Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can I get from Stansted the airport to Oxford? How long will it take? I could only get a ticket to a flight landing at 18.00 and I have to report to Teddy Hall by 20.00, what should I do???
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Linda)
    How can I get from Stansted the airport to Oxford? How long will it take? I could only get a ticket to a flight landing at 18.00 and I have to report to Teddy Hall by 20.00, what should I do???
    Contact the uni and explain you will be arriving at standstead at 6pm and ask if they can recommend the easiest/cheapest way to get to them and the sort of travel times involved (if it's a week day you will be in greater london traffic during the rush hour) so that they will have a better idea about when you will arrive and if you're likely to be a little late.

You can find out train information from stanstead to oxford (through london would be simplest) on http://www.thetrainline.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Not going to happen unfortunately.

After you land you need to get off the plane, collect luggage, go through immegration - you won't leave the terminal until at least 19.20.

Trains take around 2 hrs 40 mins from Stansted Airport Station, due to the need to go through London, on the Stansted Express (45 minutes to London), a London Underground connection, and the a train out from Liverpool Street Station.

Coaches take 3 hrs 30 minutes.

Don't know who advised you to land THAT close to needing to be in Oxford, but you simply haven't left enough time.

If you'd been flying into London Heathrow... would be a little bit easier.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Although being late isn't so terrible so long as you warn them in advance. You're flying into the country to see them and you're likely to be paying international fees (and therefore the equivalent to 8 home/eu students)...don't underestimate your potential value to them, they aren't going to throw that away for the sake of half an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Although being late isn't so terrible so long as you warn them in advance. You're flying into the country to see them and you're likely to be paying international fees (and therefore the equivalent to 8 home/eu students)...don't underestimate your potential value to them, they aren't going to throw that away for the sake of half an hour.
    Good advice, Pencil Queen is known in these parts as "The Source" for obvious reasons !

Certainly contact them, let them know you aren't going to be able to get there on time - if they really want you at Oxford, they should be able to cope with you getting there a little late.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Expression)
    Good advice, Pencil Queen is known in these parts as "The Source" for obvious reasons !

ReputationRep:

After you land you need to get off the plane, collect luggage, go through immegration - you won't leave the terminal until at least 19.20.

Trains take around 2 hrs 40 mins from Stansted Airport Station, due to the need to go through London, on the Stansted Express (45 minutes to London), a London Underground connection, and the a train out from Liverpool Street Station.

Coaches take 3 hrs 30 minutes.

Don't know who advised you to land THAT close to needing to be in Oxford, but you simply haven't left enough time.

If you'd been flying into London Heathrow... would be a little bit easier.
    I'm flying with Ryan Air, I could either go on Thursday or Sunday, and staying in England from Thursday to Sunday would just be too expensive.
    I have the luggage with me on the plane, and since I have a EEC passport I don't think it will take that long... At least when I went to visit my aunt this summer I went right through, no lines (that was Gatwick though).

ReputationRep:
    There is a direct coach between Stansted and Oxford, National Express Airport bus 757, but having had a quick look at http://www.nationalexpress.com/ I don't think that there are any at a suitable time for you, so it'll be either a coach change or a train change....

ReputationRep:
    Okies, having been a CSA at Stansted Airport for two years I can pretty much assure you that 30mins (this is the airport's target time limit-most times it's correct) after you touch down you will be reunited with your bags and though all checks and released back into the free world. The only thing that could possibly slow you down is baggage re-claim. This is becuase Groundstar (RyanAir's baggage company) employs useless convict-types to haul/thow baggage around quickly.

Can I also remind you to visit the BAA World shop to pick up cheaply priced presents for all your family.....

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Plank)
    Okies, having been a CSA at Stansted Airport for two years I can pretty much assure you that 30mins (this is the airport's target time limit-most times it's correct) after you touch down you will be reunited with your bags and though all checks and released back into the free world. The only thing that could possibly slow you down is baggage re-claim. This is becuase Groundstar (RyanAir's baggage company) employs useless convict-types to haul/thow baggage around quickly.

Can I also remind you to visit the BAA World shop to pick up cheaply priced presents for all your family.....

John
    LOL

and btw, i'll be taking my luggage with me on the plane (I travel light).

ReputationRep:

go through immegration - you won't leave the terminal until at least 19.20.
    "Immegration" (at Stansted Airpory) for EU citizens consists of a bald man nodding at your passport.

John

"Immegration" (at Stansted Airpory) for EU citizens consists of a bald man nodding at your passport.

John
    And don't forget to keep your boarding card with you as the ladies at Standstead are notorious for asking to see it to prove you've just come off a plane! Otherwise they'll demand to see evidence of your flight details - they do it to me every time!

ReputationRep:

John
    EEC, not EU. In my experience though, the EEC lines are always shorter than Home/EU and Overseas ones

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.