The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hehe, thanks, but I am nothing special. I have just read a post on a flute board where people are under 14 and grade 8 and in national orchestras and stuff. I may do grade 8 next year, it depends on how I progress and my workload. At the moment, I am finding I am sounding rubbish, which doesn't bode well for the performances for my GCSEs I'll have to give soon!

I have heard of Hal Leonard, some of our band music is by then.

On my own I play all sorts - classical, jazz, baroque, anything really, and in the band, stuff like TV themes, and wind band arrangements.
Reply 61
A boy in my school is 13 and doing grade 8 trumpet next term. It's great for me, as he always plays first, so I get the easy second part.
Reply 62
Hehe, yes, I do know some talented people, and sometimes it gets me down, but then I have to remember that I am not bad either.
Reply 63
NickiM
Hehe, thanks, but I am nothing special. I have just read a post on a flute board where people are under 14 and grade 8 and in national orchestras and stuff. I may do grade 8 next year, it depends on how I progress and my workload. At the moment, I am finding I am sounding rubbish, which doesn't bode well for the performances for my GCSEs I'll have to give soon!

I have heard of Hal Leonard, some of our band music is by then.

On my own I play all sorts - classical, jazz, baroque, anything really, and in the band, stuff like TV themes, and wind band arrangements.

Sounds like cool music you're playing by yourself and in band!

I use to play in a wind band too, but now I don't. I played trumpet for 4 years.
Reply 64
Ah, I see. I was going to originally play the clarinet!
Reply 65
NickiM
Ah, I see. I was going to originally play the clarinet!

How come? I thought girls would prefer the flute more than the clarinet.
Reply 66
Because in the beginning, a really bad music company came to primary school, and you got to try them out, and I couldn't decide between the clarinet and flute, so I put both down, and they posted me a flute!
Reply 67
NickiM
Because in the beginning, a really bad music company came to primary school, and you got to try them out, and I couldn't decide between the clarinet and flute, so I put both down, and they posted me a flute!

Cool!

I use to play french horn and I was bad at it. :redface: So the teacher let me choose an instrument, so I chose the trumpet.
Reply 68
My mum wouldn't let me play the violin because of the noise some beginner violinists make!
Reply 69
NickiM
My mum wouldn't let me play the violin because of the noise some beginner violinists make!

It's not that bad the violin. Sooner or later the beginner violinist noise will be better. :p: I heard it quite hard to play though. In addition, it hurts when tilting your head for that long when playing it.
Reply 70
Yes, I don't think I could play the violin, I have 2 friends who are violinists, and 1 is a cellist and they have beautiful tones. But I suppose you can get aches and pains with all instruments, my fingers seize up, if I play the flute too long, and my mouth aches.
Reply 71
NickiM
Yes, I don't think I could play the violin, I have 2 friends who are violinists, and 1 is a cellist and they have beautiful tones. But I suppose you can get aches and pains with all instruments, my fingers seize up, if I play the flute too long, and my mouth aches.

Yeah, my fingers don't ache that much, however my mouth does. It's looks like it swollen, lol.
Reply 72
My little finger is the worst as it has to push a key down for practically all the notes, and, the ends of my fingers go numb.
Reply 73
I heard it's quite hard to play the flute. Is that right?

How many people are in your wind band?
Reply 74
About 70 people in our wind band. It is hard to get a sound out at first for some people, but I believe that there isn't instruments which are harder than others, it depends how your brain works, and what you can do best.
Reply 75
results days- weirdest days of my life. had no idea what to expect for gcse or AS- ended up crying hysterically out of relief for all 3. gcse was slightly better cos we had envelopes, so the teacher handing us our results couldnt see how we'd done.....i hated being handed my Alevel results on a sheet and having the teachers look at me strangely...i don't want them to know before i do!!!!!

i always worked myself up into a right state that morning as well- stupid gmtv showing all those people who'd either completely missed their offers, or got 6A grades plus distinctions etc etc etc

uni exam results will be worse....they get put up on a board outside the senate house, where all the graduations happen etc. so EVERYONE, even a flamin tourist, can see what i got before i do. blegh
Reply 76
NickiM
About 70 people in our wind band. It is hard to get a sound out at first for some people, but I believe that there isn't instruments which are harder than others, it depends how your brain works, and what you can do best.

That's a lot of people. I think my wind band last 2 years was about 50-60 people.
Reply 77
Awww, I'd hate if if everyone could see how you did!
priya
i don't want them to know before i do!!!!!

Even at GCSE, the teachers know a couple of days before you do :frown:
Reply 79
kellywood_5
Even at GCSE, the teachers know a couple of days before you do :frown:

Yup, to be precise it's only 1 day before the results day though.

Latest