Diversity Events Watch

West Ham Banker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just out of interest has anybody or know anybody who has attended a diversity event that shouldn't have been there.

For example would any of you go to this lesbian, gay and transgender event to meet bankers all expenses paid? http://www.insideandout-banking.com/

Would be funny if a white british male applied to SEO and put down a different nationality, would they get stopped?
gangst
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol, is that website serious?

If you really want to go into IB, it doesn't matter if your straight, gay, lesbian or what not; it is what you want to do.

Why make such an 'issue' out of it.
uthinkilltellu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd image that a quite few heteros could hack it as gay... upto the point when after the drinks in the evening the MDs, who, it has to be said, only came to the said event for some young poon, tell the "not-gay-yet-very-desperate-for-an-internship-guy" that they'll be conducting some informal interviews in the jacuzzi. Would he care to join them?, as they are interested in his young errr... personality.
MaxMaxMax
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I attended an SEO event at Uni once, not fully knowing what SEO was all about before it though. After the presentation I picked up a leaflet and had it promptly yanked out of my hand by one of the presenters for having the wrong skin colour (ie white). This was the presenter who moments ago had been wheezing on about how skin colour shouldn't matter and how everyone should have equal opportunities in EVERYTHING regardless of race -don't you just love hypocrites :rolleyes:

Regarding the LGBT event, sounds like a plan -it's not like your sexuality is as visible as your skin colour so you're free from any discrimination lol!
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There has never been a better time to be an an asian/black lesbian trying to break into the upper echelons of finance by the looks of it.
jjpp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haz313)
There has never been a better time to be an an asian/black lesbian trying to break into the upper echelons of finance by the looks of it.
they always need one to put in the diversity brochures.
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by West Ham Banker)
Just out of interest has anybody or know anybody who has attended a diversity event that shouldn't have been there.

For example would any of you go to this lesbian, gay and transgender event to meet bankers all expenses paid? http://www.insideandout-banking.com/

Would be funny if a white british male applied to SEO and put down a different nationality, would they get stopped?
wow, a woman wearing a suit!!
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chewwy)
wow, a woman wearing a suit!!
I'm guessing she has the role of the 'man' in the relationship
PorcineAviation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We shouldn't joke about this... these are important issues in the modern era. I, for one, stand by SEO and other such companies fighting to give black/gay people more opportunities than white/normalstraight people. It's only fair.
KK89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From the website:

'Inside & Out is a networking event specially designed to help lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender undergraduates find out about careers in investment banking.'

How would being lesbian, gay, bisexual or a ****** stop you from going on www.gs.com and do some research yourself? Last time I checked my ball sacs didn't get in the way of me typing on my keyboard or going on the internet for research. What a joke.
KLL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was always wondering... whats the requirements for SEO as for ethnicity..
Is beeing chinese-german enuogh?
Inter-Company
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KK89)
From the website:

'Inside & Out is a networking event specially designed to help lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender undergraduates find out about careers in investment banking.'

How would being lesbian, gay, bisexual or a ****** stop you from going on www.gs.com and do some research yourself? Last time I checked my ball sacs didn't get in the way of me typing on my keyboard or going on the internet for research. What a joke.
That's the thing; neither would your skin colour, regardless of what it is, stop you from typing gs.com and doing the same.

But remember, 'in a global world, diversity is the way forward' :rolleyes:*

* roll eyes indicate that I am against all 'back-door' (excuse the pun in regards to the context of this thread) entries into IB
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Inter-Company)
That's the thing; neither would your skin colour, regardless of what it is, stop you from typing gs.com and doing the same.

