This discussion is closed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)
Maths and Philosophy.

On the maths part of the course, I hope to do as much pure as possible! I cannot stand statistics, lol.
Statistics puts me to sleep. I love pure maths though.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Stats is so easy man! I can't stand calculus! Oh great, the whole three years is basically calculus :rolleyes:
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Stats is so easy man! I can't stand calculus! Oh great, the whole three years is basically calculus :rolleyes:
Which part of caluclus? Obviously not the basic calculus. Do you mean you dont like differentiation of trig?
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Which part of caluclus? Obviously not the basic calculus. Do you mean you dont like differentiation of trig?
Yeah that. And the chain, product and quotient rules. I don't mind doing it for kinematics but I'm not a physicist at all!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah that. And the chain, product and quotient rules. I don't mind doing it for kinematics but I'm not a physicist at all!
Sorry, I cant be your friend no more.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Sorry, I cant be your friend no more.
I have no respect for myself either. <sobs> That's why I need you man!!!
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
go by train and take that one. (see manchester = bad). You probably want to leave about an hour spare incase anything happens to the train, so its not really that bad. Go and look around the 'nice' city.
This person has quite obviously never been to Manchester, and can't see past the fact they have a better football team than the one he supports! But thats irrelevant...
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
This person has quite obviously never been to Manchester, and can't see past the fact they have a better football team than the one he supports! But thats irrelevant...
yes i have been, and i wasn't very impressed.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Seeing as you've applied to Manchester, I know you quite easily kill two hours seeing the sights. Presuming you get into Manchester Piccadilly, you can walk to the city centre in 10 minutes or take the free bus. Once there, there is always the Arndale Centre but to be honest if you've seen one shopping centre you've seen them all. Selfridges and Harvey Nics are better bets. I got a free pint last time I wondered into Harvey Nics.

Alternatively, try be the Urbis Centre. It's a museum, granted, but it's good and is located in one of the best looking building I've ever seen. It's also easy walking from the train station.

Alternatively, why not take a leisurely walk up Oxford Road towards the universities? There are some great pubs on the way, and as you are attending a university open day I reckon there will be dozens of people just like you on the train. Befriend one of them for the day, and you'll even have some company!

A word of advice, if you do end up exploring the city centre, make sure you get to the bus stop at Piccadilly Gardens about 30 mins before your interview or appointment. Look for a Magic Bus (big double decker, painted blue) as all of these go to the university. The other bus companies do too, just check with the driver because not all the routes go that way.

If you have any other Manchester questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. Trust me on one thing though, any hours you do have spare will fly past.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yes i have been, and i wasn't very impressed.
Please enlighten me as to why, and I quote, "Manchester=bad". It's got everything.
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Please enlighten me as to why, and I quote, "Manchester=bad". It's got everything.
my impressions of it weren't great, but I wasn't there for a long time and maybe it 'grows' on you. Anyway, it was mainly down to the footballing rivalry, though backed up by the fact that I didn't like the place. Driving was a nightmare and it just looked down-trodden. I wasn't impressed with the china 'town' which someone had talked up. I did however around old trafford for a bit. Plus, I did recommend he looked around the city, just to see if he could spend 3 years there.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my impressions of it weren't great, but I wasn't there for a long time and maybe it 'grows' on you. Anyway, it was mainly down to the footballing rivalry, though backed up by the fact that I didn't like the place. Driving was a nightmare and it just looked down-trodden. I wasn't impressed with the china 'town' which someone had talked up. I did however around old trafford for a bit. Plus, I did recommend he looked around the city, just to see if he could spend 3 years there.
I'm interested by your use of the word down-trodden as compared to Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham, Nottingham and London (the 5 other cities I know best) it comes out very favourably indeed. Driving is a nightmare granted, but tell me anywhere in this country where it isn't, and where there isn't a congestion charge. At least the parking rates aren't obscene.

Old Trafford is a hole, but no one in their right mind would particularly want to go there anyway.

As someone who has been here for a few months now, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Thanks Tednol, I will try and look those up. I quite liked York, though the weather helped with the impression. But I understand Manchester is a bit more like London, which suits me fine! I don't mind if it's a dump really, seeing as I've been living in Tower Hamlets my whole life, and what a dump that is. So long as there's a decent place to go once in a while...
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks Tednol, I will try and look those up. I quite liked York, though the weather helped with the impression. But I understand Manchester is a bit more like London, which suits me fine! I don't mind if it's a dump really, seeing as I've been living in Tower Hamlets my whole life, and what a dump that is. So long as there's a decent place to go once in a while...
Manchester is a joy to explore. Didsbury, a small village, is about 10 minutes from the student accommodation on the bus and it everything you'd expect from a village including some top local pubs. And the city centre is as nice a city centre as you could hope to see. It was destroyed by an IRA bomb in the mid 90's, and has been rebuilt to a very high standard.
Juwel
Rep:
?
This one's mainly for the Manchester heads...

Anyone know how long it takes to get from Manchester University in Oxford Road to Manchester Piccadilly station? The coach that the uni is offering would get there at about 4:40pm which is cutting it fine for the return ticket I want to get. Anyone got a quicker way, and how???
mikesgt2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ZJuwelH... can I just ask you how smart you are going to dress.

At the moment I am intending to wear smart cloths as in a shirt and tie, but not a suit. I don't want to be over/underdressed!
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
This one's mainly for the Manchester heads...

Anyone know how long it takes to get from Manchester University in Oxford Road to Manchester Piccadilly station? The coach that the uni is offering would get there at about 4:40pm which is cutting it fine for the return ticket I want to get. Anyone got a quicker way, and how???
If you get a taxi, which will cost about £6, it'll be 5-10 minutes.

If you get a bus to Piccadilly Gardens and then walk to Piccadilly Station, you want to give it 30 minutes but bear in mind extra traffic at rush hour time...

Ed
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikesgt2)
ZJuwelH... can I just ask you how smart you are going to dress.

At the moment I am intending to wear smart cloths as in a shirt and tie, but not a suit. I don't want to be over/underdressed!
Shirt and tie? I thought it was informal :confused:! I was going to wear my Man Utd shirt...
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Shirt and tie? I thought it was informal :confused:! I was going to wear my Man Utd shirt...
Is it an interview or open day?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Is it an interview or open day?
They say "Visiting Day" but they will interview us at the end of it. So I guess it's an informal thing, as is my Queen Mary visit the day before. But I know for sure King's is an interview. Shirt and trousers for that one!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (528)
51.21%
No (503)
48.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed