The Student Room Group

YORK or CARDIFF?

Hi, I can't decide between these two unis! I've been to visit them both and though they're both very different I like them both in their own ways. I think York has a better reputation than Cardiff within the UK as well as internationally but i don't know whether its significant enough to take into account. So, general opinions please :smile: And any extra info that you might have about each of these places. Im applying for Maths by the way.
Reply 1
CARDIFF.
but i'm only saying that because i live there. i know nothing about the maths course but the social life's great here.
i don't really know anything about York :smile: sorry no help!
Reply 2
I'm going to echo the Cardiff love. Also because I live here. I think it's quite a good University for the science/maths subjects, but I really don't know much about York >__<
Reply 3
hehe thanks guys :biggrin: yeah the social life is one of the things thats making me really want to go there, but i feel quite bad for that cos i should go where i'll get a better degree. Whats the thing that you love most about cardiff?
Reply 4
Right, well - I'm quite well qualified to respond to this thread I feel - as I've been to uni in Cardiff but am now off to uni in York.

In Cardiff I found it was all brilliant for the first few weeks - everybody was sociable and I was living in the centre of a really young person's kind of city (lots of nightclubs, vibrancy, quite beautiful, culturally interesting, loads of student nights, shopping, societies and an easily accessible Lidl :p:). But it started to go downhill from there. There isn't really a sense of community here. The university is big and the common areas are shared between too many or are non-existant. I found the teaching to be poor at times (although that's specific to Law) - but the most widespread problem is student apathy. For some reason there's a culture here that working isn't cool. Last week's Gair Rhydd (Cardiff's student newspaper) had a big article about it - and it's extremely noticeable. I've been to lectures at other universities and people seem much more interested/actually attend. Anecdotal evidence suggests that in seminars people make more of an effort to talk and so on at other similarly ranked universities. I don't really understand why - but it certainly seems to be the case.

York is a smaller university, has the college system, and better/more communal areas for us student kids - which would suggest that there is likely to be a better community feel to the place. The teaching is rated as amongst the highest in the land, and the students that I do know there say apathy is not as much of an issue. The city itself is nowhere near as vibrant as Cardiff, and the campus nature of the university means you're more likely to feel that you're living in a bit of a bubble. However, there are still clubs and pubs and so on, and loads of brilliant societies, from what I've heard.

In summary, I'd say choose based on which kind of place you'd prefer to live - anonymity with city vibrancy, or community spirit with quieter city. My experiences will have biased my perception - and many people love being at Cardiff Uni. However - do take into consideration the student apathy aspect - I'm not just basing that on my own experiences, after all.

P.S. Apologies if my post is a bit incoherent. Sleep deprivation is to blame.
Dw i'n hoffi Caerdydd.
Reply 6
Cardiiiiiiiiff..... because I might apply there next year :awesome:

On a serious note, I think Cardff is a much better city than York (is it even a city?) :confused:
Reply 7
IeuanF
Right, well - I'm quite well qualified to respond to this thread I feel - as I've been to uni in Cardiff but am now off to uni in York.

In Cardiff I found it was all brilliant for the first few weeks - everybody was sociable and I was living in the centre of a really young person's kind of city (lots of nightclubs, vibrancy, quite beautiful, culturally interesting, loads of student nights, shopping, societies and an easily accessible Lidl :p:). But it started to go downhill from there. There isn't really a sense of community here. The university is big and the common areas are shared between too many or are non-existant. I found the teaching to be poor at times (although that's specific to Law) - but the most widespread problem is student apathy. For some reason there's a culture here that working isn't cool. Last week's Gair Rhydd (Cardiff's student newspaper) had a big article about it - and it's extremely noticeable. I've been to lectures at other universities and people seem much more interested/actually attend. Anecdotal evidence suggests that in seminars people make more of an effort to talk and so on at other similarly ranked universities. I don't really understand why - but it certainly seems to be the case.

York is a smaller university, has the college system, and better/more communal areas for us student kids - which would suggest that there is likely to be a better community feel to the place. The teaching is rated as amongst the highest in the land, and the students that I do know there say apathy is not as much of an issue. The city itself is nowhere near as vibrant as Cardiff, and the campus nature of the university means you're more likely to feel that you're living in a bit of a bubble. However, there are still clubs and pubs and so on, and loads of brilliant societies, from what I've heard.

In summary, I'd say choose based on which kind of place you'd prefer to live - anonymity with city vibrancy, or community spirit with quieter city. My experiences will have biased my perception - and many people love being at Cardiff Uni. However - do take into consideration the student apathy aspect - I'm not just basing that on my own experiences, after all.

P.S. Apologies if my post is a bit incoherent. Sleep deprivation is to blame.