But remember, 'in a global world, diversity is the way forward' :rolleyes:*

* roll eyes indicate that I am against all 'back-door' (excuse the pun in regards to the context of this thread) entries into IB
Haha. I was searching through some old threads earlier on and came across an SEO thread. How did those two asian guys at GS (the ones who came through the 'back door') fair in the end?
Inter-Company
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haz313)
Haha. I was searching through some old threads earlier on and came across an SEO thread. How did those two asian guys at GS (the ones who came through the 'back door') fair in the end?
No offers made surprisingly enough; apart from 1 BO job in operations/tech (forget which), none of the SEO interns got a conversion within the group.
Haz313
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No offers made surprisingly enough; apart from 1 BO job in operations/tech (forget which), none of the SEO interns got a conversion within the group.
I'm assuming there was a noticeable gulf in the quality of the SEO candidates in comparison to the standard ones?
ElemenT'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MaxMaxMax)
I attended an SEO event at Uni once, not fully knowing what SEO was all about before it though. After the presentation I picked up a leaflet and had it promptly yanked out of my hand by one of the presenters for having the wrong skin colour (ie white). This was the presenter who moments ago had been wheezing on about how skin colour shouldn't matter and how everyone should have equal opportunities in EVERYTHING regardless of race -don't you just love hypocrites :rolleyes:

Regarding the LGBT event, sounds like a plan -it's not like your sexuality is as visible as your skin colour so you're free from any discrimination lol!
SEO is a complete joke. People who get into IB through these easy routes should not get any respect. "oh I'm not good enough so lets see if I can sneak through net playing the racism/gay card."

Pathetic....
ElemenT'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good!
Nimiza
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ElemenT')
Good!
There's disagreeing with something, and then there's being spiteful and immature. Grow up.

Back on topic, SEO has a conversion rate of internships to jobs of 80%. Better than normal isn't it?

This year the banks actually increased their number of SEO candidates as they were getting high quality interns from SEO. Don't forget, we have to go through numerical tests and interviews/case studies with VP's/MD's from banks just like everyone else.

In response to the earlier post about "not being good enough to get in," I consider myself a good candidate (great EC's, top grades, good knowledge of financial markets/current affairs etc.) and I received 3 rejections and one telephone interview before I was accepted into SEO (and had to terminate the rest of my pending applications). I know a lot of good candidates who got all rejections. And before you say, I know what good candidates are, I've met a lot of people who get through the first round, let's just say there's a huge variability.
We all know it's a lottery. HR simply have to view too many applications to be able to get it all right, so in short, there's no "good enough" to get in. There's "good enough and lucky enough."

At the end of the day, there is a lot of insitutional racism in this country, especially in the world of high finance, where the white middle class aren't exactly thin on the ground. SEO simply evens the odds.
portmanteux
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nimiza)
There's disagreeing with something, and then there's being spiteful and immature. Grow up.

Back on topic, SEO has a conversion rate of internships to jobs of 80%. Better than normal isn't it?

This year the banks actually increased their number of SEO candidates as they were getting high quality interns from SEO. Don't forget, we have to go through numerical tests and interviews/case studies with VP's/MD's from banks just like everyone else.

In response to the earlier post about "not being good enough to get in," I consider myself a good candidate (great EC's, top grades, good knowledge of financial markets/current affairs etc.) and I received 3 rejections and one telephone interview before I was accepted into SEO (and had to terminate the rest of my pending applications). I know a lot of good candidates who got all rejections. And before you say, I know what good candidates are, I've met a lot of people who get through the first round, let's just say there's a huge variability.
We all know it's a lottery. HR simply have to view too many applications to be able to get it all right, so in short, there's no "good enough" to get in. There's "good enough and lucky enough."

At the end of the day, there is a lot of insitutional racism in this country, especially in the world of high finance, where the white middle class aren't exactly thin on the ground. SEO simply evens the odds.
I don't like SEO because it should be class-based i.e. schooling etc rather than just skin colour.
Nimiza
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by portmanteux)
I don't like SEO because it should be class-based i.e. schooling etc rather than just skin colour.
Maybe you should make a class-based version of SEO then. It doesn't sound like a bad idea. There are a few similar projects around, but none on the scale of SEO.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (190)
18.57%
No (620)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed