The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Edinburgh is pretty well-known internationally, even though not as much as the G5 unis, partly due to the fairly large number of famous graduates it has produced and its location.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Yes.
Gordon Brown has done ok afterwards, Darwin did ok aswell.
Although Darwin did actually drop out, and then went on a journey cause he was bored and he was a lazy bum sat on his arse watching telly- well obv not watching telly.
But yeah
Edinburgh is well known
Reply 3
Well it's a capital city, so that always helps. I don't have the experience to say for sure that, yes it is well known internationally or to say quite how well known it is but, due to its history, size, location and, yes, world rankings and employer reviews I'd say it's as well known as any other university in the UK with the only exceptions being Oxford and Cambidge (probably not even the London unis).
Reply 4
Stanyon
Yes.
Gordon Brown has done ok afterwards, Darwin did ok aswell.
Although Darwin did actually drop out, and then went on a journey cause he was bored and he was a lazy bum sat on his arse watching telly- well obv not watching telly.
But yeah
Edinburgh is well known

+ Conan Doyle, Graham Bell
i'd say edinburgh is well known internationally, it does well on world university rankings, apparently in the top 25.
Also again (apparently) good links with the university of pensylvania which is a well respected ivy league uni in usa.
I know it's prestigious and well known in the UK (and now i know a few famous alumni lol) but is the fact that it has been falling a lot in the league tables a worry? it's gone from 3rd best to 18th in like 4 years, a degree from Edinburgh might basically become not exactly worthless but it may carry far less weight in the future- is this a cause for concern? would i be better off in a university like say Warwick which has basically been getting better and better...i'm so confused:s-smilie:
Reply 7
HelloKitty2890
I know it's prestigious and well known in the UK (and now i know a few famous alumni lol) but is the fact that it has been falling a lot in the league tables a worry? it's gone from 3rd best to 18th in like 4 years, a degree from Edinburgh might basically become not exactly worthless but it may carry far less weight in the future- is this a cause for concern? would i be better off in a university like say Warwick which has basically been getting better and better...i'm so confused:s-smilie:

you have to look at course rankings. The overall rankings vary every year (well course rankings too, but they are more stable). Plus, the overall rankings do not have much relevance to your career in many cases. For instance, suppose your university is ranked 5th overall, but 19th for your course, would you still choose that university, when you have another option that is ranked say, 11th overall, but 4th for your course?
jy9626
you have to look at course rankings. The overall rankings vary every year (well course rankings too, but they are more stable). Plus, the overall rankings do not have much relevance to your career in many cases. For instance, suppose your university is ranked 5th overall, but 19th for your course, would you still choose that university, when you have another option that is ranked say, 11th overall, but 4th for your course?

Yh i see what you mean, at the end of the day it's the course that matters i guess seeing as you will be studying it for 3/4years
Reply 9
HelloKitty2890
Yh i see what you mean, at the end of the day it's the course that matters i guess seeing as you will be studying it for 3/4years

If your course is directly linked to your future professions (e.g. Law, Medicine, etc), your course reputation will affect your employability. I mean, how are the overall rankings even valid when you're being evaluated as a candidate for jobs? when about 1/4 or 1/3 of the universities in the overall rankings do not even offer your course, and the most important thing is how well and how much you know about your subject rather than your university's superficial overall rank?
But i think if your course is something like say, English lit, I don't think your university's course ranking wouldn matter much i think.
Depends on which course we're talking about basically.
Reply 10
jy9626
If your course is directly linked to your future professions (e.g. Law, Medicine, etc), your course reputation will affect your employability. I mean, how are the overall rankings even valid when you're being evaluated as a candidate for jobs? when about 1/4 or 1/3 of the universities in the overall rankings do not even offer your course, and the most important thing is how well and how much you know about your subject rather than your university's superficial overall rank?
But i think if your course is something like say, English lit, I don't think your university's course ranking wouldn matter much i think.
Depends on which course we're talking about basically.

