what do you consider to be a "good" IB score? Watch

lalala31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not saying that people who haven't done the IB shouldn't be able to post their opinions on this thread, but paddy_power you obviously don't seem to have any understanding of the amount of effort that the IB involves, and suggesting that anything under 38 isn't good just shows this. I have many friends who take A-levels and without wishing to put down their achievements I would say that the IB does involve a lot more work, simply because of the number of subjects. I've put everything else on hold in the run up to my exams, driving lessons, a social life etc, whilst my A-level friends seem to enjoy going out just as much as ever.

Personally I think above 32 is a decent score, above 35 is good (as most Russell group Uni's seem to be asking for somewhere above 35-ish points) and above 38 is excellent. Anyone who gets above 43 must just be a genius. Just my opinion
TI-84
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
1) the thread said nothing about only IB people offering opinions.
2) Im fairly sure i know more people taking the IB than you do?
3) My school offers IB and so i do indeed have a perspective which is adequet to offer response.
4) your statement alludes to the fact that 40+ is not good?? how foolish
5) Finally, just because your opinion differs to mine does not make it any more correct and, just because you evidenly feel defensive (probably due to your own poor performance) does not mean you should spout your idiocy here or anywhere.

i suggest you grow up, do some revision instead of attempting to give imput which, as is obvious to me, you have little ability to do productively.

this said, good luck in what ever you are doing =]

i look forward to the neg =]
I wont be negging you, dont worry.
However, I doubt you know more people who have taken/taking IB than me, as I'm an IB graduate?
While my statement might allude to the fact that 40+ is not a good score, you can clearly tell that I figure that 40+ is a brilliant score to achieve.
As for my IB score, I got 36 last year - which I think is a good score.
"Good" to me is defined in the statistics that are published by the IB every year.
The top 8%, if that, get 40+, that's not good, that's exceptional. In my opinion good is between top 10% to top 20%.

p.s. learn to spell, and now go back to your revision college kid.
Talk Tok
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TI-84)
However, I doubt you know more people who have taken/taking IB than me, as I'm an IB graduate?
While my statement might allude to the fact that 40+ is not a good score, you can clearly tell that I figure that 40+ is a brilliant score to achieve.
"Good" to me is defined in the statistics that are published by the IB every year.
The top 8%, if that, get 40+, that's not good, that's exceptional. In my opinion good is between top 10% to top 20%.

Thing is, it's most likely relative to what you scored. If you scored 32, for instance, you'd probably still say it's a good score. You have 36, you're saying that is a good score. If you scored 40, you'd say that is a good score and that 43 and above is exceptional. It's predominantly relative to what you score at the end I suppose - though this probably rules out for those who scored less than the average 30 points last year.

Alternatively, it could depend on the candidate's initial expectations/targets. My overall predicted grade that was sent to uni was 36 points.. but I was targetted 40 at the start because of my GCSE results, so i'd be a little disappointed at the end if I don't score 38. But I would still regard a score of 34 or above as 'good', since my hardest offer only requires that. :tongue:
(Manchester BA Law with Politics).
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TI-84)

which is your opinion. mine was mine.

i can spell fine ta =]
Talk Tok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
41/42 good

38 decent

less...not so great
What do you base this on?
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Talk Tok)
What do you base this on?
just an opinion, doesnt have to have a basis.

I think that in A levels good is 4 A's

and ib i think good is 42.

=]
CrazyPyramid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well a basis usually helps an opinion :P. Oxford offers I have seen are usually around 38 - so Oxford want people with less than good scores then.....
jay8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CrazyPyramid)
Well a basis usually helps an opinion :P. Oxford offers I have seen are usually around 38 - so Oxford want people with less than good scores then.....
Just to point out, 38 is the low end. Many colleges are still asking for 40 (with 7 in relevant HL subjects). But as he said 42 is good, your point still stands. Oxford won't ask for more than 40 ever.
Talk Tok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just an opinion, doesnt have to have a basis.

I think that in A levels good is 4 A's

and ib i think good is 42.

=]
Ironic since you're averaging a B yet you consider 4 A's as "good" - even the top scoring 5 A students on this forum would consider 4 A's as "excellent", and a B averaging student only calls 4 A's good.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ironic since you're averaging a B yet you consider 4 A's as "good" - even the top scoring 5 A students on this forum would consider 4 A's as "excellent", and a B averaging student only calls 4 A's good.
Yes, but your fail to realise that i have at no point said i consider my own performance good, my performance is poor.

Also, what the top performing people on this site would consider good has no bearing on my opinion, which I have already said.

And it is hardly uncommon that someone who gets 4/5 As would like to consider themselves excellent.

