The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Journalism Work Experience in Manchester?

Hi,

I'll be coming to Manchester Uni in September (if I meet my offer!), and I was wondering what opportunities there are for journalism work experience? Does the Manchester Evening News offer placements for work experience people or..?

I come from a small town in West Yorks and the only journalism experience I've had so far is on the local daily, a regional daily in East Yorks and the student magazine. I'm hoping that there will be more opportunities in a big city like Manchester, but I'm clueless as to how I would go about finding them :redface:

Has anyone here been on journalism placements while at UoM?

Amy x
Reply 1
I can't really offer any other advice, but since nobody else has posted a reply, I just thought I'd tell you that UoM has its own newspaper (Student Direct) which is made up of student contributions. I'm attempting to get involved with it at the moment, I'll let you know how it goes!

You can probably find out about placements at MEN online, have a look and check, they probably offer something but it may be highly competitive (the BBC is another place you can get experience in the media, but this is also competitive, if not more!)

Hope that helped somewhat, and good luck :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Just done a quick search and found this thread, thought I'd post here rather than start a new one...

I'm moving to Manchester in September and will be looking for work experience as the OP was...Can anyone else suggest any magazines or anything?
Reply 3
Manchester Media Club is really great, and I'd recommend it to any students looking to go into the media. I've attended some great talks by them, and got really great work experience as a direct consequence of being a member.

If it's specific print journalism experience you're after, then the MEN is probably your first port of call. Don't forget the MEN subsidiaries too - you're more likely to get experience, and get to do actual work if you're interning on the South Manchester Reporter, or the Oldham Advertiser than the actual MEN. The Guardian also has a HQ in Manchester (it was originally the Manchester Guardian) - I don't have any experience approaching them, and I'm not sure how much content is produced in Manchester (I can't imagine there's much, if any) but it's always worth a try.

There's also a news associates HQ in Manchester, and if you can't get experience in the newsroom they offer open day taster sessions called 'Insight into Journalism'. They're trying to flog you a course they run (don't believe the spiel), but it's quite enjoyable and something to say you've done. Aaand, Ten Alps - Ten Alps own about a bazillion magazines, so even if you can't get work experience with them directly, I'm sure their website would be a useful one to peruse for Manc-based magazines.

And then you have the BBC, and Media CityUK - I'm not really interested in print, really, so I'm not sure what's coming to MediaCity in terms of print but I'm sure there would be companies there who could offer relevant experience.

And Student Direct, of course.
OhNO!
Manchester Media Club is really great, and I'd recommend it to any students looking to go into the media. I've attended some great talks by them, and got really great work experience as a direct consequence of being a member.

If it's specific print journalism experience you're after, then the MEN is probably your first port of call. Don't forget the MEN subsidiaries too - you're more likely to get experience, and get to do actual work if you're interning on the South Manchester Reporter, or the Oldham Advertiser than the actual MEN. The Guardian also has a HQ in Manchester (it was originally the Manchester Guardian) - I don't have any experience approaching them, and I'm not sure how much content is produced in Manchester (I can't imagine there's much, if any) but it's always worth a try.

There's also a news associates HQ in Manchester, and if you can't get experience in the newsroom they offer open day taster sessions called 'Insight into Journalism'. They're trying to flog you a course they run (don't believe the spiel), but it's quite enjoyable and something to say you've done. Aaand, Ten Alps - Ten Alps own about a bazillion magazines, so even if you can't get work experience with them directly, I'm sure their website would be a useful one to peruse for Manc-based magazines.

And then you have the BBC, and Media CityUK - I'm not really interested in print, really, so I'm not sure what's coming to MediaCity in terms of print but I'm sure there would be companies there who could offer relevant experience.

That might not be true any more since the Guardian used to share a building with the MEN, but the Guardian Media Group has since sold the Manchester Evening News.
Reply 5
jismith1989
That might not be true any more since the Guardian used to share a building with the MEN, but the Guardian Media Group has since sold the Manchester Evening News.

They still have an office in Manchester.
OhNO!

I've never heard of it, how do you get involved?
Reply 7
missygeorgia
I've never heard of it, how do you get involved?

It's run by the careers service. I can't remember the name of who it is you're supposed to e-mail, it's Anna something-spanishy-sounding. But they have twitter http://twitter.com/mcrmediaclub, so give them a DM.
OhNO!
It's run by the careers service. I can't remember the name of who it is you're supposed to e-mail, it's Anna something-spanishy-sounding. But they have twitter http://twitter.com/mcrmediaclub, so give them a DM.

awesome, thanks
OhNO!

I realise my response is late but thanks for the information! Didn't get quoted so forgot all about it! I will look into your suggestions though :smile:

What are you studying just out of interest?
Reply 10
gravityisamyth
I realise my response is late but thanks for the information! Didn't get quoted so forgot all about it! I will look into your suggestions though :smile:

What are you studying just out of interest?

I do English Lit. Like I said, I don't really know much about print but if you have any specific questions, or general media questions, I'll do my best to help you out.
Reply 11
OhNO!

Quite surprised to find my old thread resurrected :p: but that Insight course is really good, I enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think that course was run by News Associates though - they did a separate workshop taster day which I also went to, and tbh I felt like it gave more of an 'insight' than the paid course because they simulated a normal newsroom environment.
I'm looking into shorthand courses at the Pitman Training Centre now - does anyone have any experience of these?
Reply 12
AmyJ
Quite surprised to find my old thread resurrected :p: but that Insight course is really good, I enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think that course was run by News Associates though - they did a separate workshop taster day which I also went to, and tbh I felt like it gave more of an 'insight' than the paid course because they simulated a normal newsroom environment.
I'm looking into shorthand courses at the Pitman Training Centre now - does anyone have any experience of these?

The one I went to was definitely run by News Associates - they run out of 111 Piccadilly on Ducie St?

Also, I just got a job with a company called w00tmedia - anyone who might be interested in advertising/online media should really look at little companies like this, there's loads in mcr. w00t, creative spark, truth, magnetic north..it's worth e-mailing people if you're interested in their company.

Latest

Trending

Trending