The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge is 'fancier'. The surroundings are nice, my kitchen is massive and the bathrooms are just y'know, standard.

Both are very sociable halls as you live in close quarters with lots of people (10-14!).

Conditions for studying.. you get a desk? Internet connection? It's fine.

Meals.. I'm not sure what you mean. They're not catered halls. You feed yourself. Go in t'kitchen, make food, eat it. I'm not sure waht you mean by coping.. it's really not a problem??
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Yeah, halls are NOT catered, please bear that in mind! I think MMU have one catered halls (catered meaning someone cooks food for you and the cost of this is included in the bill), and Cambridge and Cavendish are not it. You don't want to go to a catered halls anyway, half of the fun is eating what you want, when you want it. You might be talking about sharing a kitchen, when everyone decides its time to eat at once, and this can be a problem, but just have your dinner a bit before/after the rush and you'll be fine.

The people is impossible to say, as you'll be moving in with a whole new bunch of people. Its entirely based on luck, but chances are you'll get people you can at least get along with. Everyone is in the same new situation and so will want to make friends.

Conditions for studying, well as its halls it can get noisy at times, when someone's having a party or playing their music too loud or something. But as said there's a desk and an internet connection. One thing about the internet, its a shared connection so when a lot of people are using it its really slow, and at the moment a lot of people have this virus thats going round because they're idiots, and that affects the network also. Not really a problem if you're just looking at text sites but online gaming and video sites become unbearable at times. In the day though, everything is good.

Ideally you need to come and look at the places, but if you're in Poland that could be a tall order.
Reply 3
I've been to both because I have friends at the uni. I'd say Cambridge is better :smile: The kitchens are huuuge but like someone else said the bathrooms pretty standard but thats what you'd expect in halls.
Reply 4
I lived in the hall only for girls during my first two years of high school, and I didn't like it very much. I had to shared room with three girls and there were four bathroom for almost fifty girls. The problem with food, I first of all mean prices and is there any canteen or something like that near campus?
Fifty people? What. Its nothing like that, in Cambridge its 10 people in a flat with 2 toilets, so one between 5 people.

There are canteens in some of the uni buildings and the student's union serves but its not worth it. Buying food from somewhere is always more expensive than buying your own and cooking it. There's a small supermarket right behind Cambridge, a slightly bigger one on the main road, and a massive 24 hour thing a 15 minute walk away.

I'm not sure how your halls were at high school, but by the sounds of it things are totally different here. I feel I should emphasize again; at uni, you cook your own food most of the time!
Cambridge looked way better when I looked around. So I'm applying for halls in Cambridge soon as we possibly can. Honestly everything about them looked class, the kitchens/lounge was cool, the seperate compartments in the fridge etc.

Looks class.
Reply 7
I'm applying for Cambridge halls too! We can do it after April right?
Yessssssss from the 1st April. It sucks as I really wanted to do it already but the bassas won't let us till then.
I'm waiting for it so badly I'll be ready on the 1st.
Reply 9
Yeah I'm going to call accomodation tomorrow because I want to double check I can do it if I'm a foundation student. I want to make sure I can get everything filled in on the 1st! When do we find out if we can get a room?
Reply 10
im so gutted, i was gonna pick one of these halls, but ive found out you cant get a place in these halls if you live less than 25 miles away! which i do.
Reply 11
hannahc123
im so gutted, i was gonna pick one of these halls, but ive found out you cant get a place in these halls if you live less than 25 miles away! which i do.

Less than 25 miles away?

What? So the people who live close enough to be able to commute get a place in halls but those of us who lives hours away don't? Thats pathetic!
Reply 12
fran.ha
Less than 25 miles away?

What? So the people who live close enough to be able to commute get a place in halls but those of us who lives hours away don't? Thats pathetic!

i understand that people far away should get places. even though i live close its still far, expensive and not convient to commute everyday.
Reply 13
I understand you perfectly well. My high school is about 1,5 hour away from the place my family live and this is too far and first of all too tiring to commute. And I have moved to Cracow.
fran.ha
Less than 25 miles away?

You've got it backwards, people within 25 miles DON'T get a place. Why would they do it the way you said, that'd be crazy!

Either way this does seem an odd rule, they make it sound like you're not allowed in the halls AT ALL, surely you should be allowed, but people more than 25 miles away get priority over them. 25 miles is too far a distance as well, I'm sure Wigan is within 25 miles and that's a fair trek to do everyday, not to mention expensive.
Reply 15
olliemilne
You've got it backwards, people within 25 miles DON'T get a place. Why would they do it the way you said, that'd be crazy!

Either way this does seem an odd rule, they make it sound like you're not allowed in the halls AT ALL, surely you should be allowed, but people more than 25 miles away get priority over them. 25 miles is too far a distance as well, I'm sure Wigan is within 25 miles and that's a fair trek to do everyday, not to mention expensive.

Haha, I get it now! For some reason I read hannahc's comment back to front, so I thought people within 25 miles got a place and those further than 25 miles didn't, which was why I thought it was insane!
Reply 16
olliemilne

I had to get my head round this when I applied last year, it is true that they won't offer you accommodation at all if you live within 25 miles, you have to apply to private halls or commute - that's alright if you live a short hop on the bus away but it's a bitch if you live just outside Greater Manchester.

It's not fair if someone lives 26 miles away but right near a mainline railway station and motorways and gets accommodation whereas someone who lives 24 miles away and in the middle of nowhere doesn't. It used to be 30 miles until last year, so it was even worse.
I used to commute about 25 miles to college, so it is doable but you miss out on a huge part of going to uni by doing it. There is loads of accommodation in Manchester as well, but I find that fact they don't even consider people for uni halls if they live within 25 miles really odd. As you say there are situations where people live within 25 miles and could take them hours to get there, and people who live more than that and can do it in less than 2 hours.
Really they should judge each case on its own but I suppose being one of the biggest unis in the country, they just don't have the time. I guess they have to draw a line somewhere, but 25 miles seems excessive.

But yeah there is always private halls, which vary from bad to excellent.
fran.ha
Yeah I'm going to call accomodation tomorrow because I want to double check I can do it if I'm a foundation student. I want to make sure I can get everything filled in on the 1st! When do we find out if we can get a room?

The people I tlaked to at the open days said that anyone that applies before July is pretty much guaranteed to get a place in Cambridge hall even though it is by far the most applied to.

So as long as you aren't overly slow I think we'll be fine.

Can't waitttt
Reply 19
Good luck to anyone applying for halls! I tried to do mine today but as I only accepted my offer on Friday it won't let me apply until the system updates me. I'm gonna check every day until it lets me though!

Latest

Trending

Trending