If people ask for opinions and then become defensive purely because they disagree.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just to point out, 38 is the low end. Many colleges are still asking for 40 (with 7 in relevant HL subjects). But as he said 42 is good, your point still stands. Oxford won't ask for more than 40 ever
fair point, although oxford also ask, on the most part, for 3 As which in turn is not exactly exceptional.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lalala31)
I'm not saying that people who haven't done the IB shouldn't be able to post their opinions on this thread, but paddy_power you obviously don't seem to have any understanding of the amount of effort that the IB involves, and suggesting that anything under 38 isn't good just shows this. I have many friends who take A-levels and without wishing to put down their achievements I would say that the IB does involve a lot more work, simply because of the number of subjects. I've put everything else on hold in the run up to my exams, driving lessons, a social life etc, whilst my A-level friends seem to enjoy going out just as much as ever.

Personally I think above 32 is a decent score, above 35 is good (as most Russell group Uni's seem to be asking for somewhere above 35-ish points) and above 38 is excellent. Anyone who gets above 43 must just be a genius. Just my opinion
I have full understanding, I just feel that when someone makes the choice to Do IB rather than other qualifications then they cannot use workload as a reason for lower scores. I understand your point, but my school makes you do cass even if your doing A levels, I Just dont feel impressed when someone says they got 38/45 i think its because its so far from full score.

As has been said though, It is all relevant to peoples personal abilities and expectations
gingerbread_traveller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have full understanding, I just feel that when someone makes the choice to Do IB rather than other qualifications then they cannot use workload as a reason for lower scores. I understand your point, but my school makes you do cass even if your doing A levels, I Just dont feel impressed when someone says they got 38/45 i think its because its so far from full score.

As has been said though, It is all relevant to peoples personal abilities and expectations

I really think that's not fair, I think the people who could only truly compare are those who have done both, so probably a tiny portion of teenagers who have taken both exams. The world average is something like 32, so I think not being impressed with someone who gets a 35 is quite ill-advised seeing as half of the IB-ers get lower than 32 (or whatever the average is, it's low 30s).

I don't know if you're referring to workload for each subject but obviously overall there's a lot more work which gets people down.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gingerbread_traveller)
I really think that's not fair, I think the people who could only truly compare are those who have done both, so probably a tiny portion of teenagers who have taken both exams. The world average is something like 32, so I think not being impressed with someone who gets a 35 is quite ill-advised seeing as half of the IB-ers get lower than 32 (or whatever the average is, it's low 30s).

I don't know if you're referring to workload for each subject but obviously overall there's a lot more work which gets people down.
i agree with your first sentence that the only people who can compare are those who do both. But also, the term 'A levels' is ambiguous as noone has said how many... you do 6 subjects at IB yes? so 6 A levels would correspond surely.

And if 32 is average then i wouldnt say 10% added on would constitute a good score.

this said, i approachedthe question simply as good vs the rest.

i dint relaise people would be then giving scores as good/ bad/ really good/ great/ amazing etc...

i f i had this basis then my categorisation would have been different.

0-32 = meh
33-37= ok
38-40=good
41-43= impressive
44-45 = woo XD

or something similar
moneyfaery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1) the thread said nothing about only IB people offering opinions.
2) Im fairly sure i know more people taking the IB than you do?
3) My school offers IB and so i do indeed have a perspective which is adequet to offer response.
What does knowing IB candidates have to do with it? :rolleyes: I may know a lot of -insert description- of people, but I don't know anything ABOUT them. And sure, you have a perspective, but that's all it is - a limited view from the perspective of an A-levels (?) candidate. I wouldn't say your opinion is invalid, but unless you've actually taken IB and have gone through whatever we go through, I'd say your opinion is less valuable.

For the record, I consider 40+ "good" because that's what I expect. I will be disappointed if I achieve anything less. However, if everyone suddenly started to get 40s, it would take away from my achievement and my expectations would increase. Generally speaking, average is "good", above average is "excellent", below average is "satisfactory".
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moneyfaery)
What does knowing IB candidates have to do with it? :rolleyes: I may know a lot of -insert description- of people, but I don't know anything ABOUT them. And sure, you have a perspective, but that's all it is - a limited view from the perspective of an A-levels (?) candidate. I wouldn't say your opinion is invalid, but unless you've actually taken IB and have gone through whatever we go through, I'd say your opinion is less valuable.

For the record, I consider 40+ "good" because that's what I expect. I will be disappointed if I achieve anything less. However, if everyone suddenly started to get 40s, it would take away from my achievement and my expectations would increase. Generally speaking, average is "good", above average is "excellent", below average is "satisfactory".
Just because you dont know anything about them doesnt know i dont? you cant judge me by your standards.

also, what you just gave was an opinion, much the same as mine. Neither ismore valid than the other.

By your token, people who have not taken A levels are therefore not qualified to offer valuable opinions on them? and people who have never murdered similarly have a less valuable opinion? I doubt yourlogic...yet respect your opinion.

Next.... ( your like the 6/7 person so far)

destracting me from msn ¬¬ lol
moneyfaery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just because you dont know anything about them doesnt know i dont? you cant judge me by your standards.

also, what you just gave was an opinion, much the same as mine. Neither ismore valid than the other.

