moneyfaery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
well you assumed i have never done/ am not doing ib? lol

sorry itook so long to reply ^^
If you had done IB, you would have said so.

Besides:

Academic Info:
Btec national diploma in year 11.

now im doing a levels.
1) i should have said 45 was decent i suppose: would have inspired people to entertain me
If you were going to troll, you should have just said so. What a disappointment.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moneyfaery)
If you had done IB, you would have said so.

Besides:
fair play XD ;p

although i could be doing it as well as a levels or could have done it when i was 8.

=p, but given the information i concede lol
moneyfaery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
although i could be doing it as well as a levels or could have done it when i was 8.
Based on that, I think we can safely say that you don't know as much as you think you do about IB, ergo I win!
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Based on that, I think we can safely say that you don't know as much as you think you do about IB, ergo I win!
im honestly no expert on IB, or a levels lol. XD.

but im interested to learn so why would you not be able to satisfy either of the things i said?
moneyfaery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im honestly no expert on IB, or a levels lol. XD.

but im interested to learn so why would you not be able to satisfy either of the things i said?
IB is taken (in the UK) the last 2 years of college before university i.e. candidates are 16-18 years old (usually). I'm not sure if there's a minimum age limit but there might be.

Taking IB in tandem with A-levels is redundant, unnecessary, and most likely impossible due to time constraints. It would be like taking A-levels and BTEC or whatever at the same time with max course loads. I don't think it would be even humanly possible to satisfy all the course requirements and hours i.e. teaching x hours with x hours of 'lab work'.

Ah well, you've learned something today. ^_^
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IB is taken (in the UK) the last 2 years of college before university i.e. candidates are 16-18 years old (usually). I'm not sure if there's a minimum age limit but there might be.

Taking IB in tandem with A-levels is redundant, unnecessary, and most likely impossible due to time constraints. It would be like taking A-levels and BTEC or whatever at the same time with max course loads. I don't think it would be even humanly possible to satisfy all the course requirements and hours i.e. teaching x hours with x hours of 'lab work'.

Ah well, you've learned something today. ^_^
i thought you were hinting there were actual rules against it.

while it is evidently unlikely that either of them would be true i could have been doing/ done the ib ;p

plus i swear i remember reading there is like a lower IB equal to gcses or something although it was a long time ago so i may be confused with euro bac or some obscure qualification.

=]
moneyfaery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
while it is evidently unlikely that either of them would be true i could have been doing/ done the ib ;p
The probabilities of that are close to nil so therefore nil: much like 0.999999 = 1, 0.000001 = 0. Besides, child geniuses wouldn't waste their time on TSR. There are much more interesting things to do than replying to posts.

plus i swear i remember reading there is like a lower IB equal to gcses or something although it was a long time ago so i may be confused with euro bac or some obscure qualification.
There is the lower years and middle years program or whatever, however, they're not "really" IB but more or less preparatory courses for the "real" IB, which is when you get /45 points.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The probabilities of that are close to nil so therefore nil: much like 0.999999 = 1, 0.000001 = 0. Besides, child geniuses wouldn't waste their time on TSR. There are much more interesting things to do than replying to posts.

There is the lower years and middle years program or whatever, however, they're not "really" IB but more or less preparatory courses for the "real" IB, which is when you get /45 points.
ahh yes but if i had been one i could have become a layabout teenager XD
E_D_B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A guy in my year is taking A-level Russian on top of the IB, and he got an A at AS level. He's probably going to get 43+ as well. So it's possible. Not that's I'd ever attempt it.
gingerbread_traveller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i agree with your first sentence that the only people who can compare are those who do both. But also, the term 'A levels' is ambiguous as noone has said how many... you do 6 subjects at IB yes? so 6 A levels would correspond surely.

And if 32 is average then i wouldnt say 10% added on would constitute a good score.

this said, i approachedthe question simply as good vs the rest.

i dint relaise people would be then giving scores as good/ bad/ really good/ great/ amazing etc...

i f i had this basis then my categorisation would have been different.

