The Student Room Group

Starting Uni...

I haven't got any friends I can talk to about Uni, mainly cos they're all in the year below me, and I haven't got any brothers and sisters to ask either.
I was just wondering how easy it is to make friends at Uni. I'm hoping to stay in Halls, because I think that's the best way of me meeting people. I'm not the best person at starting conversations with people I don't know (mainly because in the past its been thrown back in my face). So does anyone have any tips on how to get to know people for a shy person with not much self confidence?
Everyone is going to be thrown into the same situation (well, mostly) and you'll find most people will be open to conversation and talking about whats going to happen in freshers etc. You'll probably notice, however, that later in the term people will split into their friendship groups
Reply 2
Karl Kennedy is right. :yep:
Reply 3
"What are you studying?" and "Where are you from?" are the staple questions I ask just about everyone I meet at uni for the first time!

Quite good conversation starters and then just go on to talk about freshers' week, how you're finding halls etc.

Everyone's in the same boat so they should all be equally keen at wanting to talk to you as well!
Reply 4
i agree with karl kennedy

when i started i was really wasnt the confident about going to uni, sharing with a group of 6 people who i had no idea who they were and walking into the lecture room on my own were the scariest things ive done lol. but honestly, i dont say it to make you feel bad - everyone is in the same boat, and you kinda get to the stage where you start thinking that you should start talking and it just comes sort of naturally.....

youre all gonna be nervous at first, but there will always be that one person who starts the conversation when youre in a group, and its great when that person is you :biggrin: as i said, when i started i was not confident at all, and im still not as much as some of my flatmates, but i feel so much better talking to new people now and i feel more confident in myself. you meet so many new people, it really doesnt seem that big of a deal after a whil :biggrin:

good luck and enjoy :biggrin:

xxxx
well tbh for the first term everyone is really friendly, but in the second term i found out that only a really small handful of people actually liked me :frown:

Latest