Turn on thread page Beta

F1 wins to determine champion! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a good idea and will force people to go for wins and not just settle for points.

BBC

I can't wait for the season to get into gear!

ReputationRep:
    This season should be pretty interesting with all of these changes. Let's just hope I don't get confused by it all!

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it. Makes a mockery of the 'team' sport...

ReputationRep:
    I dont get the optional budget cap though. The teams will find other ways of getting arround it, like lots of smaller companies working within the £30m limit then pushing all the technology to the racing team. Thus meaning the team has spent maybe £25m but has maybe £90m of technological development behind it from subsidiary companies.

ReputationRep:
    About time this was brought in. The better driver should win the championship, unlike last season. If this had been brought in last season, Massa would have been champion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ Chemnerd)
    About time this was brought in. The better driver should win the championship, unlike last season. If this had been brought in last season, Massa would have been champion.
    So we'd have had a champion who can only race in perfect conditions? Truly, Massa I maybe a top five driver, at best.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it is a good thing. Winning races should get you a championship not making conservative race plans.

ReputationRep:
    This means that a driver could in principle win the inital majority of races and take a break for the rest of the season.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I agree with the changes, surely you need to be consistent to win the championship too? This way you could win the championship with 6 or 7 wins but not do so well in the other races.

This is all too confusing!

(Alonso for 2009 title!)

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it. The principle of eliminating conservative race plans is good but I prefer the points system.
    Plus there is also the problem of having a completely dominant driver at the start of the season. If he gets to the majority wins half way through the season, the second half is almost pointless. For example in the 2004 season, Schumi would have won the title with 8 races remaining.

ReputationRep:
    yes but i dont think we will really see dominant drivers now because of the rule changes. I expect this season to see many teams win races, and the year after when they introduce the 30 million pound cap or unlimited but for restrictive tech specifications i think it will be very open.

ReputationRep:
    All my excitement for the new season has suddenly vanished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danfl2004)
    yes but i dont think we will really see dominant drivers now because of the rule changes. I expect this season to see many teams win races, and the year after when they introduce the 30 million pound cap or unlimited but for restrictive tech specifications i think it will be very open.
    It's all very well putting caps on budgets, but Formula 1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport. All these rule changes may be making it more competitive for the lower teams but it means the technological advancements are going to dry up because everything becomes standardised. Eventually F1 will lose its reputation as being at the cutting edge and become stagnant.
    I can see it happening already - this season's cars look incredibly 'normal'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerch)
    All my excitement for the new season has suddenly vanished.
    Snap.

Martin Brundle was just talking on BBC News about how the budget cap could cause a civil war between the manufacturers and the FIA, because some teams will have to reduce their budget by up to 90%.

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure as to what to think of this new system

ReputationRep:
    No, no, no, no, no. Stupid idea. Any season based sport is about the consistency of a team throughout the season.

This way means that a driver could win 11 races, crash and burn in the other 9 and still be world champion, whereas the guy who is consistantly 2nd all season gets eff all.

Stupid.

Edit: Only just clicked the link. They're actually doing it aren't they. Mother-*******. They've ruined the whole point of a league. For **** sake wake up Bernie - last season was a brilliant battle right down to the end, I've never seen such a tense finish to a season, and now you're effectively ruining it. Just **** off and die already, let somebody with half a brain take over. ******.

Sorry for expletives. This really angers me.

ReputationRep:
    yeh this is really stupid, just increase the gap between the number of points between a win and second place if you are going to do this so that its worth striving for higher places.

ReputationRep:
    The problem at the moment is there is only 2 points difference between 1st and 2nd. Teams are obviously not going to risk it for only 2 points. Just change the points - make it 4 or 5 between 1st and 2nd, then they might be more inclined to go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    It's all very well putting caps on budgets, but Formula 1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport. All these rule changes may be making it more competitive for the lower teams but it means the technological advancements are going to dry up because everything becomes standardised. Eventually F1 will lose its reputation as being at the cutting edge and become stagnant.
    I can see it happening already - this season's cars look incredibly 'normal'.
    I totally agree! Formula 1 is what it is because of it spearheading technological advancements in motorsports. Now with this £30m budget cap I can't see F1 progressing. FIA say that the cap will stimulate clever engineering but there's only so much one can do with such a small amount of money. I would have thought FIA would have been smart about this and made a steady transition to smaller budgets. It doesn't make sense to cut down budgets from as much as £300-400m to a mere £30m.

Also, I don't get the logic of banning all the testing right at the time when F1 is going through a whole new change with so many new regulations and the KERS system coming into play. If there was any time teams needed the extra tests it's now because they're having to develop totally new technology. I'm surprised how cooperative F1 teams have been, I would expect some protests to these ridiculous proposals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    No, no, no, no, no. Stupid idea. Any season based sport is about the consistency of a team throughout the season.

This way means that a driver could win 11 races, crash and burn in the other 9 and still be world champion, whereas the guy who is consistantly 2nd all season gets eff all.
    Well yea. Isn't going to happen though is it?

Consistency is ********. The current rules are only in place because people hoped a load of second places might beat Schumacher to the title.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.