I agree, if law, medicine employers will take note of the course ranking, but other employers will not look into the course rankings as much. No matter where Edinburgh are in the rankings, it still has the connotation of being a prestigious university.
Reply 11
[QUOTE=:)[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace][excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]I agree, if law, medicine employers will take note of the course ranking, but other employers will not look into the course rankings as much. No matter where Edinburgh are in the rankings, it still has the connotation of being a prestigious university.

Just to further support my point, for instance, King's College London has been a 10~15 university overall, but it has always ranked under top 10 for Law. (in 1997 and some other years, it was ranked the 1st by the times. this year under top 4 according to all newspapers) I've heard that the law firms are much aware of that. Plus, note that what one knows about the subject (if Law, Medicine, etc) is what the employers are looking for, rather than the university brand name.
starting to understand now- but in my case because i'm studyng history its not really about the course (unless go into history postgrad or something history related)- that's why i asked the question about it being nternationally well known, im just stuck between Edinburgh and warwick (i'd say UCL too if i could get the grades!)
Reply 13
HelloKitty2890
starting to understand now- but in my case because i'm studyng history its not really about the course (unless go into history postgrad or something history related)- that's why i asked the question about it being nternationally well known, im just stuck between Edinburgh and warwick (i'd say UCL too if i could get the grades!)

Congrats on your offers so far! Edinburgh and Warwick are all top-class!
I'd normally suggest you go to Warwick, as it's ranked much much higher than Edinburgh for History. BUT since you aren't going into history postgrad or anything like that, overall reputation is more important. It's a difficult situation. Edinburgh is more recognized internationally, but Warwick is one of the best domestically. If you're gonna get a job outside the UK, you should prob go for Edinburgh and if you're gonna stay in the UK, then Warwick.
I think you should visit them and take the 'feel' of the universities into consideration as well, since you're gonna spend the next few years of your life in one of them.
Wait for UCL though. UCL would be the best option. It's recognized as one of the best domestically and internationally.
jy9626
Congrats on your offers so far! Edinburgh and Warwick are all top-class!
I'd normally suggest you go to Warwick, as it's ranked much much higher than Edinburgh for History. BUT since you aren't going into history postgrad or anything like that, overall reputation is more important. It's a difficult situation. Edinburgh is more recognized internationally, but Warwick is one of the best domestically. If you're gonna get a job outside the UK, you should prob go for Edinburgh and if you're gonna stay in the UK, then Warwick.
I think you should visit them and take the 'feel' of the universities into consideration as well, since you're gonna spend the next few years of your life in one of them.
Wait for UCL though. UCL would be the best option. It's recognized as one of the best domestically and internationally.

Thanks! yeah im still waiting on UCL ut i kind of want to leave london now aniway so its like reject me already! lol but yes thanks and as long as Edinburgh is well recognised outside the UK then its good enough for me! plus the place looks AMAZING :smile:
Reply 15
Put it this way - so far, i've only had 3 British lecturers. The rest have been American. :P
jomo
Put it this way - so far, i've only had 3 British lecturers. The rest have been American. :P

really? are a lot of the students americans too (i'd have thought they'd be scottish)
HelloKitty2890
really? are a lot of the students americans too (i'd have thought they'd be scottish)

Most of the students are British, but there are quite a few international students, about 15 % of the whole undergraduate student population, I think.
elisabethbridge
Most of the students are British, but there are quite a few international students, about 15 % of the whole undergraduate student population, I think.

ah thanks, i thought it would be a bt weird if the large majority were international!:rolleyes:
Reply 19
HelloKitty2890

As already stated, a majority of the student population is British but I have to say, I do know quite a few Americans - they have a popular exchange programme as the semester layout is apparently quite similar to the states.

And suprisingly a majority of the students I know are from England/Wales & Ireland - the native Scottish student at Edinburgh uni is a rare breed. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending