This discussion is closed.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
starter for ten...

General Studies? possibly the greatest joke ever played by the government?
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
starter for ten...

General Studies? possibly the greatest joke ever played by the government?
Indeedy. I'm glad I never did it.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Indeedy. I'm glad I never did it.
Lucky, it's forced upon us as a compulsory part of our 6th form education.

The excuses used by the teachers are that...
a) It broadens our outlook.
b) It can provide us with those vital UCAS points.

Be sure never to question the UCAS points element, saying "but General Studies isn't accepted by many universities"... they have about five examples to throw in your face from recent years.

At the moment it's compulsory only for AS, but there are rumours that there may be plans afoot that it may be so next year too.

Oh the joy.
LadyFadge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alec)

Be sure never to question the UCAS points element, saying "but General Studies isn't accepted by many universities"... they have about five examples to throw in your face from recent years.

At the moment it's compulsory only for AS, but there are rumours that there may be plans afoot that it may be so next year too.

Oh the joy.
Thats a new thing isnt that you have to do general studies coz it was not forced on my year but my mate in the year below has to do it!
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alec)

Oh the joy.
i think you and me have some issues, alec.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think you and me have some issues, alec.
Indeed.

So what else bugs you?

Personally, General Studies, the Crankies and breakfast cereals are the biggest banes of my life.
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alec)
Indeed.

So what else bugs you?

Personally, General Studies, the Crankies and breakfast cereals are the biggest banes of my life.
breakfast ceareal? what possible vendetta could you have against breakfast cereals? me, i can't stand Mick Hucknall or the Beautiful South, oh, and that stupid programme - the Kumars or something. And crossroads, when it was on.
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
breakfast ceareal? what possible vendetta could you have against breakfast cereals? me, i can't stand Mick Hucknall or the Beautiful South, oh, and that stupid programme - the Kumars or something. And crossroads, when it was on.
Oooh, just don't get me started with breakfast cereals. I think my hate (and avoidance for the past 8 years) for them comes from a dream involving Tony the Tiger and a Phillips screwdriver... I kid you not. :eek:

I agree with you on all the others though, I have a secret rage about Mick Hucknall which can never be vented because of my mum's musical taste. :rolleyes:
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alec)
Oooh, just don't get me started with breakfast cereals. I think my hate (and avoidance for the past 8 years) for them comes from a dream involving Tony the Tiger and a Phillips screwdriver... I kid you not. :eek:

I agree with you on all the others though, I have a secret rage about Mick Hucknall which can never be vented because of my mum's musical taste. :rolleyes:
anyone else have any secret vendettas they'd like to share??? :confused:
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Graham Norton.

I see no comic talent. To me, he comes across as a camp Irish man who giggles at naughty words.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
Graham Norton.

I see no comic talent. To me, he comes across as a camp Irish man who giggles at naughty words.
He was funny when he was on L8 on friday nights, with unfamous guests that no1 had heard of. Now he is boring
FudgeMonkey
Report 17 years ago
I am scared of cotton wool - it is horrible. I cannot touch it, it makes me feel really weird...it makes my fingernails go funny and my toes screw up.
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alec)
Graham Norton.

but that is his genius! he does what everyone else is afraid to do. admittedly, he comic talent is negligible, but then so is tony blair's, and everyone laughs at him (contraversial!)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Three unis -

Bristol (lazy uni)
Durham (overinflated sense of importance and tight markers)
and
Warwick (smug b**tards)

But I don't let them interfere with my professional work
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
He was funny when he was on L8 on friday nights, with unfamous guests that no1 had heard of. Now he is boring
My opinion was formulated from the shows late on Friday nights. I watched it twice, never watched it since.
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
I am scared of cotton wool - it is horrible. I cannot touch it, it makes me feel really weird...it makes my fingernails go funny and my toes screw up.
why? how can you be scared of a small ball of fluff?
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
From a personal point of view I like General Studies: I got an A-level with no work (and writing in the exams was quite fun), and it enabled my UCAS referee to say that I got loads of 90%+ modules.

Maybe I would not have liked it if I had been forced to waste schooltime on it. And I agree that it shouldn't be considered as well as other A-levels, because while it requires the same intelligence and skills, there isn't really much of a learning component.
FudgeMonkey
Report 17 years ago
why? how can you be scared of a small ball of fluff?
Its the texture...i also h8 cats.
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Three unis -

Bristol (lazy uni)
Durham (overinflated sense of importance and tight markers)
and
Warwick (smug b**tards)

But I don't let them interfere with my professional work
oh dear...iv applied to the last two...does that make me a bad person?
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Who'd have thought. A thread containing Graham Norton and General Studies.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (43)
23.24%
Unhappy (52)
28.11%
Conflicted (90)
48.65%

Watched Threads