how much of an overdose... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
#1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#1
is worth going to hospital over?
0
dollydaydream
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#2
Report 10 years ago
#2
overdose of what?
0
Lu-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#3
Report 10 years ago
#3
I would say anything over the recommended dosage
1
pinkneon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#4
Report 10 years ago
#4
(Original post by dollydaydream)
overdose of what?
:ditto:
0
red_roses
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
#5
Report 10 years ago
#5
Exactly what the poster said above me—overdose of what?

Either way, don't go extreme in whatever you take, it isn't worth it!
1
dollydaydream
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#6
Report 10 years ago
#6
(Original post by red_roses)
Either way, don't go extreme in whatever you take, it isn't worth it!
This. I mean, if its something like Calpol, I wouldn't bother if you've drunk a whole bottle... but if it's anything stronger... check the packaging.

(although lots of Calpol probably isn't too good for you either lol)
0
The Procrastinator
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#7
Report 10 years ago
#7
(Original post by dollydaydream)
This. I mean, if its something like Calpol, I wouldn't bother if you've drunk a whole bottle... but if it's anything stronger... check the packaging.

(although lots of Calpol probably isn't too good for you either lol)
Mmmm Calpol. I could seriously OD on that stuff.

OP have you taken an overdose or something?? If so get to A&E quick smart!
0
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#8
Report 10 years ago
#8
Oh Calpol tastes awesome. I would happily buy it as a drink.
0
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
#9
Report 10 years ago
#9
i would say if you took more than the daily dose in one go. may be something to worry about. depends on the drug though.

with most of them you can look up on the net how much will kill you
0
forsaken_earth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
#10
Report 10 years ago
#10
if irs heroin, methodone, painkillers etc then yeah go to hospital
0
dob86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#11
Report 10 years ago
#11
Any overdose (perceived or otherwise) needs some sort of attention. The reasons the overdose was taken in the first place needs to be addressed. What the intention of the taker is is important. If it's thought it would kill them it's more important, as opposed to "I took 8 paracetamol today and then one lemsip by accident."
0
Demi-Ciel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#12
Report 10 years ago
#12
What a lot of people don't realise about overdosing is that with something like paracetamol your going to suffer more from the effects the next day and be in excruciating pain. A friend of mine overdosed as he wanted to commit suicide, didnt work but the next day he felt like he was going to die from the pain and went to hospital.

He took quite a lot of packets (not sure on the actual figure) but I would say if you only took a couple of tablets over recommended dose it wouldn't do much harm..
0
Amanda1801
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
#13
Report 10 years ago
#13
These things have an accumulative effect, and sometimes less is more - you could take 64 paracetamol in one go and it'd probably make you physically sick and be out your system, but if you have taken say two tablets every 2 hours rather than every 6 or whatever it is, you could OD unknowingly through it not having time to be metabolised. Also (I'm assuming its painkiller OD?) it screws up your liver, but the consequences aren't apparent straight away. In hospital they will do a test (can't remember what it's called) to see how much of the drug is in your system and how far metabolised it is, and treat (if necessary) accordingly.
0
FoxboroHotTubs:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
#14
Report 10 years ago
#14
It depends. If say you've taken two paracetamol over the recommended dosage you'll probably be fine.
If you've overdosed on anything then it's best to get yourself to A&E for a check up just to make sure.
0
Anonymous #1
#15
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
#15
Thanks for the replies everyone. I rang someone my counsellor gave me the number for, and she said I needed medical attention and phoned an ambulance. I'm okay now
0
Hello_Kitty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
#16
Report 10 years ago
#16
Glad you are OK and get the help you need.
0
martin101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
#17
Report 10 years ago
#17
Just to clarify a few things here. There are some dangerous bits of advice here.

(Original post by Amanda1801)
These things have an accumulative effect, and sometimes less is more - you could take 64 paracetamol in one go and it'd probably make you physically sick and be out your system, but if you have taken say two tablets every 2 hours rather than every 6 or whatever it is, you could OD unknowingly through it not having time to be metabolised. Also (I'm assuming its painkiller OD?) it screws up your liver, but the consequences aren't apparent straight away. In hospital they will do a test (can't remember what it's called) to see how much of the drug is in your system and how far metabolised it is, and treat (if necessary) accordingly.
This is NOT the case. Taking 64 paracetamol without seeking treatment will kill you, no ifs no buts, you will die. This is how 99.9% of people kill themselves every day by overdose. Yes taking them more frequently than recommended will probably **** over your liver pretty good too, but dont think you can get away with taking one massive dose because you cant.


(Original post by dollydaydream)
This. I mean, if its something like Calpol, I wouldn't bother if you've drunk a whole bottle... but if it's anything stronger... check the packaging.

(although lots of Calpol probably isn't too good for you either lol)
Calpol infant suspension contains 120mg of paracetamol per 5ml. This means 42ml of calpol will give you the equivalent of a full adult dose. Now calpol comes in 100 and 200ml bottles, so that means you can have either 2x or 4x the maximum dose of paracetamol if you drink a full bottle. The 6+ formula is even stronger and contains 250mg/5ml giving you a 5x or 10x max dose. Personally I wouldnt particularly like to do that, and imagine if you have any interest in keeping your livers you wont do that either.

Im not doing this just to get narky, Im doing this because what has been said is inherently dangerous. If someone reads this and follows what you have said then they may well end up dead. Dont post crap on a topic like this if you dont think it through.
0
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#18
Report 10 years ago
#18
If you've OD call NHS Direct, tell them exactly what you've taken and how much and they should be able to recommend what to do. In the cases of painkillers say for example its very very important to get yourself checked out as it can really **** you up. I've OD on paracetamol myself, it wasn't pleasent, it was painful and i was pretty much throwing up my insides. I was told that the amount i'd taken (which wasn't even that much) could have killed someone else.

It basically vaires from person to person. If you're at all unsure seek medical attention
0
laura1607
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
#19
Report 10 years ago
#19
According to the BNF, 20 paracetemol in one day is enough to do you in. So yeah, if in doubt, hospital!

And yes, calpol is really tasty, but to reiterate what martin said, drinking it is realllllly not advisable unless you have a liver on ice in your freezer.
0
SnowAngel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#20
Report 10 years ago
#20
(Original post by martin101)
Just to clarify a few things here. There are some dangerous bits of advice here.



This is NOT the case. Taking 64 paracetamol without seeking treatment will kill you, no ifs no buts, you will die. This is how 99.9% of people kill themselves every day by overdose. Yes taking them more frequently than recommended will probably **** over your liver pretty good too, but dont think you can get away with taking one massive dose because you cant.



Calpol infant suspension contains 120mg of paracetamol per 5ml. This means 42ml of calpol will give you the equivalent of a full adult dose. Now calpol comes in 100 and 200ml bottles, so that means you can have either 2x or 4x the maximum dose of paracetamol if you drink a full bottle. The 6+ formula is even stronger and contains 250mg/5ml giving you a 5x or 10x max dose. Personally I wouldnt particularly like to do that, and imagine if you have any interest in keeping your livers you wont do that either.

Im not doing this just to get narky, Im doing this because what has been said is inherently dangerous. If someone reads this and follows what you have said then they may well end up dead. Dont post crap on a topic like this if you dont think it through.

Can it kill you even if you do seek treatment?
0
X
new posts
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.44%
Pop (214)
24.71%
Jazz (33)
3.81%
Classical (48)
5.54%
Hip-Hop (167)
19.28%
Electronic (60)
6.93%
Indie (141)
16.28%

Watched Threads

View All