The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

common_person
"I got raped by my husband today, but I didn't complain because it's tradition".

My brother got hanged for stealing a goat today, but I don't mind because they've been doing it for centuries
Hunting is fun - Gets the adrenaline flowing as it links back to the hunter-gatherer mind set - especially when you get the massive bonus of some lovely wild game and/or controlling the population of animals and pests. It's no different to killing a pig or cow for meat so why fuss.
Reply 82
Phonicsdude
i did. My point is, I dont want to discuss this superficially. So have a think about the questions and get back to me. Otherwise Ill be wasting my time answering really simple points. Have a go and then we can have a high quality discussion.

This is about the allocation of rights to animals. Go. If animals are worthy of rights so as to protect them from harm then shooting them is wrong. If not then we may do as we please.

And I answered as I saw fit in a paragraph not by numbered points. I made the point that it's not simply about rights so stop simplifying matters it's about torture. Go.
And yes, I hunt. I've shot plenty of deer, but I also care about deer and the protection of them. Have a look at the BDS.
common_person
"I got raped by my husband today, but I didn't complain because it's tradition".

what the hell?! i'm sorry but that's a **** example!! in this culture, raping someone isn't a tradition...hunting and shooting is. it's a sport, ffs!
Phonicsdude
i did. My point is, I dont want to discuss this superficially. So have a think about the questions and get back to me. Otherwise Ill be wasting my time answering really simple points. Have a go and then we can have a high quality discussion.

This is about the allocation of rights to animals. Go. If animals are worthy of rights so as to protect them from harm then shooting them is wrong. If not then we may do as we please.

Edit: I dont agree with him but check out Tom Regan.

Technically we are helping deer by shooting them to keep numbers down - without hunting the deer would probably starve.
We also shoot rabbits because they may be cute and blah blah blah but at the end of the day when they breed they breed a LOT, and they cause damage to crops and are just generally a pest.
We shoot crows because they damage crops and **** everywhere and are generally a pest.
Would you like me to continue?
Reply 86
Bubbles*de*Milo
But it is something we can change.
And I'm not an opinionaed loud-mouth, I fully accept the ideas and beliefs of others, I'm not ramming my opinion down peoples throats irl, this is a thread about it. Do you know me in real life? What I'm like in real life?

The most annoying type of people are those who just do something for tradition and never question the past or why. Those are the types of people who would have advocated not giving women suffrage or bear baiting, back in the 1800s.

Just a hint.

I can make an educated guess from your posts, just as you can about me. Regardless, quite a petty post so I apologise.

I don't do it for tradition, as I said I'm no longer someone who hunts. I've not handled a knife or gun in...I'd say 7 years? I did it because our garden was infested with diseased/starving rabbits. I would do it again in another garden given the same reason.

I wouldn't kill an animal for fun though, if that is what you are getting annoyed about.

People need to hunt, to kill animals, to eat the diet they are supposed to eat. If they get pleasure from it as well, then so be it. The reality is we are always going to eat meat in whatever quantity, and some sick people are going to get kicks from the killing itself.

Part of me thinks that humans are so terrible to each other, it is a bit indulgent to worry about the poor bloody rabbits before the poor bloody children.
Bubbles*de*Milo
It will never change? Like womens suffrage, or imperialism, or fox hunting (banned I believe), like that?

I fully accept it's not just for tradition, people do it for fun, as I believe, I posted in my OP! :eek:

There's a difference - hunting isn't cruel. It's perfectly justifiable.
tehjonny
I can make an educated guess from your posts, just as you can about me.

I don't do it for tradition, as I said I'm no longer someone who hunts. I've not handled a knife or gun in...I'd say 7 years? I did it because our garden was infested with diseased/starving rabbits. I would do it again in another garden given the same reason.

I wouldn't kill an animal for fun though, if that is what you are getting annoyed about.

People need to hunt, to kill animals, to eat the diet they are supposed to eat. If they get pleasure from it as well, then so be it. The reality is we are always going to eat meat in whatever quantity, and some sick people are going to get kicks from the killing itself.

Part of me thinks that humans are so terrible to each other, it is a bit indulgent to worry about the poor bloody rabbits before the poor bloody children.

Omg it's like you're intentionally missing my point. I don't have a problem with killing to eat, or killing to keep numbers down.
My consistent point throughout this threas has been killing SOLELY for fun.
Reply 89
charrrlotte.ox
what the hell?! i'm sorry but that's a **** example!! in this culture, raping someone isn't a tradition...hunting and shooting is. it's a sport, ffs!

You're still providing a poor justification with your infantile "tradition" argument. See my example above.
charrrlotte.ox

Until 1991, it was completely legally acceptable for a man to rape his wife.
smellslikemarmite
There's a difference - hunting isn't cruel. It's perfectly justifiable.

That's a somewhat subjective statement tbh.
Revolution is my Name
why should the fact that people used to do an activity when society was less progressive, less knowledgeable about science, more unjust and generally more ridiculous be a reason to continue that now?

thanks for the rep honey.
Reply 93
Reply 94
common_person
Until 1991, it was completely legally acceptable for a man to rape his wife.

R v R? You've reminded me of AS Sources of Law. :tongue:
Napoleonmagnificent
If you eat meat, you don't have the right to an opinion on hunting! Anyway, hunters care more about animals than non hunters.

Hunting ethics;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lynFWF8cfQ

LOL! I don't have a right to an opinion?!
i've never been raped, am I allowed an opinion on that?
I hunt the hunters, it's a fun past time. Makes them angry, especially when what they're hunting gets away.
fire2burn
I hunt the hunters, it's a fun past time. Makes them angry, especially when what they're hunting gets away.

Your avatar would give them an epileptic fit before they could get away tbh.
Reply 98
Bubbles*de*Milo
Omg it's like you're intentionally missing my point. I don't have a problem with killing to eat, or killing to keep numbers down.
My consistent point throughout this threas has been killing SOLELY for fun.

I'm not missing your point. I'm trying to point out that they aren't exclusive. I can kill an animal for reasons of utility...yet still enjoy it for it's own sake. They aren't inseparable feelings.
Reply 99
bubbles instead of shooting people like you, i just shoot animals and i can get away with it

that's it

Latest

Trending

Trending