The Student Room Group

Bad A-level results but still going to a good University

How come just because someone does poorly in their A-Levels by getting EEE or something does not mean University isn't for them, I got EEE in my A-Levels and I am planning on going to University and I have an unconditional offer to do a foundation course, I admit I messed around in my A-levels by partying too much and studying too little but this was because my heart was not in my chosen college subject.
And if University was only for the academically gifted then why do top 40 Universities offer bachelor degree courses to students with 80 ucas points and why do they have 1st class, upper second class, lower second class, third class and pass grades, and also why is their the option of topping up a bachelors degree after completeing a HND or foundation degree if University was for A-Level students who managed AAA or something. Why are there so many snobbish students who think they are elite just because they were a geek throughout their academic life

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't understand this thread... are you just having a pop at people who get into university and don't mess around with their a-levels because you did and want to make yourself feel better?
i guess you're living proof that they're not only for the academically gifted then. move on with your life and dont piss away your second chance.
I notice you did not specify which 'good' University you are going to, innocent oversight? Or deliberate avoidance?
Reply 4
I know a few people who are very smart, got good gcse's but due to laziness and picking the hardest A-levels, are only averaging C/D/E at A-level at the moment. This doesn't mean they won't go onto uni and get a high degree.

Getting DDD-EEE etc. is just the general opinion of snobbish people of TSR. TSR contains a tiny proportion of the student community and isn't at all representative of the *real* student community.

So, don't be put off uni if you don't get AAA in your A-levels! After all on TSR if you get AAB, your most probably deemed as stupid.
A Levels mean nothing once you are on your course and doing well. 15 years ago my boyfriend got a DEN in his A Levels :O and then went to tech to do a computer course, after that transfered to a ex-poly for first year of computer science, then transfered to a red brick University for his second year, then decided he wanted to get into the computer games industry so transfered to yet another University for a more games specific course for final year. Ended up coming out with a first and walking straight into a much coveted games industry job. Since then he enjoyed a successful career and has had no problems getting jobs. Infact before he left his last job to set up his own business he was getting paid more than a guy in his team who was of a similar age and had a first in maths from Oxford.

Work hard and you will be fine. :smile:
There's oppurtunity for all.
Reply 7
If you got EEE then tbh you're going to fail miserably on any decent academic course. Even doing **** all work a bright student can get at least Cs. I'm not a snob...just not deluded. Clearly if you're doing some course which is completely different to anything you do at school like the computing guy then things are different, though.
Reply 8
Akkuz
I know a few people who are very smart, got good gcse's but due to laziness and picking the hardest A-levels, are only averaging C/D/E at A-level at the moment. This doesn't mean they won't go onto uni and get a high degree.

Terrible excuse.
E_D_B
If you got EEE then tbh you're going to fail miserably on any decent academic course. Even doing *** all work a bright student can get at least Cs. I'm not a snob...just not deluded. Clearly if you're doing some course which is completely different to anything you do at school like the computing guy then things are different, though.

I agree.
The reason why people knock those with DDD and EEE is generally because they weren't trying, as you admit. Is there anything wrong about those who have worked hard wanting that to count for something? Most people who get good grades do so through hard work, which almost everyone would agree is important to succeeding in life. Also A level performance is positively correlated with the class of degree people get.
Lol. Anyone who gets EEE in their A levels is just not suited to academic life, no matter how badly they may have screwed up. Thick people can get DDD with no work. Plus, as stated above, you deliberately avoid namedropping your chosen university. At least if you're going to make reference to a so-called "top university" make sure it actually is that - an Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, Bristol or whatever. Not probably the likes of some jumped-up poor university which you want to label "top" for your own silly purpose.
OP, you are chatting complete garbage
TnT_Samboss_XoX
How come just because someone does poorly in their A-Levels by getting EEE or something does not mean University isn't for them, I got EEE in my A-Levels and I am planning on going to University and I have an unconditional offer to do a foundation course, I admit I messed around in my A-levels by partying too much and studying too little but this was because my heart was not in my chosen college subject.
And if University was only for the academically gifted then why do top 40 Universities offer bachelor degree courses to students with 80 ucas points and why do they have 1st class, upper second class, lower second class, third class and pass grades, and also why is their the option of topping up a bachelors degree after completeing a HND or foundation degree if University was for A-Level students who managed AAA or something. Why are there so many snobbish students who think they are elite just because they were a geek throughout their academic life

Seconded :smile: I messed up mine and I'm predicted CCc but gonna ahave to work my arse off so likely to be CDd, really annoying cause I have the ability to do so muhc better in my course I have A's and B's but my exams let me down due to me messing up my first year, but on here I feel so inferior and feel like I have to speak with correct grammar just to be accepted lol, TSR is where people think its a crime to get AAB not AAA lol :smile: so your rant is not pointless its not all about getting AAA I thought about this the toher day and why is it Uni's want suhc high grades just cause you don't get AAA doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to cope with Uni lol :smile:
necessarily benevolent
Lol. Anyone who gets EEE in their A levels is just not suited to academic life, no matter how badly they may have screwed up. Thick people can get DDD with no work. Plus, as stated above, you deliberately avoid namedropping your chosen university. At least if you're going to make reference to a so-called "top university" make sure it actually is that - an Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, Bristol or whatever. Not probably the likes of some jumped-up poor university which you want to label "top" for your own silly purpose.

No to brag but I am quite intelligent just haven't applied it hence why I'm predicted CCc possible DDd all depending, I am in no way thick so I don't know what your implying like the OP i screwed up in my first year which obviously effects the rest of A levels so yes it is possible to screw up that bad yet not be 'thick' If i was thick i wouldnt have got all A's and B's in GCSE lol :smile: Not having ago just saying dont quite agree with that its kinda offensive :smile:
Reply 15
So you got 'EEE' in your a levels (the OP).. so even if you get into a 'Top uni' does not mean you will pass your degree..
130ss
So you got 'EEE' in your a levels (the OP).. so even if you get into a 'Top uni' does not mean you will pass your degree..

Agreed, nor does it mean that someone who gets AAA will pass their degree, I have known this to happen to a variety of people from various academic backgrounds
xkarenlouisex
No to brag but I am quite intelligent just haven't applied it hence why I'm predicted CCc possible DDd all depending, I am in no way thick so I don't know what your implying like the OP i screwed up in my first year which obviously effects the rest of A levels so yes it is possible to screw up that bad yet not be 'thick' If i was thick i wouldnt have got all A's and B's in GCSE lol :smile: Not having ago just saying dont quite agree with that its kinda offensive :smile:

I'm not saying that people can't unfortunately mess things up. I'm saying that DDD can be achieved by somebody who is not necessarily intelligent. Making EEE a total farce.
Reply 18
Akkuz

Getting DDD-EEE etc. is just the general opinion of snobbish people of TSR. TSR contains a tiny proportion of the student community and isn't at all representative of the *real* student community.

So, don't be put off uni if you don't get AAA in your A-levels! After all on TSR if you get AAB, your most probably deemed as stupid.

I think that, that is a massive generalisation. I doubt many think that getting AAB means you are stupid. Perhaps getting EEE then yes.
Reply 19
TnT_Samboss_XoX
Agreed, nor does it mean that someone who gets AAA will pass their degree, I have known this to happen to a variety of people from various academic backgrounds

Yes but it is more likely an AAA student will pass compared to an EEE student.