Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the Cambridge ADC, a comdey show made a bit of a stir. One of the recurring themes was sept 11th. Something like: 'nothing changed after 9/11, sure the world is missing a few thousand people, but compared to rest of the population that's an irrelevant number.' At the end the three performers started dancing to 'It's raining men' and then projected images of the burning twin towers were shown on the screen behind. Thought it was quite funny at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    were can you find them
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i remember being on the bus on the way home after school when i heard about it on the buses radio. firstly it took me time to remember what the twin towers were, i had never taken much time to think about them before! then i could remember and me of my friends were like "sh*t"

got home and turned on the tv to watch one of the towers fall down, just couldnt comprehend it. i'm actually glad they showed so much coverage otherwise i wouldnt have been able to get my head round it all.

Its strange how vividly that day is in my mind, i can remember exactly what i did from the bus home onwards. its going to be one of those things i will never be able to forget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    i remember being on the bus on the way home after school when i heard about it on the buses radio. firstly it took me time to remember what the twin towers were, i had never taken much time to think about them before! then i could remember and me of my friends were like "sh*t"

got home and turned on the tv to watch one of the towers fall down, just couldnt comprehend it. i'm actually glad they showed so much coverage otherwise i wouldnt have been able to get my head round it all.

Its strange how vividly that day is in my mind, i can remember exactly what i did from the bus home onwards. its going to be one of those things i will never be able to forget.
    has anyone heard the story that a man who was in the 1st tower rang his brother on his mobile saying there was a plane flying low and then it crashed on the floor above him and he ducked under his desk and survived.He was lucky he got out.
    People on the 150th floor had more chance of surviving because they were at the top of the rubble people at the bottom were dead anyway the weight of the rubble would kill them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it really mattered whether or not you were at the top or bottom. In fact those at the top would have ended up worse, because when the building fell it sort of imploded on itself and any stuff from the top was just covered from the debris below it. But it's all hypothetical because no-one did get out from the rubble and debris alive.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    What was your first thought when you turned on the tv or the radio and heard that the world trade center had been attacked and collapsed.
    I was at work and we didn't have a tv or radio and we didn't have internet access (this was at my old job)...our one line of communication was an ex-colleague who'd moved to a different area of the company and so was based in the london stock exchange and was feeding through the reuters reports displayed there to us by email.

The story kept changing and the whole thing seemed very unreal and uncertain.

ReputationRep:
    I was in an airport, I was scared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I don't think it really mattered whether or not you were at the top or bottom. In fact those at the top would have ended up worse, because when the building fell it sort of imploded on itself and any stuff from the top was just covered from the debris below it. But it's all hypothetical because no-one did get out from the rubble and debris alive.
    I agree, those that were at the top had no escape route, due to the design of the buildings. The elevators and stairs were blocked when the plane hit. That is why so many ppl were jumping from windows.

ReputationRep:
    I was stunned.....the images were so upsetting, and the more i heard about it the more i hated it. I got a lil bit teary watching some of the recent documentrys....:'(

ReputationRep:
    i was on my school but when i found out.. i was like' what the hell is goin on' and i got home and turned on the tv and saw those horrible pics of the plane crashin into the side.. it was bloody disturbing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    evolutionary psychology means human perception is hard-wired to see faces
    Ahhhhhhhh, hence you see images in the clouds, etc.. Thanks edders you have solved a big mystery!

ReputationRep:
    i didnt evn no wot they were or where they were until that day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I agree, those that were at the top had no escape route, due to the design of the buildings. The elevators and stairs were blocked when the plane hit. That is why so many ppl were jumping from windows.
    what happened to the elevator did the cable snap from the blast or did it just stop working.

ReputationRep:
    what happened to the elevator did the cable snap from the blast or did it just stop working.
    I'm not sure it probably snapped. They said that the jet fuel poured down the shafts and was burning from moment the planes hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I'm not sure it probably snapped. They said that the jet fuel poured down the shafts and was burning from moment the planes hit.
    ouch! bin larden must die.
    that is totally sick what did them people ever do to bin larden

ReputationRep:
    I remember the day so very clearly. I was at school, and we (1st XV and 2nd XV) had been at rugby practise. We were walking back into school and I was struck by the complete absence of life. It was a nice day, and normally we have the girls sitting on the wall by the pond chatting away, and making sly comments about our legs and bums. But there was none of that.

Walking into my then boarding house, which was the only boarding house in the middle of the school campus I was again struck by the silence. By now I was really wondering if something funny was happening or if I was being paranoid. I walked into the common room looking for people, and could hear the muffled noise of the TV being on in the TV room. I opened the door to see a room which could comfortably sit 50 boys crammed with about 200 people. Some people, boys and girls, were in tears. There were teachers in the crowd, and it was all silent. BBC was on, and I squeezed into a place I could see the screen and slowly, slowly the significance of what I was watching began to down on me. As I recall the first plane hit about 2pm our time, the time my rugby practise started. It was 4pm now. I saw both towers collapse and didn't leave the room until about 8pm that night.

What were my immediate emotional responses? Fear, excitement, sympathy, awe.

ReputationRep:
    why is everyone using the word exciting it is not good you could say interesting but exciting no way!!

ReputationRep:
    What was your first thought when you turned on the tv or the radio and heard that the world trade center had been attacked and collapsed.
    Hmm I was over in the States at the time, in Florida, and it was early-ish morning Eastern Time, just turned on the TV to try and find MTV, and you know the little delay where you get sound but no picture - they were reporting "This is truely terrible..." and needless to say we didn't watch MTV for the rest of the day - I don't think I've watched a days worth of news unfold before as on 9-11.

Scary stuff.

Absolute shock and horror to see such a structure come down - and the effect it had on the sky line.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.