaps on the title of this thread and spelt it wrong lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    never heard of soas - i thought you meant soaps on the title of this thread and spelt it wrong lol
    School of Oriental and African Studies, part of the University of London

Ooooh, I'm applying to do a BA there this year and your the first person i've spoken to even considering it.
    Soas does have a great international reputation and rightly so according to what i've heard. It recently came 4th in the country in a renowned annual newspaper report.
    Only bad points i have encountered so far is the location of one of the campuses - in Islington quite a bad part of London, however if you're applying to do a postgraduate degree you're likely to be situated at the other campus - Russell Square, which is very nice. However i think the postgrduate accommodation (Paul Robeson?) is next to the other campus. This is very pricey - about £100 p/w, but is because it is in Zone 1.
    If you want any other info just ask - I seem to have become quite an expert on Soas in light of having noone else to ask about it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to do BA Economics and Japanese there. It's not my first choice since I prefer the other courses I have applied to but I wouldn't mind since I love the Japanese culture and just have to learn how to speak it soon!

(Original post by jediknight007)
    I'm applying to do BA Economics and Japanese there. It's not my first choice since I prefer the other courses I have applied to but I wouldn't mind since I love the Japanese culture and just have to learn how to speak it soon!
    Economics is part of the joint degree I'm applying fotr too!
    Out of interest, what are your predicted grades? Because I have heard economics is quite hard to get into!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpikeyBob)
    Economics is part of the joint degree I'm applying fotr too!
    Out of interest, what are your predicted grades? Because I have heard economics is quite hard to get into!
    ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radiothom)

emily
    In China,SOAS is famous for its foundation course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    http://www.unofficial-guides.com/guides/soas.html is a good place to start - it's an impartial look at facilities/stats etc.

SOAS is very well respected but it very small - might be worth bearing in mind and if you can afford it visiting the place.

And on looking in the comments section you've already found it.

Have you thought about contacting the students union for more student centred information (the profs anywhere will do their best to sell the place to you).
    I am SOAS graduate, I think it's a very well-respected university with high quality of teaching and have a good environment between students and teacher usually lack of in a big university. I enjoyed my years there. In the Times World University ranking 2004, it is the 7th ranked UK university, ranked 44 in the WORLD, surprassing most of the UK universities, and even some US Ivy league colleges like Dartmouth and Brown, and many world institutions like UBC in Canada. I am not those obsessive about uni league, but i think it is a good indicator of SOAS's international reputation.

Here is a good description of the uni in general:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_...frican_Studies

Hope it will be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    SOAS is a good uni for cultural studies type stuff.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.