Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Doing a group presentation this afternoon ( at 6:00pm) for my access psychology, and I am, 'ehm' looking forward to it.

Half of the group is effectively missing. Remaining members (me) and the other guy have had to double up on the work.

I reckon they will turn up today expecting credit for our hard work. Think again!! its not happening!!

God, I love ' group presentations'. lol

ReputationRep:
    My sister was in a similar situation where this girl didn't absolutly nothing but demanded credit for the presentation - so my sister descreetly at the end went up the the lecturer (or whoever) and told her evreything - she failed the module.
    I suugest you do this - im sure that the guy your working with will back you up on this.

EDIT: by the way good luck im sure you'll do fine

ReputationRep:
    And whats baffling is that these are mature students!!.... not teenagers!!...

ReputationRep:
    This happened at uni when one of guys in our group tuned up once out of around 10 meetings (including practicals and write up). One time he even walked in claiming he couldn't be a participant because he'd sprained his ankle, and was later seen by our lab technician running up the stairs in the lecture theatre.

We asked if it was appropriate to report his lack of attendance so he didn't achieve from our work but we needed a group meeting with everyone present with our supervisor and to have evidence, such as emails and text messages which had the aggangements on, most of which had been deleted by this point. So we didn't bother and he gained from our work, I wasn't that bothered though because it didn't affect our mark so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxAFFxx)
    My sister was in a similar situation where this girl didn't absolutly nothing but demanded credit for the presentation - so my sister descreetly at the end went up the the lecturer (or whoever) and told her evreything - she failed the module.
    I suugest you do this - im sure that the guy your working with will back you up on this.

EDIT: by the way good luck im sure you'll do fine
    Thanks =)

We're doing the 'Nature vs Nurture debate'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    This happened at uni when one of guys in our group tuned up once out of around 10 meetings (including practicals and write up). One time he even walked in claiming he couldn't be a participant because he'd sprained his ankle, and was later seen by our lab technician running up the stairs in the lecture theatre.

We asked if it was appropriate to report his lack of attendance so he didn't achieve from our work but we needed a group meeting with everyone present with our supervisor and to have evidence, such as emails and text messages which had the aggangements on, most of which had been deleted by this point. So we didn't bother and he gained from our work, I wasn't that bothered though because it didn't affect our mark so...
    lol... terrible!!

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you have discussed this with your tutor/lecturer/whatever beforehand? A quick email saying so-and-so isn't pulling their weight would probably have got the problem sorted.

But yes, group work is awful. I'm in the middle of doing half a lab report, this other girl's doing the other half and I've got a horrible feeling she won't have it done by Thursday when we're meant to combine our halves. Group work is so stressful, you have to organise people and make them do stuff without being rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstude)
    lol... terrible!!
    **** head springs to mind... it was the module of the group work so he knew we'd be in there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New...Romantic)
    Shouldn't you have discussed this with your tutor/lecturer/whatever beforehand? A quick email saying so-and-so isn't pulling their weight would probably have got the problem sorted.

But yes, group work is awful. I'm in the middle of doing half a lab report, this other girl's doing the other half and I've got a horrible feeling she won't have it done by Thursday when we're meant to combine our halves. Group work is so stressful, you have to organise people and make them do stuff without being rude.
    I will mention it today. And I will tell you why I havent mentioned it beforehand, basically, because its not my place to ruin their future? (access+mature students) we've left them enough time/space to contact us and join in - but to no avail. I have left them to their own devices. The tutor will deal with them how she see's fit, i guess.

Above all, me and the other guy are natural 'grafters' - so no big deal. I just felt like venting some anger? lol

ReputationRep:
    I will mention it today. And I will tell you why I havent mentioned it beforehand, basically, because its not my place to ruin their future? (access+mature students) we've left them enough time/space to contact us and join in - but to no avail. I have left them to their own devices. The tutor will deal with them how she see's fit, i guess.

Above all, me and the other guy are natural 'grafters' - so no big deal. I just felt like venting some anger? lol
    How would you be ruining their future? A quick work beforehand would maybe have meant that the lecturer would have contacted them telling them to do the work. By telling them now, aren't you more likely to get marks taken from them? Not that that's your problem, if they don't do the work they don't deserve the marks.

I know that you're just annoyed and complaining about it on here, but I still think that situations like this should be dealt with in advance. You can't really complain about doing all the work if you didn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    How would you be ruining their future? A quick work beforehand would maybe have meant that the lecturer would have contacted them telling them to do the work. By telling them now, aren't you more likely to get marks taken from them? Not that that's your problem, if they don't do the work they don't deserve the marks.

I know that you're just annoyed and complaining about it on here, but I still think that situations like this should be dealt with in advance. You can't really complain about doing all the work if you didn't mind.
    I see your point.

I'm not sure if im willing to accept the excuse ' personal issues etc'. Its their future - they're old enough ( one of them has grey hair and is bald) to understand the ramifications of group responsiblity. Although, evidently not.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point.

I'm not sure if im willing to accept the excuse ' personal issues etc'. Its their future - they're old enough ( one of them has grey hair and is bald) to understand the ramifications of group responsiblity. Although, evidently not.
    Well really it's up to the lecturer whether to accept their excuses. And I don't see what age has to do with it, you mentioned earlier that they're not teenagers so should know better. But I fail to see what that has to do with anything, most people on my course are straight from school and in the main, everyone contributes and works hard (I seem to have wandered into the mature students forum by accident).

I'm sorry, I'm just in an argumentative mood today. Good luck with your presentation and I hope you get all the issues sorted out with your group.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, it has everything to do with age. This is the access course.

ReputationRep:

Perhaps the idea of University is that you learn more than the course content?

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, it has everything to do with age. This is the access course.
    And? Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Perhaps the idea of University is that you learn more than the course content?
    I know... I was just being sympathetic and having a moan about my own work.

ReputationRep:
    The presentation was a doddle - got 90% for it - oh, and my psychology essay got top marks 92% :-)

Unit B and C to go!!! ( ponders about Unit C and the 3,000 topical essay he needs to do - and it cannot be anything covered in class)

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.