The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

reastle1
I was very careful not to emphasise my extra curricular activities too much, had one small paragraph about them at the end of my personal statement.

This is so strange... You're subjects were all pretty solid as well... I don't blame you for feeling bitter/resentful...
Reply 81
reastle1
i thought it would be better to reapply than go somewhere I didn't want - 1st year my only offer was Nottingham which was my insurance choice - and felt that because I got the grades I shouldn't go to a uni I didn't want to. Then last year I got an offer from York - again I looked round the uni and made the decision that York was not for me (I know it is a very good university but it didn't appeal to me). So yes the situation is partly my fault, but still finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that despite getting the grades I won't be able to go to my first choice uni.

I would have killed for an offer from York. This makes me dislike you >=[
reastle1
and yes of course im bitter i worked hard to get good grades and they seem to mean very little. and i am passionate both about english and history.

is this what you aimed to show in your PS?
because if so, that may well be your answer-
both are extremely competative- if you don't show absolutely dedication to the one you are applying for, you will be written off by all the universities you are applying for

which subject did you apply for?
what sort of things did you talk about in your PS?

i sympathise with you OP- this must be an extremely frustrating experience!
Reply 83
Obvious troll is obvious.
You people are being way to harsh on the OP. If I was in his situation I'd be pretty pissed off too!
Reply 85
yellowwdaisy
is this what you aimed to show in your PS?
because if so, that may well be your answer-
both are extremely competative- if you don't show absolutely dedication to the one you are applying for, you will be written off by all the universities you are applying for

which subject did you apply for?
what sort of things did you talk about in your PS?

i sympathise with you OP- this must be an extremely frustrating experience!

Applied for English first 2 years and was careful not to write about my love for history! Then applied for History last year as thought the change would be good and because I love it as well. Talked about different things each year, most recent one for History talked about my favourite parts of History, how I enjoyed the independence of researching the Unit 4 aspect of A level, the things I've done since school to further my interest of history - reading and travelling.
alenax
who's that in your sig?

Alexis Brown from Straight Line Stitch. Unless you mean Iron Maiden's mascot, Eddie. :cool:
Reply 87
halbeth
I would have killed for an offer from York. This makes me dislike you >=[

Sorry - completely sympathise as I would kill for an offer from Bristol especially, so dislike people who have offers from there who aren't taking them!
Reply 88
reastle1
I did English, History, Maths and Psychology. Also did the English AEA and got a merit. Did them over 2 years, getting 4 As (most of them very high) for AS so my predictions were 4 As as well.

hmm ...... Interesting

By any chance you are 70+ yrs old? :confused:
Reply 89
Maybe you're not putting enough emphasis on the subject in your personal statement?? I mean it's great that you've got grade 7's and 8 in instruments XYZ, but what if the other candidates have voluntarily taught english as a foreign language and written their own play, or had a poem published? Maybe you are concentrating too much on extra curricular?? Especially as now you're on your third year out, these achievements might have happened some time ago, and the universities want to know more recent developments?? I'm applying for my third time because I keep changing my mind, but mentioned nothing of what I had done at school/college because three years on it's really not relevant anymore. I focused on what I had been doing with myself since.
you must have pissed someone pretty powerful off
Reply 91
caffee
Maybe you're not putting enough emphasis on the subject in your personal statement?? I mean it's great that you've got grade 7's and 8 in instruments XYZ, but what if the other candidates have voluntarily taught english as a foreign language and written their own play, or had a poem published? Maybe you are concentrating too much on extra curricular?? Especially as now you're on your third year out, these achievements might have happened some time ago, and the universities want to know more recent developments?? I'm applying for my third time because I keep changing my mind, but mentioned nothing of what I had done at school/college because three years on it's really not relevant anymore. I focused on what I had been doing with myself since.

You are very right and I did try to mention as little as possible things at school etc - didn't even mention my music because you can put grades on the Ucas application bit. I talked about reading I've done since leaving school, travelling related to history etc so was focusing on things I had been doing recently.
Reply 92
Why didn't you try applying for Oxbridge?With such good grades,there is a chance that you will be offered.
Reply 93
caffee

Agreed - one can also apply to Cambridge on the Mature student quota, where it is not competitive at all. :smile:
Liquidus Zeromus
I could put it down to your attitude. Typical unwarranted self-importance.

I think thats a bit unfair- you can't tell what the OP's attitude is like if you haven't seen her in person or even heard her speak- whatever she might have said here
how you know your ps is good, clearly something wrong with it if they keep on rejecting you, why don't you let the ps helpers look over it

maybe your talking to much about what you do, other then why you want to study what you want to study
Wow, with grades like that you should have got into at least Edinburgh easily enough...

Your name's not something like Osama Bin Laden is it?
Reply 97
rnshan
Agreed - one can also apply to Cambridge on the Mature student quota, where it is not competitive at all. :smile:

I beg to differ.The colleges accepting mature students are relatively competitive,majority of whom are from overseas.They usually take in very few mature students.
Reply 98
TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL :mad:
Reply 99
Is the private school you go to super-prestigious? What are your grades like in comparison to your peers?

Latest

Trending

Trending