This discussion is closed.
poppet
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi!

I'm not sure whether I'm good at maths or not. I get good grades but I wouldn't say I had a special talent for it. I work really hard but I do like maths and hope to study it at university. I'm doing A-level maths and further maths and hope to do the maths AEA but i don't think i'm good enough. Should I go for it? Has anyone else done it? I heard that only 1000 people did it last year and only 30% of those passed.
Also the universities I've applied for are they quite demanding: warwick, durham and york?

Any help much appreciated

L
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Nothing ventured, nothing gained (though I prefer "No guts no glory"). Go for it! Your work ethic should see you through.
DanielW2
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I got a merit for AEA Maths last year. As I recall, it was near the end of my exam period, so didn't interfere very much with anything else. It is extremely difficult, but it doesn't count towards offers, so that takes a lot off the pressure off, and, this being the case, you may well enjoy it. The questions are quite possibly going to be the hardest you've ever encountered, and if you like maths this will be good. I say go for it.
DanielW2
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
PS I've just started at Durham. If you've done further maths the course so far is not easy but certainly fairly doable.

I got an offer from Warwick also, and thus went to look around. I got the impression that maths was the jewel in their crown (I believe their offers for maths are quite a bit higher than for anything else ?). I would guess that the course is a little tougher at Warwick, but I didn't like the place, and so here I am.

Which Durham college have you applied to, by the way ?
Unregistered:P
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanielW2)
PS I've just started at Durham. If you've done further maths the course so far is not easy but certainly fairly doable.

I got an offer from Warwick also, and thus went to look around. I got the impression that maths was the jewel in their crown (I believe their offers for maths are quite a bit higher than for anything else ?). I would guess that the course is a little tougher at Warwick, but I didn't like the place, and so here I am.

Which Durham college have you applied to, by the way ?
At Warwick, maths offer is AAB, law however is AAAc.
Unregistered47
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered:P)
At Warwick, maths offer is AAB, law however is AAAc.
Warwick also ask for grade 2 in a step paper in addition to AAB for Maths.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanielW2)
I got a merit for AEA Maths last year. As I recall, it was near the end of my exam period, so didn't interfere very much with anything else. It is extremely difficult, but it doesn't count towards offers, so that takes a lot off the pressure off, and, this being the case, you may well enjoy it. The questions are quite possibly going to be the hardest you've ever encountered, and if you like maths this will be good. I say go for it.
Hardest Maths paper ever is STEP 3 - even most maths teachers can't cope with it!
stoney1986
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
if you dont try it then you will only look back regreting what you have done. and think if your one of the 30%, what sort of carear could you end up with.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (35)
14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (54)
21.6%
Live streaming events (24)
9.6%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (24)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (59)
23.6%
An in-person event when available (54)
21.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise