Any tips for my Key Stage manager interview? Watch

This discussion is closed.
-H-
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I have an interview for Key Stage 1 manager at my current primary school. Do any governors/heads/KS
managers/teachers/cleaners out there have any tips for me regarding research for answering
questions etc.

Could be asked about raising standards and team building.

I have never felt nervous leading up to an interview, but I am now - perhaps it is because if I fail
it will be in front of my peers. Just one other candidate for the job.

Also, what is the definitive job description for a Key Stage manager?

TIA
Clivey
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Raising standards would be a question I expect - using data and individual target setting for an
answer Behaviour? Leading and motivating your team You may be asked how you see the role What will
you add to the role so not just taking over from the other person Encouraging team work is a big
issue - leading team planning meetings. Monitoring staff - performance managment and observations -
setting up team teaching and other staff observing you - leading by example Assemblies - act of
worship, giving time for display to create positive learning environment Working with SENCO to
ensure equal opportunities Devloping ICT

and then any thing else extra e'g school web site?

You must have a job description for the post, if not, ask for one, and then base your preparation on
whta they say the job will involve

Talk about how you would enjoy being involved within SMT whole school issues - policy etc and taking
whole school forward through school development plan. Also whole school - e.g events, summer fete
etc taking a lead role - working with Parent teacher association etc...

Tell the panel what you will offer them and what you will do for the school if appointed.
Ian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:55:59 +0100, -h- wrote:

[q1]> I have an interview for Key Stage 1 manager at my current primary school. Do any[/q1]
[q1]> governors/heads/KS managers/teachers/cleaners out there have any tips for me regarding research[/q1]
[q1]> for answering questions etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Could be asked about raising standards and team building.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I have never felt nervous leading up to an interview, but I am now - perhaps it is because if I[/q1]
[q1]> fail it will be in front of my peers. Just one other candidate for the job.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Also, what is the definitive job description for a Key Stage manager?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> TIA[/q1]

For team building the classic work is Belbin. Try www.belbin.com. Reference to Belbin on any
questions about team building will at least show you have an idea about it.

Regards,
--
IanL
J A A C K
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
yeh dont say u were with STEPs

"-h-" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I have an interview for Key Stage 1 manager at my current primary school.[/q1]
Do
[q1]> any governors/heads/KS managers/teachers/cleaners out there have any tips for me regarding[/q1]
[q1]> research for answering questions etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Could be asked about raising standards and team building.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I have never felt nervous leading up to an interview, but I am now -[/q1]
perhaps
[q1]> it is because if I fail it will be in front of my peers. Just one other candidate for the job.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Also, what is the definitive job description for a Key Stage manager?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> TIA[/q1]
-H-
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Clivey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Raising standards would be a question I expect - using data and individual target setting for an[/q1]
[q1]> answer Behaviour? Leading and motivating your team You may be asked how you see the role What will[/q1]
[q1]> you add to the role so not just taking over from the other[/q1]
person
[q1]> Encouraging team work is a big issue - leading team planning meetings. Monitoring staff -[/q1]
[q1]> performance managment and observations - setting up[/q1]
team
[q1]> teaching and other staff observing you - leading by example Assemblies - act of worship, giving[/q1]
[q1]> time for display to create positive learning environment Working with SENCO to ensure equal[/q1]
[q1]> opportunities Devloping ICT[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> and then any thing else extra e'g school web site?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You must have a job description for the post, if not, ask for one, and[/q1]
then
[q1]> base your preparation on whta they say the job will involve[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Talk about how you would enjoy being involved within SMT whole school issues - policy etc and[/q1]
[q1]> taking whole school forward through school development plan. Also whole school - e.g events,[/q1]
[q1]> summer fete etc taking[/q1]
a
[q1]> lead role - working with Parent teacher association etc...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Tell the panel what you will offer them and what you will do for the[/q1]
school
[q1]> if appointed.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Thank you very much for this - much appreciated.
-H-
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message newsan.2002.06.23.09.40.54.61519.582 [email protected]...

[q1]> For team building the classic work is Belbin. Try www.belbin.com. Reference to Belbin on any[/q1]
[q1]> questions about team building will at least show you have an idea about it.[/q1]

Cheers, are Meredith Belbin and team well known? I had never heard of Belbin before looking
at the site.

An interesting web site. Thanks again.
-H-
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"J A A C K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> yeh dont say u were with STEPs[/q1]

LOL - didn't think of that when I abbreviated my name!

Thanks for making me smile when I am feeling stressed (all this and reports to finish)
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <pan.2002.06.23.09.40.54.61519.5 [email protected]>, Ian <[email protected]> writes:

[q2]>> Also, what is the definitive job description for a Key Stage manager?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> TIA[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>For team building the classic work is Belbin. Try www.belbin.com. Reference to Belbin on any[/q1]
[q1]>questions about team building will at least show you have an idea about it.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

This assumes the HT has an idea about it, of course....

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Ian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:27:01 +0100, SLieber24 wrote:

[q1]> In article <pan.2002.06.23.09.40.54.61519.5 [email protected]>, Ian <[email protected]> writes:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q3]>>> Also, what is the definitive job description for a Key Stage manager?[/q3]
[q3]>>>[/q3]
[q3]>>> TIA[/q3]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>For team building the classic work is Belbin. Try www.belbin.com. Reference to Belbin on any[/q2]
[q2]>>questions about team building will at least show you have an idea about it.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]> This assumes the HT has an idea about it, of course....[/q1]

Not necessarily, if you present it in the right way the audience will be even more impressed if they
haven't heard it. Anyone who has done any further management training is likely to have come across
the work of Belbin. If they ask about team building it seems reasonable that they either no the
basics or will be impressed if they learn something from a candidate.

Regards,

--
IanL
Ian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:54:21 +0100, -h- wrote:

[q1]> "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message newsan.2002.06.23.09.40.54.61519.582 [email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> For team building the classic work is Belbin. Try www.belbin.com. Reference to Belbin on any[/q2]
[q2]>> questions about team building will at least show you have an idea about it.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Cheers, are Meredith Belbin and team well known?[/q1]

Yes, it is the standard work quoted in most advanced diploma/MSc MA courses in education management.
There are a number of others who have taken this further and refined it in different ways but the
essential principles have their roots in Belbin's work. If the interviewer seems not to have heard
of Belbin it probably means that they know little about team building - an excellent opportunity to
show why they should appoint you! One of the things about rational approaches to team building is to
appoint people with complementary skills and knowledge to your own ;-)

Regards,

--
IanL
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (212)
12.76%
Excited (148)
8.91%
Worried (302)
18.18%
Terrified (374)
22.52%
Meh (151)
9.09%
Confused (36)
2.17%