The Student Room Group
dark_light123
i have offers from both, warwick is better for my course but i hate the campus. York is only 3 places below it on the league tables for my course and ranked 9th in the country. Which one do you think i should choose?

Which course is it?

Honestly, go with the one you prefer, you're going to have to live there for 3/4 years after all.

I got offers from both, and rejected York, putting Warwick as my insurance (though York asked for AAA, so it didn't make sense to put it as an insurance, though I preferred Warwick anyway).

It's a personal thing with unis, go with what you like, sod the league tables.
Reply 2
dark_light123
i have offers from both, warwick is better for my course but i hate the campus. York is only 3 places below it on the league tables for my course and ranked 9th in the country. Which one do you think i should choose?

Look at location. Look at atmosphere. Look at course content and module choice. They are both excellent universities, so you'll be fine from whichever you choose. The important thing is to make sure you're happy there and will enjoy yourself and do your best.

You say you hate the Warwick campus. What about the York campus? Do you love it? If so, go for York.
There's no difference between the two academically. Comparing Warwick and York is like comparing Oxford and Cambridge - i.e. they're both similar. Go to the one where you think you'll enjoy spending three years of your life at.
Reply 4
Rock 'n' Roll
There's no difference between the two academically. Comparing Warwick and York is like comparing Oxford and Cambridge - i.e. they're both similar. Go to the one where you think you'll enjoy spending three years of your life at.

Isn't Warwick more highly regarded overall??
But it all depends on which course the OP's talking about. There's no point in going to a uni with good overall rep, but worse course rep than the other option/
Reply 5
jy9626
Isn't Warwick more highly regarded overall??

By whom?

The difference in academic standard isn't significant. Pay no attention to league tables as they're only sets of statistics and, within a couple of yours the uni that's ranked lower now can outrank it.

When the difference is just three places (which is nothing) then even better. Go with the university you think you'll be happiest at.

When you say Warwick's better for your course are you referring to league tables (which, by your own admission, shows there's no difference) or by course content which is obviously more personal?
Reply 6
OP, remember where you are. This is TSR, a place where three places in a league table (which is in reality where a journalist has crunched some numbers) means everything. If you believe some people on here, 'highly regarded' and 'prestige' means everything. Never mind the fact that there is nothing between these Universities in almost every regard. Think of it more like 'if you go to Warwick you will be a high ranking exec in three years', whereas, if you go to York, you will be in the proverbial gutter. That's really what some people will argue.

Anyway, its about the course and the atmosphere. League tables mean nothing, both are excellent for teaching and research, which is the main thing- I couldn't give a monkeys if one of them spends £3.25 per head more and has 12.2 students per staff member rather than 12.8. If you like the course at York (or Warwick for that matter), and feel the atmosphere is better, go for it. It's a great University, and a first from there will be looked on with great envy. If you believe the hype on here, then Warwick will probably be the answer. If you don't have the feel for the place however, you might hate it there, waste three years of your life, and come out with a 2:2. Your three places in a league table will be cold comfort then.
Which has the better nightlife?
Reply 8
dark_light123

so choose york. i know better than u:smile:
Reply 9
thanks for all your help, i think i will choose york.

Latest