Thanks, thats was really useful :smile: Would you say the student apathy thing affected you in terms of your own work? Thing is, I want the city vibrancy along with the community feel :P I know what you mean though, I felt more welcome in a way when I went to York, it was a lot more friendly. At the same time it doesn't seem like theres much to do there whereas Cardiff offers a lot. Arg! I hate decisions. In terms of reputation though, would you say they were that different?
Reply 8
wondergirl217
Thanks, thats was really useful :smile: Would you say the student apathy thing affected you in terms of your own work? Thing is, I want the city vibrancy along with the community feel :P I know what you mean though, I felt more welcome in a way when I went to York, it was a lot more friendly. At the same time it doesn't seem like theres much to do there whereas Cardiff offers a lot. Arg! I hate decisions. In terms of reputation though, would you say they were that different?

I would say that it did - yes. If I had an essay to do I knew I'd be considered a bit boring if I did that rather than going out for the 4th time that week. Also - in seminars I was often the only person brave enough to contribute. I'd often be met with a bit of a dead silence after I spoke, and it felt vaguely like year 9 sometimes. It was quite discouraging.

At any uni you'd be able to busy yourself with work, friends and the various societies - so don't worry too much about having nothing to do.

I would say that whilst at the moment the difference in reputation isn't massive (although it's there), that the general trend for York is up/keeping pace with those around, and the general trend for Cardiff is down (and has been for quite a while).
Reply 9
Well the whole work mentality thing is a really good point as it'll probably affect my studies too. What about accomodation and cost of living and stuff? And in Cardiff was it easy to getting around? Like from department to accomodation and around town and stuff? Cos thats one of the tings I wasn't so keen on.
I'd say go for Cardiff if you're after the nightlife and parties. York doesn't offer the big clubs etc.
wondergirl217
Well the whole work mentality thing is a really good point as it'll probably affect my studies too. What about accomodation and cost of living and stuff? And in Cardiff was it easy to getting around? Like from department to accomodation and around town and stuff? Cos thats one of the tings I wasn't so keen on.

The Cardiff student areas can be a little bit scary for the pedestrian - although that is improving a tad. I walked everywhere - but I lived in the most central halls (Senghennydd). If you live in the ones further out (where most people do) you'll end up walking a good distance most days - and might end up getting taxis back on nights out. In York it's clearly gunna be much easier getting around - although you'd probably want to bus it to the city centre and back. When it comes to cost of living, Cardiff is a chunk cheaper if you live in the Senghennydd buildings - but it's similar to York for the rest of the accommodation and housing. I doubt there'd be much difference in other day-to-day living costs. Another consideration, though, is that it's quite a bit easier to get a part-time job in Cardiff - if you wanted such a thing.
Reply 12
Yeah, I'd probably need to find a part time job. Someone sad it'd be hard to get a job there seeing as there's three uni's in Cardiff but I suppose it's still easier than York. Ooh I don't know! It's really hard. Thanks for all your help IeuanF :smile:
wondergirl217
Yeah, I'd probably need to find a part time job. Someone sad it'd be hard to get a job there seeing as there's three uni's in Cardiff but I suppose it's still easier than York. Ooh I don't know! It's really hard. Thanks for all your help IeuanF :smile:

Not that many people do have part-time jobs in my experience, though. Overall both Cardiff and York are relatively cheap to live in, so unless your parents are wadded but won't give you any money (or you buy expensive stuff a lot), you should be fine.

And it's no problem - it's actually a topic I can help out with better than most, for once.
Reply 14
Anyone have any more thoughts?
People are saying that Cardiff's nightlife is vastly better than York's - but surely the latter's can't be too shabby?
Reply 16
LurkerintheDark
People are saying that Cardiff's nightlife is vastly better than York's - but surely the latter's can't be too shabby?

Yeah i know, I'll be happy with it just being ok. And haven't they got a central student union now? Surely thats only a good thing?
Reply 17
help, PLEAAAASE
i would say cardiff :smile:
its a beautiful city, i love it there.
The nightlife is amazing!
I think that cardiff will be a more eventful, fun university experience!
but im sure york is good too.

Did u know cardiff belongs to the russel group? along with cambridge and oxford
these universitys are said to have the highest standards of research, education and knowledge transfer. (Although im not an expert on the subject)

I think you'll have a good time wherever you go, but if i had to choose i would go with cardiff 100%! but its what you think that matters!
good luck in choosing :smile:
Sine
Cardiiiiiiiiff..... because I might apply there next year :awesome:

On a serious note, I think Cardff is a much better city than York (is it even a city?) :confused:

I agree, i also think cardiff is a much better city!:smile:
Love to live there.

Latest

Trending

Trending