Petrol cap on a Nissam Micra S - how does it open? Watch

prettyblueeyes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm using my Mum's Nissan Micra S (awful car!) but she's gone away for the week and I've never had to put petrol in it. There's nothing to grab on to on the actual flap to open it, and I can't see any buttons on the dash or inside to open it. I know I'm probably being really dumb and just not seeing it, but does anyone know how to open it?! It's an Nish reg I think if that makes a difference.
AeroMad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Could be in many places, Down the side of the drivers chair, or in the area of the steering wheel or the glove box. I think for the Micra it should be down the side of the drivers chair (if my memory serves me well )
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my mum had a hire car of this a few days ago... she cudnt find it for ages, so asked someone.. but apparently its "quite low down on the thing"... thats probably no help whatsoever!
username271141
Report 10 years ago
Have you tried pushing the cap, sometimes they spring open, like bathroom mirrors.
prettyblueeyes
Rep:
?
I've just gone out to have another look and can't see it anywhere - argghh!!
prettyblueeyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by WolvesAreBoringOnCeefax)
Have you tried pushing the cap, sometimes they spring open, like bathroom mirrors.
Yeah I tried that, on the garage forecourt! Wouldn't work, so got sheepishly back in to the car hoping nobody was watching. Dammit, I can't even call my Mum to ask as she's in Mexico!
AugustWestie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't you have to use the key on an S?
rhimox
Report 10 years ago
on mine you just push the cap in and twist- to the left i think! x
Mr5.56
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Little google search not sure if it helps:

''I have a 1994 Nissan Micra which has a lever by the driver's seat, to pull up for boot release and push down for release of the fuel cap door''

''The petrol cap? why do the Japanese do everything the opposite way? to open the petrol cap you turn the key to the right to unlock it! then unscrew the cap, very strange''
prettyblueeyes
Rep:
?
Ah thanks so much! It was a lever down the side which I didn't see, and the on second look I thought was just for the bonnet which released the flap. The actual cap just screws on and off. Having a bit of a blonde day, as I also pulled up twice on the wrong side of the petrol thing (I'm used to it being on the drivers side) - thanks for all your help.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr5.56)
Little google search not sure if it helps:

''I have a 1994 Nissan Micra which has a lever by the driver's seat, to pull up for boot release and push down for release of the fuel cap door''

''The petrol cap? why do the Japanese do everything the opposite way? to open the petrol cap you turn the key to the right to unlock it! then unscrew the cap, very strange''
Think that's bad? My ENGLISH Land Rover has it's ignition on the left side of the steering column. Not even LHD cars have it in that side. It's weird to start with, but I gotta say I love it now. Much more space to see what you're doing
AugustWestie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prettyblueeyes)
Ah thanks so much! It was a lever down the side which I didn't see, and the on second look I thought was just for the bonnet which released the flap. The actual cap just screws on and off. Having a bit of a blonde day, as I also pulled up twice on the wrong side of the petrol thing (I'm used to it being on the drivers side) - thanks for all your help.
You pulled up on the wrong side twice? How many times did you fill it with petrol?
prettyblueeyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by AugustWestie)
You pulled up on the wrong side twice? How many times did you fill it with petrol?
The first time I pulled up on the wrong side and then couldn't figure out how to open the petrol cap. Then later on that day once I'd figured it out, I went to get petrol and forgot again that it was on the other side again. Was having a very blonde day obviously!
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you know what, i pull up on the wrong side all the time. i think it has more to do with filling up 5/6 cars a day with fuel and not being able to remember which side the filler cap is on my own car. sucks.

just make sure you don't put the wrong fuel in now you figured out how to get the cap off :p: i did that too, to a brand new colt. but apparently it's a good thing to sometimes put a bit of petrol in your diesel engine, as long as it's like, 10% to 90%... hmm.
StarMeKitten
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prettyblueeyes)
I'm using my Mum's Nissan Micra S (awful car!) but she's gone away for the week and I've never had to put petrol in it. There's nothing to grab on to on the actual flap to open it, and I can't see any buttons on the dash or inside to open it. I know I'm probably being really dumb and just not seeing it, but does anyone know how to open it?! It's an Nish reg I think if that makes a difference.
**Brilliant car!

I love my Micra!

You've found it now so there's no point in me explaining, but I do agree that it's in a funny place.
prettyblueeyes
Rep:
?
(Original post by StarMeKitten)
**Brilliant car!

I love my Micra!

You've found it now so there's no point in me explaining, but I do agree that it's in a funny place.
Haha no offence intended! It's a little old quite rickety N-reg (I think) and I just found it horrible to drive and everything seemed in awkward places - even putting the key in the ignition felt really awkward, and the windscreen lever. It just felt horrible compared to my little Corsa, which is no supercar in comparison but feels much smoother and so much easier to drive, with a dead easy to find and open petrol cap too and no levers in weird places :tongue:
milkand1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I just googled this exact same thing and this site came up! I'm in the exact same situation apart from being a student. I'm using my mums car as she is away.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads