This discussion is closed.
Blamps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Right I am doing a project on cooking at Uni on a budget...could anybody at uni please tell me what their typical budget is and what they would cook on a typical day, where they buy their food, where their uni is (to take into account costs relative to regions of the country)....thanks
byb3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
Right I am doing a project on cooking at Uni on a budget...could anybody at uni please tell me what their typical budget is and what they would cook on a typical day, where they buy their food, where their uni is (to take into account costs relative to regions of the country)....thanks
My budget for food a week would be about £20, and I wouldn't usually cook much. If I had to I would boil some pasta or microwave a jacket potato. I would buy most my food from Somerfield as it is the nearest place to me. My UNI is in Sheffield.

I'd add Im actually in catered but this is what I would do anyway....
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
My budget for food a week would be about £20, and I wouldn't usually cook much. If I had to I would boil some pasta or microwave a jacket potato. I would buy most my food from Somerfield as it is the nearest place to me. My UNI is in Sheffield.

I'd add Im actually in catered but this is what I would do anyway....
what's the most amount of time you would spend on preparing a meal i.e can students be arsed with home cooking?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Just a little FYI stuff:

The NUS (much as I dispise them) puts average student spending on food at £1043 pa - £20 a week if you pay for your food during the holidays more if you don't depending on the length of holidays. It's included in their factsheet here (warning pdf).
byb3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what's the most amount of time you would spend on preparing a meal i.e can students be arsed with home cooking?
my friend who is in the same uni as me but is in self catering spends about an hour every night preparing/cooking a meal and then about 5mins after cleaning up....

I'm happy with a cheese sandwich....
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
OK i would say I spend about £15 a week on food - this mainly consists of frozen pizza/fish fingers/chicken and frozen vegetables with some fresh fruit and salad and crisps, biscuits.

A sample dinner (last night) Frozen fish portion and rice with bacon and sweetcorn, onion rings and curry sause followed by an apple.

A sample lunch (today) bacon sandwitch with cheese and crisps followed by choc bar

Last weeks shopping list

TESCO
-------

med.wht.loaf 0.41
loose tomartoes 0.39
G.smith bag 1.18
cucumber ptn 0.28
t.tika sauce 0.95
Value cheese 2.46
choc eclairs 0.35
bacon rasher 1.59
galaxy bar 1.35
eggs 0.94
gar/herb dip .099

Total = 10.83

Hope that helps - obvously i dosnt just eat that all week had some stuff in the cupboards.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
BTW i buy my food in the tescos in colchester, about 10 mis walk from the uni

I also have shreddies with milk and orange juice for breakfast.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm at university in Manchester. I am in a university owned, self-catered flat.

I'd say on a typical day, my food costs about £4. I do a weekly shop in Sainsbury's that comes to about £30.

The most amount of time I've spent on a meal is about 45 minutes making a spag bol. I enjoy cooking, so can happily spend a lot of time making things doing my best Jamie Oliver impression. My best meal so far was some salmon fillets I baked in a lemon sauce I knocked up. My most expensive meal was fillet steak and chips on a day when I had a craving for some red meat. Other things I've made include curries, home-made burgers and stir frys. On days I can't be arsed to make anything I'll put a pizza in the oven and have it with some salad.

On the subject of student food, I'd like to make a recommendation. Cous-cous and tuna is a delicious meal which takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. It is cheap as chips, tasty, and very healthy.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'd say I spend about £15 pounds a week on food.
I'd prob buy
milk
cheap cheese
bread
tomatoes
onions
garlic
Cucumber
lettuce
mushrooms
maybe a pepper
some quorn mince or pieces
pasta or rice
potatoes
egg
some kind of fruit
and i tend to use frozen veg because it lasts longer.

I always keep a supply of basics in my cupboard. Spices salt pepper etc.

I used to spend a lot more but now I am a veggie I find I use less ready made food so it is cheaper. It does take more time to prepare though. I could spend up to an hour cooking though but I do tend to make enough for 2 and freeze a portion.
On a typical night I might have spaghetti or chilli, lasagne or veggie shepherds pie, stir fry and I try and have one roast meal per week. Either nut roast or quorn cutlet with veggies and potatoes and gravy.

I normally shop at asda and if I need anything during the week I will normally stock up at tesco or budgens because they are local. Oh I live in Sheffield.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Just in case you want some comparison hubby & myself spend between £50 and £60 per week on food/booze/cleaning stuff/toileteries etc...so £25-£30 each...not an awful lot more considering our combined income tops £40k pa.

On top of that I spend a shocking £7.50 a week on buying food from the Student Union canteen and we occasionally treat ourselves to a takeaway about twice a month for between £15 and £20 for both of us.

I spend minimal time preparing food - I spend 10 minutes in the morning making hubbies breakfast/sandwiches and between 10 and 20 minutes in the evening making tea which varies from premade canelloni to tonights grub which was sausage, smash and mushy peas for hubby and battered cod and ceasar salad for me. I find cooking anything more involved enjoyable but it saps my appetite and is the last thing I want to do after being out of the house for over 12 hours.

As a student I lived almost exclusively off wispa gold bars and asdas 12" frozen meat feast deep pan pizzas (£1.99 and it would last for 2 days).
Unregistered007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Just in case you want some comparison hubby & myself spend between £50 and £60 per week on food/booze/cleaning stuff/toileteries etc...so £25-£30 each...not an awful lot more considering our combined income tops £40k pa.

On top of that I spend a shocking £7.50 a week on buying food from the Student Union canteen and we occasionally treat ourselves to a takeaway about twice a month for between £15 and £20 for both of us.

I spend minimal time preparing food - I spend 10 minutes in the morning making hubbies breakfast/sandwiches and between 10 and 20 minutes in the evening making tea which varies from premade canelloni to tonights grub which was sausage, smash and mushy peas for hubby and battered cod and ceasar salad for me. I find cooking anything more involved enjoyable but it saps my appetite and is the last thing I want to do after being out of the house for over 12 hours.

As a student I lived almost exclusively off wispa gold bars and asdas 12" frozen meat feast deep pan pizzas (£1.99 and it would last for 2 days).
Oh yeah wispa gold...lush! They dont do them any more do they?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered007)
Oh yeah wispa gold...lush! They dont do them any more do they?
No - I'm sure I payed more in wispa gold money than in fees...the evil buggers put a chilled cadbury vending machine almost next door to my room
Unregistered2
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)

A sample dinner (last night) Frozen fish portion and rice with bacon and sweetcorn, onion rings and curry sause followed by an apple..
Yuck!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (201)
52.48%
No (182)
47.52%

Watched Threads