Turn on thread page Beta

Just how stupid we were 50 years ago! watch

Announcements

    If in 50 years, attitudes have changed from this, just think what they will be in a further 50 years!:

    Oxygen is a very toxic gas and an extreme fire hazard. It is fatal in
    concentrations of as little as 0.000001 p.p.m. Humans exposed to the
    oxygen concentrations die within a few minutes. Symptoms resemble very
    much those of cyanide poisoning (blue face, etc.). In higher
    concentrations, e.g. 20%, the toxic effect is somewhat delayed and it
    takes about 2.5 billion inhalations before death takes place. The reason
    for the delay is the difference in the mechanism of the toxic effect of
    oxygen in 20% concentration. It apparently contributes to a complex
    process called aging, of which very little is known, except that it is
    always fatal.

    However, the main disadvantage of the 20% oxygen concentration is in the
    fact it is habit forming. The first inhalation (occurring at birth) is
    sufficient to make oxygen addiction permanent. After that, any
    considerable decrease in the daily oxygen doses results in death with
    symptoms resembling those of cyanide poisoning.

    Oxygen is an extreme fire hazard. All of the fires that were reported in
    the continental U.S. for the period of the past 25 years were found to be
    due to the presence of this gas in the atmosphere surrounding the buildings
    in question.

    Oxygen is especially dangerous because it is odorless, colorless and
    tasteless, so that its presence can not be readily detected until it is
    too late.
    -- Chemical & Engineering News February 6, 1956
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Yeah rite mate....I think we knew slightly more than that 50 years ago.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edders.)
    If in 50 years, attitudes have changed from this, just think what they will be in a further 50 years!:

    Oxygen is a very toxic gas and an extreme fire hazard. It is fatal in
    concentrations of as little as 0.000001 p.p.m. Humans exposed to the
    oxygen concentrations die within a few minutes. Symptoms resemble very
    much those of cyanide poisoning (blue face, etc.). In higher
    concentrations, e.g. 20%, the toxic effect is somewhat delayed and it
    takes about 2.5 billion inhalations before death takes place. The reason
    for the delay is the difference in the mechanism of the toxic effect of
    oxygen in 20% concentration. It apparently contributes to a complex
    process called aging, of which very little is known, except that it is
    always fatal.

    However, the main disadvantage of the 20% oxygen concentration is in the
    fact it is habit forming. The first inhalation (occurring at birth) is
    sufficient to make oxygen addiction permanent. After that, any
    considerable decrease in the daily oxygen doses results in death with
    symptoms resembling those of cyanide poisoning.

    Oxygen is an extreme fire hazard. All of the fires that were reported in
    the continental U.S. for the period of the past 25 years were found to be
    due to the presence of this gas in the atmosphere surrounding the buildings
    in question.

    Oxygen is especially dangerous because it is odorless, colorless and
    tasteless, so that its presence can not be readily detected until it is
    too late.
    -- Chemical & Engineering News February 6, 1956
    Yes, but we would stil be stuck on such complex equations like:

    find X given:
    10X=100.

    edders is a complete moron and should be banned.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered.)
    edders is a complete moron and should be banned.
    i hate that idiot Edders.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered.)
    edders is a complete moron and should be banned.
    i wonder if he can ban himself?
    Offline

    18
    (Original post by Edders.)
    If in 50 years, attitudes have changed from this, just think what they will be in a further 50 years!:

    Oxygen is a very toxic gas and an extreme fire hazard. It is fatal in
    concentrations of as little as 0.000001 p.p.m. Humans exposed to the
    oxygen concentrations die within a few minutes. Symptoms resemble very
    much those of cyanide poisoning (blue face, etc.). In higher
    concentrations, e.g. 20%, the toxic effect is somewhat delayed and it
    takes about 2.5 billion inhalations before death takes place. The reason
    for the delay is the difference in the mechanism of the toxic effect of
    oxygen in 20% concentration. It apparently contributes to a complex
    process called aging, of which very little is known, except that it is
    always fatal.

    However, the main disadvantage of the 20% oxygen concentration is in the
    fact it is habit forming. The first inhalation (occurring at birth) is
    sufficient to make oxygen addiction permanent. After that, any
    considerable decrease in the daily oxygen doses results in death with
    symptoms resembling those of cyanide poisoning.

    Oxygen is an extreme fire hazard. All of the fires that were reported in
    the continental U.S. for the period of the past 25 years were found to be
    due to the presence of this gas in the atmosphere surrounding the buildings
    in question.

    Oxygen is especially dangerous because it is odorless, colorless and
    tasteless, so that its presence can not be readily detected until it is
    too late.
    -- Chemical & Engineering News February 6, 1956
    if you checked you'd realise that was a jokey article. it doesnt take a genius to realise how tongue in cheek it is. People were doing advanced physiology experiments in the 40s for gods sake
    J
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.... edders = guest?

    DuHu. We were stupid.
 
 
 
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.