The Student Room Group

Why are Americans backward socially?

Scroll to see replies

6 pages of this ?!?
lol bismarck just merks everyone, its so funny to read.
Howard
Britain talks a good game but the evidence would suggest that it's far more racist than the US. In America we have black generals, secretaries of state, Harvard professors, congressmen etc. Black people in America can and do reach the highest levels in our society. How far do they get in the UK? A couple of newsreaders, trade unionists, and race relations officials?

But just because black people reach higher levels that's not indicitave of less racism. (And besides, I think there are plenty of successful Black Brits. Baroness Amos, Paul Boateng, Dianne Abbhott, Oona King, etc etc. Never mind the whole ton of successful Asians. )It's indictaive of different social/instiutional conditions.
Reply 83
naivesincerity
But just because black people reach higher levels that's not indicitave of less racism. (And besides, I think there are plenty of successful Black Brits. Baroness Amos, Paul Boateng, Dianne Abbhott, Oona King, etc etc. Never mind the whole ton of successful Asians. )It's indictaive of different social/instiutional conditions.

Blacks in Britain punch way below their weight when compared with their American counterparts. As I say, we have black generals, black mayors, black scholars, black congressmen, even a black president (well, half black anyway) It's indicative of Britain being an institutionally racist country.
Howard
Blacks in Britain punch way below their weight when compared with their American counterparts. As I say, we have black generals, black mayors, black scholars, black congressmen, even a black president (well, half black anyway) It's indicative of Britain being an institutionally racist country.

No it isn't. We abolished slavery before them. Have we suffered the same amount of lynchings? Have we had a Rodney King incident?

It could just be indicative that theit institutions are less discerning in who they employ in order to have favourable stats.

An example-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISN1RCxko2Q
Reply 85
naivesincerity
No it isn't. We abolished slavery before them. Have we suffered the same amount of lynchings? Have we had a Rodney King incident?

It could just be indicative that theit institutions are less discerning in who they employ in order to have favourable stats.

An example-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISN1RCxko2Q

OK, so slavery left a nasty taste in your mouths so you abolished it earlier than in the US in 1833 (a massive 32 years before the US) but you wasted no time in making sure that there continued to be enough glass ceilings to keep the "goliwogs" in their place anyway.

It's ironic that you focus on a couple of bad eggs in the LA police force by mentioning Rodney King and try and use this as an (18 year old) example of racism in the US law enforcement community when the reality is that police forces in the US are well known for the opportunities that are afforded black Americans. From sea to shining sea you will find Chiefs of Police, Sherriffs, Feds, etc who are black; it's a shame Britain doesn't encourage such growth among its own black population.
Howard
OK, so slavery left a nasty taste in your mouths so you abolished it earlier than in the US in 1833 (a massive 32 years before the US) but you wasted no time in making sure that there continued to be enough glass ceilings to keep the "goliwogs" in their place anyway.

It's ironic that you focus on a couple of bad eggs in the LA police force by mentioning Rodney King and try and use this as an (18 year old) example of racism in the US law enforcement community when the reality is that police forces in the US are well known for the opportunities that are afforded black Americans. From sea to shining sea you will find Chiefs of Police, Sherriffs, Feds, etc who are black; it's a shame Britain doesn't encourage such growth among its own black population.

And what about the link? Consider the point about discernment.
Reply 87
Amanda
Good points except for the creationism part. There's nothing "backwards" about believing in creationism. Plus, one can believe in both creationism and evolution.

Believing in any religion is backwards imo. Believing in creationism doubly so. You certainly can"t believe in Dinosaurs and creationism

"Dinosaurs against Creationism" society ftw

Peace x
Reply 88
naivesincerity
And what about the link? Consider the point about discernment.

I don't watch you-tube. Can't access it.
Reply 89
bj_945
Believing in any religion is backwards imo. Believing in creationism doubly so. You certainly can"t believe in Dinosaurs and creationism

"Dinosaurs against Creationism" society ftw

Peace x

That makes no sense, sorry.
Howard
I don't watch you-tube. Can't access it.

Ah. Well he's a carolina state professor. Who believes white people should be exterminated.
Reply 91
naivesincerity
Ah. Well he's a carolina state professor. Who believes white people should be exterminated.

Why would you direct me to waste my time watching him then?
Howard
Why would you direct me to waste my time watching him then?

To illustrate my point. Americans only have higher numbers of blacks in higher positions because they are conscious of making it that way and are not as discerning, and more conscious of their worse past with racism. The other guy in the vid is a complete imbecile, and is a reverent.

Touchy.
Loads of generalisations and sterotypes = Typical tsr
Reply 94
Stop being so ******* patronising. Americans are no more backwards culturally than we are in the UK. I wouldn't say they're any more racist than us, it's just that they're more honest about it. Look at the Daily Mail, for god's sake. Doesn't the fact that millions of British people read it tell you something?

And actually, Obama does mean something. I'm fairly sure that it would be impossible for someone from an ethnic minority (especially someone who is the son of an immigrant father) to become British PM or even a senior member of the cabinet.
Reply 95
naivesincerity
To illustrate my point. Americans only have higher numbers of blacks in higher positions because they are conscious of making it that way and are not as discerning, and more conscious of their worse past with racism. The other guy in the vid is a complete imbecile, and is a reverent.

Touchy.

So, basically you're saying that in America, the bar is deliberately lowered to accomodate blacks who are not really fit to be in those positions by dint of their own merit.

Are you sure about that?
Howard
O From sea to shining sea you will find Chiefs of Police, Sherriffs, Feds, etc who are black; it's a shame Britain doesn't encourage such growth among its own black population.

If only we had rhetoric like that, maybe it might make up for the distinctly smaller proportional population of black people in the UK.

You be trollin' bro.
Reply 97
Maybe some people have their disagreements with the American life and politics (I know I have a few), but all countries have the flaws and it's only because America is always everywhere in the media that we see so many flaws in their ways. I'm pretty sure a lot of you would disagree with ways of other nations if they were in the media all the time.
I am strongly against any kind of discrimination, so I try my hardest not to do the same. We shouldn't talk about others' faults until we fix our own.
Reply 98
Amanda
That makes no sense, sorry.

lol. In that you can"t understand what I was trying to say or that my argument doesn"t make sense?

Peace x
Reply 99
Redemption
If only we had rhetoric like that, maybe it might make up for the distinctly smaller proportional population of black people in the UK.

You be trollin' bro.

The point isn't necessarily about black people, it's about minorities in general. Americans are accused of being "widely" racist against black people. From what I've seen on TSR, the British could be accused of being "widely" against Middle Eastern immigration.

For God's sake, even on TSR it's quite clear that such a stereotype wouldn't be true, but it's quite indicative of the way humans perceive other groups of people....the person with the worst behavior is always seen to be the most typical way to behave within a strange population.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending