?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello from Athens!

I just received unconditional offers from :

Durham University Msc Accounting and Finance
Aston University Msc International Business
Exeter University Msc International Management
and I'm waiting replies from:

Cranfield,Strathclyde,Manchester ,King's College (all of them for Msc International Business/Management)

(I got rejected from Lancaster and Bath for Msc Management)

What do you think I must do???

I'm seriously thinking about Durham..Is Durham Business School respected??

Thank you in advance:rolleyes:

ps.This forum is very useful , especially for us outside UK!!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If be "respected" you mean by employers/in the financial sector then all of them are. But Durham's up there as one of the strongest universities in the country. Its business school is also well rated, at postgraduate level certainly. But all of the other universities you've applied to are good and more than respectable.
greek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Any other idea?I'll have a phone interview with Cranfield in Wednesday.Your opinion about Cranfield University??
Ultima.
Report 9 years ago
If you get accepted into King's then go there. Definitely the most respected of all. Or else I think Durham has a strong reputation generally. Manchester is also fine to study Business etc (a friend of mine went there and he's totally satisfied). Course content is also a factor to help you decide..unless every course is almost the same!
greek
Rep:
?
Thank you Alex..I'll probably choose Durham (even if I'm afraid of its location,being used to live in a city like Athens...)
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ultima.)
If you get accepted into King's then go there. Definitely the most respected of all
Is it? I don't think so.

What do you mean by respected? Who respects KCL more and why do you think this? I don't see any real difference between KCL and Durham, not on the international stage. Durham, being a smal city, may lack recognition amongst the public but amongst major international employers and firms its well respresented (more than KCL, actually). On a national level then there's even less of a difference.
Ultima.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Is it? I don't think so.

What do you mean by respected? Who respects KCL more and why do you think this? I don't see any real difference between KCL and Durham, not on the international stage. Durham, being a smal city, may lack recognition amongst the public but amongst major international employers and firms its well respresented (more than KCL, actually). On a national level then there's even less of a difference.
See, we're from the same country and I can understand the way he means 'respected'. KCL is known where we live whereas Durham isn't. Of course this doesn't mean that KCL is better than Durham or that he will be able to find a job more easily because he graduated from King's. Then again Business/Finance is not my field of study.

@greek: I totally understand you as I live in Athens too and I'm in the same situation as you atm. Durham is something different for us anyway. I guess we have to get over the London hype
greek
Rep:
?
I think that UK as a whole is sth. different for us..We'll forget the sun!Anyway, are you going to Oxford finally?
Ultima.
Report 9 years ago
Haven't heard back from them yet, but to be honest I don't think I'll get accepted. I decided to apply just on a whim (to see what's gonna happen ).

And yeah you're right, the whole UK experience is sth different for us. I guess I was referring to Durham in the way that it's a small historical city whereas Athens is huge (historical too but in a different way..)

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!
greek
Rep:
?
Of course... Durham is a tiny village with probably one of the worst nightlife in Europe..The collegiate system maybe helps the situation..On the other hand we are going there to study so maybe a quiet place is better!

Where are you going then?? If Oxford say no?I wish you to be accepted though!
Ultima.
Report 9 years ago
hey thanks!

Well...I have to choose among KCL, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Lancaster and Essex
Thing is, I'm thinking about nightlife too (even though I shouldn't!). True we're going there to study. I spent a semester in Luton as an erasmus student and the weather can get you really down (plus the workload!). On topic, I think Durham no matter how small it is, as a student city probably offers all that a student wants, in terms of entertainment too (think of Komotini). You may not have the variety of places and things to do as you would have in London but then again it's only for a year. Plus, people matter too, who knows, you may find the most fun people to hang out).

Sometimes I wish someone else would decide for me
greek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ultima.)
hey thanks!

Well...I have to choose among KCL, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Lancaster and Essex
Thing is, I'm thinking about nightlife too (even though I shouldn't!). True we're going there to study. I spent a semester in Luton as an erasmus student and the weather can get you really down (plus the workload!). On topic, I think Durham no matter how small it is, as a student city probably offers all that a student wants, in terms of entertainment too (think of Komotini). You may not have the variety of places and things to do as you would have in London but then again it's only for a year. Plus, people matter too, who knows, you may find the most fun people to hang out).

Sometimes I wish someone else would decide for me
I agree totally.Are you sure that you will decide alone?Personally I have taken the most important decisions of my life helped by my lucky coin!Toss a coin :eek3:

Seriously,thank you for your help I'm sure God will bless us to make the right choice.If you choose Newcastle and me Durham we'll be sort of neighbours (again)
Ultima.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by greek)
I agree totally.Are you sure that you will decide alone?Personally I have taken the most important decisions of my life helped by my lucky coin!Toss a coin :eek3:
I don't have a lucky coin! I don't feel like leaving my future to a coin
But I get what you say. You can toss the coin and when one of the sides shows up, it's when you may realise that you actually want the other side hehe

(Original post by greek)
Seriously,thank you for your help I'm sure God will bless us to make the right choice.If you choose Newcastle and me Durham we'll be sort of neighbours (again)
It's nice talking to people who are in the same situation as you, esp. when you share a certain mentality/country etc..

Who knows, we may end up being neighbours; and then you 'll be able to come and party in Newcastle hahaha
greek
Rep:
?
I'll certainly spend some weekends in Newcastle:woo:
Football and Clubbing , what else should a man ask for??
We'll be in contact,nice to meet you, good luck with the applications!
Ultima.
Report 9 years ago
Definitely! Nice to meet you too and good luck!
greek
Rep:
?
bump!any ideas?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?