0-32 = meh
33-37= ok
38-40=good
41-43= impressive
44-45 = woo XD

or something similar
Yes, but we do six subjects, and if everyone did six subjects at a-level then it would be a lot more comparable than it is now. Also, we do three subjects at standard level, so theoretically these are the ones we find hardest. A levels are chosen for that person's strengths, in your highers you could get 777 then in standards 444 and this would add up to 33 (exc bonus points obv), when at A levels you would get AAA (assuming you did those highers).

So I don't think an opinion of overall scores is that reliable, I know it's what uni's go on but you can't say 37 is just "ok", top schools like LSE ask for 37, as well as it being an Oxford offer (I know they mostly give out 38's but I've known some people who have had science offers at 37).
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gingerbread_traveller)
Yes, but we do six subjects, and if everyone did six subjects at a-level then it would be a lot more comparable than it is now. Also, we do three subjects at standard level, so theoretically these are the ones we find hardest. A levels are chosen for that person's strengths, in your highers you could get 777 then in standards 444 and this would add up to 33 (exc bonus points obv), when at A levels you would get AAA (assuming you did those highers).

So I don't think an opinion of overall scores is that reliable, I know it's what uni's go on but you can't say 37 is just "ok", top schools like LSE ask for 37, as well as it being an Oxford offer (I know they mostly give out 38's but I've known some people who have had science offers at 37).
are standard like As standard and highers like A2?
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
pretty much, give or take in various subjects.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would absolutely love to get 36 - it's my offer from UCL [which I LOVED]. I could deal with 34 which would get me into Kings, but any lower and I'll be very disappointed in myself.

So yeah, 34-36 I think.
pianofingers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ignoring the UCAS tariff for a moment, one could roughly categorise the results this way, based on what universities generally tend to, give or take, ask for A-level and for IB in their own 'equivalent' terms.

42 - AAAA
38 - AAA
36 - AAB
34 - ABB
32 - BBB
30 - BBC

etc etc.

But yes the comparison is very debatable and you only need to search the forums for the numerous IB vs A-level threads.
gingerbread_traveller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well yes but as someone pointed out it can be done weirdly like 45 points is AAAAAAc or something like that (not exactly obv but it's similar). And also as someone said, not all subjects. For example, at my school standards and highers are mixed for: English, history, econ, psych and ITGS, the exams aren't overly different, just like in English the you do one more internal assessment and sit another paper but the content is basically the same.
talespirit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ultimately...it goes like this....

Predicted Grades: A good score is anything above what the uni/course you want to get into requires.

Final Grades: Anything which allows you to meet your Firm offer conditions.

For me...i missed my 36pt 666HL offer by getting (40pt 665HL)...so it wasn't good, but if my offer was 36pts no HL requirement, i'd consider 40pts 665HL very good ^^.
moneyfaery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by E_D_B)
A guy in my year is taking A-level Russian on top of the IB, and he got an A at AS level. He's probably going to get 43+ as well. So it's possible. Not that's I'd ever attempt it.
That AS is just like a 7th subject though, which is definitely possible. But to attempt 3 A-levels AND the IB Diploma doesn't even sound plausible.
GoingRaw
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by talespirit)
Ultimately...it goes like this....

For me...i missed my 36pt 666HL offer by getting (40pt 665HL)...so it wasn't good, but if my offer was 36pts no HL requirement, i'd consider 40pts 665HL very good ^^.
Ouch, that must sting...You'd think the Uni's would prefer a student capable of getting 40pts in the IB overall over someone getting 36 but with 1 sole point more in a HL. That's quite a ridiculous Uni policy, that they're so inflexible and mechanical. Did you contact them or appeal their decision?
talespirit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GoingRaw)
Ouch, that must sting...You'd think the Uni's would prefer a student capable of getting 40pts in the IB overall over someone getting 36 but with 1 sole point more in a HL. That's quite a ridiculous Uni policy, that they're so inflexible and mechanical. Did you contact them or appeal their decision?
Oh they did let me in anyway...but after about 2 months of agonized waiting for the a-level results to come out
mustang51hk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Talk Tok)
By the way, I have an HKUST BBA offer as well, but i'm skipping the deposit.. no intention of staying in HK for uni.
Haha, well HKUST's business program is pretty good however my mind is on politics really. Anyhow I have paid the deposit just as HKUST is going to be my safety in HK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby