The Student Room Group

joining university of london air squadron

Scroll to see replies

We have quite a few groundies on our squadron actually, the sqn werent activley recruiting them but we seemed to gain a few NON SPONSORED groundies. Some of these were failed pilot or Nav applicants and some just people who just ended up getting in as a groundie. Yeah about that report should be out very soon ! they stopped our saturday flying a few weeks bk so wether that is a sign i dont know and it was the only day we had priority over the other people being trained at our place! ah well what will be will be ! Yes it is around £33 per full day but you are only entitled to 3 days pay per month normally but if there is more funds that month some people who " pitched up" will get more! Is anyone playing in the inter UAS football tournament nxt weekend?
Andy Caldwell
We have quite a few groundies on our squadron actually, the sqn werent activley recruiting them but we seemed to gain a few NON SPONSORED groundies. Some of these were failed pilot or Nav applicants and some just people who just ended up getting in as a groundie. Yeah about that report should be out very soon ! they stopped our saturday flying a few weeks bk so wether that is a sign i dont know and it was the only day we had priority over the other people being trained at our place! ah well what will be will be ! Yes it is around £33 per full day but you are only entitled to 3 days pay per month normally but if there is more funds that month some people who " pitched up" will get more! Is anyone playing in the inter UAS football tournament nxt weekend?

All UASs have stopped saturday flying. Something they do every year apparently.
Hello everyone, only joined the site a few days ago after reading some of the stuff people are writing about ULAS (University of London Air Squadron). I know you're all trying to be helpful but some of the information is mis-leading or plain wrong. I joined the squadron this year as ground crew, so anyone saying that they weren't accepting groundies appears to have the wrong information. I'm not sponsered and there is no such thing as joining as a 'social member'. Yes the squadron is looking mainly for pilots but if anyone wants to apply as ground crew don't give up. They shouldn't push you away with a leaflet, i wasn't, phone the actual town headquaters and speak to them there. I recommend ULAS to anyone seeking a career in the RAF, it looks great on your application to the RAF, you get paid, great social life and plenty of flying mixed with adventurous trainning and work experiance at RAF bases.
charliemh182
Hello everyone, only joined the site a few days ago after reading some of the stuff people are writing about ULAS (University of London Air Squadron). I know you're all trying to be helpful but some of the information is mis-leading or plain wrong. I joined the squadron this year as ground crew, so anyone saying that they weren't accepting groundies appears to have the wrong information. I'm not sponsered and there is no such thing as joining as a 'social member'. Yes the squadron is looking mainly for pilots but if anyone wants to apply as ground crew don't give up. They shouldn't push you away with a leaflet, i wasn't, phone the actual town headquaters and speak to them there. I recommend ULAS to anyone seeking a career in the RAF, it looks great on your application to the RAF, you get paid, great social life and plenty of flying mixed with adventurous trainning and work experiance at RAF bases.

The information given was on UASs in general, I think you'll find there is such a thing as a social memeber, I am one.
Ok thats fair enough, i didn't mean to cause offence. I'm taking my information from my mentor on the Squadron who used to run the OASC. Seeing as this thread is called joining the university of London air Squadron i'm only refering to ULAS where you can't join as a 'social' member. You say you joined your UAS as a 'social member' but does that mean you have no branch? Do you get paid? What do you do when the rest of the Squadron are working on camp?
charliemh182
Ok thats fair enough, i didn't mean to cause offence. I'm taking my information from my mentor on the Squadron who used to run the OASC. Seeing as this thread is called joining the university of London air Squadron i'm only refering to ULAS where you can't join as a 'social' member. You say you joined your UAS as a 'social member' but does that mean you have no branch? Do you get paid? What do you do when the rest of the Squadron are working on camp?

I didn't join my UAS as a social member, but you can. I'm involved in social events and thats it. I don't do general duties. I was a full member but with going DE I've moved to social member status. Its not a common thing, very few UASs will do it unless they have a good reason to keep someone on.
Really, i didn't know that. Joining as a social member sounds cool, i wish they did that on my squadron, i'm constantly filling in paperwork. Do you know if anyone from your squadron is going on this exercise in August with ESUAS? I just read that you are leaving the forum!!! I realise i'm new to this but you have provided loads of great information on joining the RAF, maybe i'll see you in the RAF?
They might do, you never know. It isn't something they would recruit, more a status they would give someone. I'm not a Sqn Ldr of a UAS though and at the end of the day it is entirely up to them. If you ever want to chat my msn is [email protected] or there is the private message function on here.

Spoiler

Original post by Warren15

Spoiler

1- information in this thread is quite out of date, you can ignore most of it. Look for the bigger UAS generic thread instead.

2- a little, but not hugely. More important is your attitude. Turning up saying "I was a cadet therefore I know everything" will mark you out as someone with the wrong attitude. Those BTECs won't make a blind bit of difference.

Quick Reply

Latest