Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This thread is mainly directed at university students, but all feel free to contribute.

Just wondering who we all bank with, who we have credit cards with, and our general impressions of it all. My main student account is with the Royal Bank of Scotland. I get a nice big £1250 interest free overdraft. I try to keep this account as close to -£1250 as possible, with as much money in a Royal Bank of Scotland savings account as I can manage. I can move money between the two instantly, and some interest is better than nothing. Overall, the Royal Bank rocks. I can call my branch at anytime and they are very helpful. I bank on the internet, useful also. They gave me a credit card with a £500 limit, nice to have but I rarely use it. One nice touch with the Royal Bank, is you can get your photo and signature laser etched onto your bank card which is nice for extra security.

I have another student account with Smile, the online bank. I have an overdraft of £1000 on this account, and as with the Royal Bank account, I have a Smile savings account in which I have as much money at any one time as possible. They wouldn't give me a credit card but other than that, faultless. Always respond to emails within hours.

Lastly I have a student Barclaycard. I signed up at Freshers Fair to get the pop-corn maker, but I've rather fallen for it. I have a £600 credit limit, and I use it as a way to keep my money in the savings accounts for as long as possible before I pay my bill off. I always pay the bill in full. I'm earning Nectar points by the bucket load which is nice too. The card is actually see through, which makes it the most interesting thing in my wallet by some distance.

Ed

ReputationRep:
    do u take your overdraft money and put it in your savings accounts??

ReputationRep:
    I am with Lloyds they are crap!

Im in year 13 at the mo. What student bank account would u recommend? Im gonna have the full 4000 student loan, plus the annual 1000 hardship grant, (and then if i get into cambridge - fingers crossed) the issac newton 1000 hardship grant. What would be the best account for me, considering I rarely use credit cards and I have quite a bit of savings so I dont think Ill need a massive overdraft.

Thanx
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I was with Natwest for a year - never again the service was appalling and the *bonuses* were minimal.

Switched to HSBC and I've been impressed by the flexibility of both their student account *and* their graduate account (which includes a graduate mortgage which allows you to borrow 4 times your salary on the expectation that it will rise fairly rapidly - couldn't have bought our house without it).

My sister was with Halifax as a student and now bears them an enormous grudge.

ReputationRep:
    never ever apply for a credit card as a means to quick cash. you are signing your (financial) death warrant. i dont care how much you like haagen-dazs....

HSBC were generally good to me. UK banks are very generous, BNP Paribas and CCF wouldnt let me have any overdraft or withdrawals over 100 euros a day.. it was terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anatomical)
    do u take your overdraft money and put it in your savings accounts??
    I do indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered007)
    Im in year 13 at the mo. What student bank account would u recommend? Im gonna have the full 4000 student loan, plus the annual 1000 hardship grant, (and then if i get into cambridge - fingers crossed) the issac newton 1000 hardship grant. What would be the best account for me, considering I rarely use credit cards and I have quite a bit of savings so I dont think Ill need a massive overdraft.

Thanx
    I'd go with Smile. Their student account has a high rate of interest and from the sounds of things your account will be pretty full of cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    never ever apply for a credit card as a means to quick cash. you are signing your (financial) death warrant. i dont care how much you like haagen-dazs....

HSBC were generally good to me. UK banks are very generous, BNP Paribas and CCF wouldnt let me have any overdraft or withdrawals over 100 euros a day.. it was terrible.
    If you know what you are doing, and how to deal with your money then don't let a credit card scare you. It is not going to bite you, or shock you in any unexpected way if you know how it works.

Buying things on a credit card you can get benefits that you simply don't get with a debit card. It's possible to get cashback on everything you buy depending on your credit card provider. I get 60 days insurance against theft or accidental damage on everything I buy with my Barclaycard. And if I buy something for £50 or more and I then see it cheaper somewhere within 30 days, Barclaycard will refund the difference.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.