By your token, people who have not taken A levels are therefore not qualified to offer valuable opinions on them? and people who have never murdered similarly have a less valuable opinion? I doubt yourlogic...yet respect your opinion.
I never said you don't know anything. That's quite ridiculous to assume. No, of course, your opinion is not invalid - it's an opinion, after all. But for our purposes, it's less valuable because OP likely wanted insight from those who have taken IB courses and would thus be able to give score values based on the difficulty of courses.

Perhaps I should have phrased my reply better. Those who haven't taken A-levels/IB/whatever can offer "valuable" opinions but they better damn well qualify how they came to that conclusion. "Knowing people" is not a good qualification.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, your opinion could be valuable, but in a different sense. It serves to illustrate how people assume they know something just because they know a bit of it. This is not an attack but merely an observation. I'm as guilty as you (can you pick out where? >D)
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moneyfaery)
I never said you don't know anything. That's quite ridiculous to assume. No, of course, your opinion is not invalid - it's an opinion, after all. But for our purposes, it's less valuable because OP likely wanted insight from those who have taken IB courses and would thus be able to give score values based on the difficulty of courses.

Perhaps I should have phrased my reply better. Those who haven't taken A-levels/IB/whatever can offer "valuable" opinions but they better damn well qualify how they came to that conclusion. "Knowing people" is not a good qualification.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, your opinion could be valuable, but in a different sense. It serves to illustrate how people assume they know something just because they know a bit of it. This is not an attack but merely an observation. I'm as guilty as you (can you pick out where? >D)
well you assumed i have never done/ am not doing ib? lol

sorry itook so long to reply ^^
Talk Tok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i agree with your first sentence that the only people who can compare are those who do both. But also, the term 'A levels' is ambiguous as noone has said how many... you do 6 subjects at IB yes? so 6 A levels would correspond surely.

And if 32 is average then i wouldnt say 10% added on would constitute a good score.

this said, i approachedthe question simply as good vs the rest.

i dint relaise people would be then giving scores as good/ bad/ really good/ great/ amazing etc...

i f i had this basis then my categorisation would have been different.

0-32 = meh
33-37= ok
38-40=good
41-43= impressive
44-45 = woo XD

or something similar
Sorry but to put things in perspective... you're terribly informed. And I find it EXCEEDINGLY ironic that you, a B student for A-levels, are only considering 38 points + as good. If you follow the UCAS tariff (which is debatably flawed, but anyway), then 32 points for the IB equates to 4 A's for A-level. Your categorisation is absolutely useless. No one in their mind would agree with you. As I said earlier in this thread, this would all come down to relativity. As someone that is predicted 36, I would consider 34 or above as good. But a lot of my friends who are predicted 40+ also agree that 34 or above is good (although those predicted in the high 40's may disagree). But let me reitorate... it's just so ironic and somewhat hypocritical that someone averaging a B for A-levels, which equates to probably 28-30 points for the IB (which isn't bad, actually), comes out saying "only 38 points is good".

How would you even define good? Is entrance into Oxbridge, LSE or Imperial just "good?", not "excellent" or "exceptional?". Considering they're the top 5 HE institutions in the country, and considering that the offers from these unis range from 38-40. (37 is common for LSE and Imperial actually). You have no basis to your opinion, and you really need one... so far, you have been very unconvincing.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry but to put things in perspective... you're terribly informed. And I find it EXCEEDINGLY ironic that you, a B student for A-levels, are only considering 38 points + as good. If you follow the UCAS tariff (which is debatably flawed, but anyway), then 32 points for the IB equates to 4 A's for A-level. Your categorisation is absolutely useless. No one in their mind would agree with you. As I said earlier in this thread, this would all come down to relativity. As someone that is predicted 36, I would consider 34 or above as good. But a lot of my friends who are predicted 40+ also agree that 34 or above is good (although those predicted in the high 40's may disagree). But let me reitorate... it's just so ironic and somewhat hypocritical that someone averaging a B for A-levels, which equates to probably 28-30 points for the IB (which isn't bad, actually), comes out saying "only 38 points is good".

How would you even define good? Is entrance into Oxbridge, LSE or Imperial just "good?", not "excellent" or "exceptional?". Considering they're the top 5 HE institutions in the country, and considering that the offers from these unis range from 38-40. (37 is common for LSE and Imperial actually). You have no basis to your opinion, and you really need one... so far, you have been very unconvincing.

my performance at a levels has no bearing on my opinions of what is good or not, unless i had stated i thought i was good.

thats like saying that someone who is rubbish at football cant say that ronaldo is good (debateable i know ).

and i have no need to convinceyou or anyone my love, my opinion is mine and i dont much care if noone shares it.

evidently you are less confortable with people having varying opinions to your own.

also.

1) i should have said 45 was decent i suppose: would have inspired people to entertain me ^^

2) im not the only one who said 42 my dear.

anyways if your replying i may be slow to reply back as i need to do something.

toodles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19