Finding it hard to balance revision between subjects...

Watch
Antonia87
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Upon deciding to take numerous retakes in June, I am finding it very difficult to find a balance between revising my subjects. I have made a point to revise every day, but it is better to alternate between subjects each revising day or to devote each day to one subject in particular?
Waterstorm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I never do that one subject per day thing, unless I have to catch up a lot. I would usually do 2, in a rotating sort of order. If you can picture that.
bibliotheque
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it's better to spend one day on one subject but have different days dedicated to different subjects so that you cover them all over the period of the week.

I know it's advised that people alternate in one revision session, but I think that makes it confusing and generally wastes time.
nirvathema
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's probably more productive if you revise at least two subjects a day, rather than concentrate on one.
sleekchic
Badges: 18
Report 12 years ago
Can't you do a certain number of hours for each subject. For example you can do 2-4 hours a subject a week. How you decide to spread it ut is up to you. If you have 2 modules a subject then you can do 2 hours a module so 4 hours in general.

Does this help at all?
CertifiedAngel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You dont really have to focus on each subject for the same number of hours. Some subjects might require less revision than others. It probably better to focus on two subject each day than one, it might get abit boring and repetitive
Issy/Bella
Report 12 years ago
I have to vary.
doing one thing for a long period of time bores me, then i become distracted, and then I don't really learn anything past the distraction time. even if i'm doing it.

so i'd alternate.
I have to :|
Antonia87
Rep:
?
(Original post by sleekchic)
Can't you do a certain number of hours for each subject. For example you can do 2-4 hours a subject a week. How you decide to spread it ut is up to you. If you have 2 modules a subject then you can do 2 hours a module so 4 hours in general.

Does this help at all?
Ah so, in my situation, I am doing 3 units (modules) in Politics. Are you suggesting that I devote 2-4 hours to each unit in revision?
Diaz89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
Upon deciding to take numerous retakes in June, I am finding it very difficult to find a balance between revising my subjects. I have made a point to revise every day, but it is better to alternate between subjects each revising day or to devote each day to one subject in particular?
sorry but didn't you have east anglia as your firm for politics, what made you change your mind?
sleekchic
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
Ah so, in my situation, I am doing 3 units (modules) in Politics. Are you suggesting that I devote 2-4 hours to each unit in revision?
No 2-4 hours a subject. So if you decide on 2 hours of revision a subject then if your subject is 2 modules that would be 1 hour a module and if you decideon 4 hours a subject then that would be 2 hours a module. All of this is a week not a day.

Here's what I do:

Politics - 2695 2 hours 2699 2 hours
Economics ECN5 2 hours ECN6 2 hours
Psychology PYA4 2 hours PYA5 2 hours

I do a mix of subjects or modules a day so an example is:

Monday 6-8pm 2695 8:30-10:30 PYA4 (this is just an example)

However it depends on you and if a subject is three modules and you decide to do 4 hours a subject a week then you can either divide the 4 hours among the three subjects or spend more on the module you are finding hard.

Does this help at all?
Antonia87
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diaz89)
sorry but didn't you have east anglia as your firm for politics, what made you change your mind?
Well as much as I loved UEA itself, I just couldnt picture myself living in Norwich for 3 years. It would have been too much of a change.
username246000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You want to alternate subjects when you revise. For each subject you have different modules which is hard to revise for as you have to alternate modules that are you are studying. Make sure you alternate your modules, covering them ALL within three days. Keep repeating the three day thing again and again, then you have covered all alternated subjects/modules in three days and eventually complete the revision. I say three days because your memory of is still fairly alright once you review part of the module again after three days.

This is just me though.
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
definitely alternate.
All you have to do is go through topics in one subject,then (a) topic(s) in your other subject and so on
Also like someone else pointed out, try to do certain subjects on certain days; like for me, I have science subjects on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, as this is when I have said subject lessons at school, and then thursdays and tuesdays for my arts subjects.
It works
sleekchic
Report 12 years ago
For the umpteenth time everyone is different and some people may need to revise early and some people can only revise a week or so before the exam. It doesn't matter if people are revising now it's their choice.
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
Poshtotty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It varies between different people. Some people organise themselves better if they only revise 1 subject a day. But I personally find it easier to alternate between 2 subjects otherwise I get so bored.

The only time I can revise 1 subject for hours on end is when I'm doing maths. I get so caught up in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (32)
28.07%
No (82)
71.93%

Watched Threads