Existentialism - Book suggestion needed

Watch
sparkplug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Wasn't sure whether this was the right place for this thread but meh....

In my spare time I like to read philosophy books, I generally find them more interesting than novels these days [a v.popular vampire one being a prime example:rolleyes: ].

Anywho, I've gotten a little bit into the whole school of Existentialism and I'm interested; only snag being I have no idea what books to track down so any and all suggestions would be v.helpful.

Nothing too hardcore though.
username258587
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
existentialism & humanism- jean paul sartre
NissanMicra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
l'etranger/la chute/la pest/huis clos camus
jean paul sartre les mains sales
de beauvoir les belles images

other philosophical: Thus spake zarathustra
kafka
dostoevsky- brothers karamazov
Hegel
Kant
Descartes

would recommend camus to start off with
T kay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
existentialism & humanism- jean paul sartre
This.

And Nausea
Last edited by RK; 7 months ago
username258587
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah. but i'd recommend you read e&h before nausea.
sparkplug
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks, I'll go pick up a copy tomorrow. :tongue:
Last edited by RK; 7 months ago
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"Existentialism: A Very Short Introduction" ?? Being and Nothingness woudl be your ideal text; some of it is very accessible, but other bits would probably be rather tough unless you are familiar with Husserlian phenomenology, Heidegger, and some Hegel. I've not read it all

Also, read The Jargon of Authenticity by Adorno, in case you're going to get too carried away.
Washingtonirving
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I usually find existentialist novels a good deal more interesting than the 'proper' philosophical stuff, but as a compromise Dostoyevsky's Notes from the Underground would be a good start.
missygeorgia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Since Sartre was 'The' Existentialist, I'd reccomend Nausea, his plays and Existentialism & Humanism.
mancsmithsfan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Being and Nothingness is the standard text; Dostoyevsky's Notes From Underground, Kiergekaard's and Nietzsche's writings, and Kafka's too.... but never forgetting Camus WHO DENOUNCED the Existentialist tag, just so you know he wrote about ABSURDISM, which is essentially Existentialism.
Marco1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Start with a general intro to the topic. It is a tricky topic to get a handle on at first (or rather it was for me). I would avoid Sartre's 'On Being and Nothingness' - too hard going. Would recommend Camus, Kierkegaard, Neitzsche (hard going but very rich content and colourful writing style) and even the Romanian pessimist philosopher Emil Cioran's 'On the Heights of Despair' but be quite careful with him, he won't exactly fill you with hope.
renaissancemensch
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do second Marco1's Cioran recommendation, if only because not enough people have heard of him. Though I wouldn't deem his writings to be among the first to reach for when looking for an introduction to existentialism...
ghostboobs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Unbearable Lightness of Being is an existentialist novel.
QED
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rather pointlessly repeating what has been said but I'd definitely start with Camus and Sartre. Whatever you can get your hands on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads