The Student Room Group

Nice easy stats which I've never understood...

A student is taking two classes, psychology and statistics. If the probability that he will pass either of the courses is 0.8, that he will pass both courses is 0.6, and he will fail in psychology is 0.3, find the probability that:

a) he will pass psychology
b) he will pass statistics

Now I am assuming the answer to the first is simply 1-P(FAIL IN PSYCH) = 1 - 0.3 = 0.7

However the answers I have got for statistics don't really work. So can anybody explain how?

TIA

Adam
Reply 1
byb3
A student is taking two classes, psychology and statistics. If the probability that he will pass either of the courses is 0.8, that he will pass both courses is 0.6, and he will fail in psychology is 0.3, find the probability that:

Now I am assuming the answer to the first is simply 1-P(FAIL IN PSYCH) = 1 - 0.3 = 0.7

However the answers I have got for statistics don't really work. So can anybody explain how?

TIA

Adam

lol, and your doing a maths degree at Sheffield.
Reply 2
Bhaal85
lol, and your doing a maths degree at Sheffield.

Yes and I never did stats in maths, not very helpful.....
Reply 3
byb3

TIA

Adam

isnt it 0.6/0.7?
Reply 4
elpaw
isnt it 0.6/0.7?

thats what I thought, but then how does the probability that he passes either course = 0.8 work...

because you have 6/7*0.3 + 1/7*0.7 = 0.36 ...not 0.6?

Of course I could be going off on a tangent here...

Adam
Reply 5
byb3
thats what I thought, but then how does the probability that he passes either course = 0.8 work...

because you have 6/7*0.3 + 1/7*0.7 = 0.36 ...not 0.6?

Of course I could be going off on a tangent here...

Adam

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
0.8 = x + 0.7 - 0.6

x = 0.5
Reply 6

Draw a two-circle Venn diagram, put 0.6 in the intersected part, ...

Jonny W.
Reply 7
byb3

TIA

Adam

Does either also mean both?
Reply 8
elpaw
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
0.8 = x + 0.7 - 0.6

x = 0.5

Correct but you added wrong.

P(S) = 0.7

because

P(S) = P(P U S) - P(P) + P(P n S)