Universities push for higher fees

ReputationRep:
    Sigh...

Many universities in England and Wales want a sharp increase in tuition fees, a survey by BBC News has concluded.

Two thirds of vice chancellors, speaking anonymously, said they needed to raise fees, suggesting levels of between £4,000 and £20,000 per year.

More than half of university heads want students to pay at least £5,000 per year or for there to be no upper limit.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7946912.stm

Fine, why not just make it so we're in debt for the rest of our lives?? May as well, that's where the world is going...

ReputationRep:
    £20,000?

Sure, let's just bring back in the class divisions of old. Those commoners from poorer households can shine our shoes for a living.

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally against it, but luckily it won't affect me. Can't believe how much debt some people are gonna be in if this goes ahead, esp. medics! xx

ReputationRep:
    Any kind petition going ?

ReputationRep:
    that is ******* outrageous. it's going to get to be like how it is in america, with people leaving with hundreds of thousands worth of debt. >

ReputationRep:
    If they want to charge higher fees then it should only be at cost. Which would mean a fee reduction for most arts students and a big jump for science students. I don't see why social scientists etc should fund expensive experiments by natural scientists.

When they wanted to introduce tuition fees this is the path everyone warned it will end up going. This is perhaps one of the most socially regressive policies implemented in the UK within the last two decades. I've seen plenty of very smart people doing dross jobs because they didn't want to get into debt for university and plenty of dumb rich people at university. Money should not be involved, only aptitude. Lets face it - the taxpayer gets a good deal off of graduates - they are worth funding. I can't help but feel that students on good courses are being forced to pay because the government is too scared to stop funding students on bad courses.*

*YES I know it's hard to say what is good and what is bad - but it is a division that has to be made if they want so many young people in higher education.

The real reason they're doing this is that once you're in debt - they control you.

ReputationRep:
    I hope this doesn't happen :/

ReputationRep:
    Do they think we're made of money?!? £20k is higher then the average starting salary for a graduate. I suppose if they make tuition fees £5k are they going to include campus accomodation, etc. I don't think they will somehow.

What about people on PG courses, post graduate medics on UG courses will be in even more in debt, etc.

We're students not millionaires!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Already a big thread on this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=17726187

ReputationRep:
    This is goin to make university exclusive to those from rich families unless people wanna be in debt for the rest of their lives. I really dont think its fair! They are supposed to be encouragin people from poorer families to enter in to higher education!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2009
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.