Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Laptop making the connect/disconnect noise. Driving me mental. Watch

ReputationRep:
    All morning my laptop keeps making the usb connect/disconnect noise every so often. You know the "duh-dum....duh-duh" (my very best description). Its driving me mental, I just want to listen to my music in peace. xD

Theres nothing plugged in the USB ports, i havent used the USB ports for a few days in fact. Is there any quick fixes to this problem?

*using basic vista on a Dell 1525 (the worst laptop in the world officially)*

EDIT: Right, ive disabled the sounds in question in the sound settings, but is there a way to just fix it alltogether (hardware)
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    It might, rather counter-intuitively, be connecting/disconnecting something internal, such as Wifi or Bluetooth. A bodge fix would simply be to disable the sound effect in Sound properties (it's listed as Device Connect/Device Disconnect), it sounds mostly like a Windows bug.

ReputationRep:
    Is Windows all up to date?

ReputationRep:
    Could be a loose connection, my screen (dell laptop also) makes the noise when i close the screen, so that might be what it is.

ReputationRep:
    my laptop does it when i move it, it's because of the bad quality webcam inside. I thought disabling the driver would work... now it moans even more

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: March 1, 2009
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you shell out for travel insurance?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.