What should I wear to my interview tomorrow at Imperial?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Goat
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
although, in a suit most people look older- so you could prob pull off being 19/20.

there are a large number of men walking round in their 20's in suits.

love Katy ***
Yeah but ill probably need to bring a ruck sack.

I doubt you get many 20 year old guys with suits and ruck sacks! I should buy a smarter bag!
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ok, first look in any information you have been given and see if they give you any suggestions. Oxford print a booklet for their interviewiee with guidelines on what to wear - maybe imperial do the same.

Secondly it's probably a good idea to wear what you are comefortable in, but still look presentable enough to make a good impression. This could range anywhere between smart-casual and a suit and tie. I would advice against trainers, jeans and t-shirt, becuase you do wan't to make a good impression. But if you really don't feel comfortable in anything smarter then wear that - it's far better to be badly dressed and confident than it is to be well dressed and look really uncomrfortble in the interview.

I would think at your interview you will see people wearing clothes with different levels of smartness ranging somewhere from smart casual too full on suit - so whatever you end up wearing there are likely to be people who are both smarter and less smart than you. At my interviews (Oxford and UCL) i wore brown casual shoes, casual light coloured trowsers, a pale blue shirt with a harry-potter-esque sweater on top and there were people both more and less smartly dressed than me (by the way both Oxford and UCL made me offers).

Once you're accepted and start your first year you will find out what people really end up wearing is pretty much anything. And before you get in, interviewers arn't going to dress up for you, so really there is no need to dress up for them.
Asphyxiating
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
open shirt and smart trousers or suit trousers or something
mmm whatever you will feel comfortable in i suppose, but nothing like jeans and stuff..

not going to interview at imperial but i just got an offer from them so i'm happy enough
Sarco
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I went to an interview at imperial last week, wore a smart jumper a t-shirt and trousers. Nothing too smart, nothing too casual. Some people were in suits/shirts but most smart casual like myself. Anyway they do not base their decisions on what you are wearing as i was told i would get offered a place. Therefore a suit is not favourable over smart cas unless you feel that your passion and knowledge for the subject will not impress them enough.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
I was planning to wear a normal top and jeans and trainers, but someone just said I should wear a shirt and trousers.

What do you think?

Also does anyone else have an interview tomorrow at Imperial? (for computing.)
Having seen a lot of the candidates who were interviewed today walking around campus, I'd say you should wear a shirt and formal trousers if you don't want to look out of place, otherwise it really doesn't matter that much. As long as you don't turn up having obviously made an attempt to look untidy, they will not care what you are wearing; they will care what you are capable of academically and what kind of a person you are, not what kind of clothes you wear. BTW, the computing interviews at Imperial are not too bad, so don't worry too much about them. I would say I'll look out for you tomorrow, but I don't what you look like, so I won't.

Regards,
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So when they call me for my Maths interview, I can wear my jeans and stuff? And my red basketball boots?
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
So when they call me for my Maths interview, I can wear my jeans and stuff? And my red basketball boots?
If you want, however I'd go for something more neutral than red boots. Also, if it is clear you chose your clothes just to stand out, that could give a bad impression if you come across as an attention seeker. However this clearly depends on who's interviewing you; there are some pretty mad lecturers here.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Shirt tucked in or not?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
If you want, however I'd go for something more neutral than red boots. Also, if it is clear you chose your clothes just to stand out, that could give a bad impression if you come across as an attention seeker. However this clearly depends on who's interviewing you; there are some pretty mad lecturers here.
O-kaaaaay then! Shirt, trousers and shoes it is!
White shirt, or is a colour (that doesn't stand out) a better bet?
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jndikum)
Yea if you do, they'll know that you've probably got an interview...after all..London is full of unis. Or they'll confuse you for a business executive or some high class 'chap' with a terribly wealthy daddy. Either way, it's not too bad..

....or nobody will give a damn, and just carry on going about their daily business. That sounds more like the London I know.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I love interview time of year - lots of fairly smart 18 yr olds wondering round looking dazed/lost and a couple of 18 yr olds accompanied by their parents all dressed up in suits and shiney shoes...awww.

If you feel comfy in a suit wear one, if you feel comfy in smart trousers + shirt wear that, if you feel comfy in smartish trousers + open necked shirt wear that....basically go as high up the smart scale as your comfort allows...then give yourself the flexibility to go up one more notch because as soon as you arrive you'll feel either underdressed or overdressed - and underdressed is worse, overdressed and confident just looks like you made an effort.
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Surely, if you don't turn up looking like you have just dragged yourself off the street the interviewers won't give a damn.
Unregistered...
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)
Surely, if you don't turn up looking like you have just dragged yourself off the street the interviewers won't give a damn.
and wot do they expect of ppl from backgrounds of little wealth - who have had no reason 2 own a suit n lack the funds 2 go out n buy one 4 one day!! i suppose such ppl deserve 2 be denied an interview on arrival in account o poorness, regardless o havin the grades - sounds like that would be eliteism at its most extreme!!!!!
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And what about for the girls? I don't think I would want to wear a suit...
icarusgideon
Report 17 years ago
i have bought a very nice suit, especially for cambridge interview cuz the my other suits are sort of fashionable. That stupid suit cost me lots and i mean lotsssssssss.
Now i read that everyone is coming in sort of smart casual, which is fine by me but it would mean that i should either feel out of place (that is wearing my ever so expensive suit) or go smart casual (which would mean i wasted all my money).........now i dont know what to do....p.s. i read someone saying that this college has a high public school intake apparently!! (magdalene)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by icarusgideon)
i have bought a very nice suit, especially for cambridge interview cuz the my other suits are sort of fashionable. That stupid suit cost me lots and i mean lotsssssssss.
Now i read that everyone is coming in sort of smart casual, which is fine by me but it would mean that i should either feel out of place (that is wearing my ever so expensive suit) or go smart casual (which would mean i wasted all my money).........now i dont know what to do....p.s. i read someone saying that this college has a high public school intake apparently!! (magdalene)
Wear the suit but take the jacket off when inside
icarusgideon
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Wear the suit but take the jacket off when inside

what about the tie should i wear it or not. if I do then I have to wear it with a shirt which matches it but is sort of stylish and cant be worn alone
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (136)
24.55%
Live streaming events (47)
8.48%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.39%
A uni comparison tool (129)
23.29%
An in-person event when available (124)
22.38%