The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
There is nothing wrong with beating your kids every once in a while. She was clearly being a nuisance.

OP, tell your dad to man up. Next time she gets out of line, tell him to forcefully knock her to the ground, perform the Boston-crab manoeuvre while your mother punches her in the face until submission. Depending on the severity of her sin(s), she may just continue even after submission.
Reply 121
no bcos they're stopping her from doing anything she enjoys; running in this case.
also your sister sounds like a bitch & your dad sounds abit weird for hitting her, although i would too.
Reply 122
Gulli
so are you sayiing that if the parents are poor and can't afford luxuries to give to their children then their children owe them nothing? because thats not true
or do you have a different definition of luxury to me?

My upbringing was characterised by poverty from the very outset, but my mother never had to resort to violence to instil me with the appropriate sense of obligation: when you value someone's affection and approbation to the extent of taking it for granted, finding yourself suddenly spurned by that person is an incredibly potent deterrent to future misdemeanours - indeed, for her to hit me as a matter of course would have been to imply that she lacked anything of 'value' to take away bar the arbitrary imposition of physical pain, and tantamount to an admission of her having failed as a parent.

second point, she new what she was doing was wrong/ not allowed and new the consequences if she did it again... take some responsibility

Threats do not legitimise the violence they entail.
Reply 123
The grounding was justified. The responsability does not fall completely on the girl... The father is partially responsible for provoking behaviour.

If you don't respect me, I don't respect you. Simple as. It shouldn't matter if they are your parents or not.
jaz_jaz
no bcos they're stopping her from doing anything she enjoys; running in this case.
also your sister sounds like a bitch & your dad sounds abit weird for hitting her, although i would too.

Stopping them from doing something they enjoy is pretty much the point of grounding someone.
Reply 125
FyreFight
Stopping them from doing something they enjoy is pretty much the point of grounding someone.

i know....i agree with what they've done....
junglemonkey
:lolwut: why have I to hush?

Cause he can't read :tongue:
Reply 127
nah I"m on her side on this one, it sounds like your dad was being a little bit nasty. She shouldn"t have hit him, but the punishment is hard, esp stopping her from going jogging, they should encourage that.

Peace x
Btw - I don't think he should of hit her. I just think that punching your dad is cause for grounding.
Reply 129
viirkokka
she was way out of order, im suprised he didnt make her suck him off

now that"s just nasty lol
jaz_jaz
i know....i agree with what they've done....

Ah, sorry, I assumed the 'no' was a response to the question 'is this fair?'. My mistake!
I think I'd be unable to leave the house if I punched my dad!

Lol! In my house though, I'm more likely to get a slap on the head for turning the heating on not off! My dad only likes spending money on the heating when we've got icicles hanging off our noses! :biggrin:
Reply 132
MattHummer
**** off. he chose to have the kid, he's responsible for her wellbeing. 'his house'. its the family house, not his house.

you're so repressed it's unbelievable. take your blinkers off and realise that in the 21st century, daddy isnt boss. respect your parents, don't fear them.

people like you disgust me.

This. Very much this. I don't even care if it's fair or not, but THIS. If the dad is as acting like as much of a child as the child then he shouldn't have kids at all.

OP: Your sister certainly wasn't right to punch him in the face, but I doubt the blame lies entirely with her. Your dad sounds like just as much of a cock.
Lol @ you lot asian punishment is alot tougher

my dad used to slap me with an open hand full force since i was 1 year old, but stopped when I was 18, I definately feel as though it made me more mature and I never hit in the face
Reply 134
She was wrong, but he was even more in the wrong for slapping her.
Profesh
My upbringing was characterised by poverty from the very outset, but my mother never had to resort to violence to instil me with the appropriate sense of obligation: when you value someone's affection and approbation to the extent of taking it for granted, finding yourself suddenly spurned by that person is an incredibly potent deterrent to future misdemeanours - indeed, for her to hit me as a matter of course would have been to imply that she lacked anything of 'value' to take away bar the arbitrary imposition of physical pain, and tantamount to an admission of her having failed as a parent.

Threats do not legitimise the violence they entail.

You mean your parents were poor?

But what if you're not a mummy's boy?
Reply 136
i can't blame her for punching him the heating noise is incredibly irritating.
lol at the people saying that he had no right to hit her.. she's fourteen and from the sounds of it she was being an annoying brat, it's not like he didn't ask her reasonably first
Yes, she shouldn't have punched him. Two months? That's not bad for assaulting your parent. I'm not sure she was old enough, but most times we call that domestic abuse. I don't think a light slap was enough to warrant anything.

I don't agree with what either of them did. In fact, even before it got physical, your family relationships didn't sound healthy. I hope this isn't what it is like all the time.

EskimoJo
Lol! In my house though, I'm more likely to get a slap on the head for turning the heating on not off! My dad only likes spending money on the heating when we've got icicles hanging off our noses! :biggrin:

My mom is very passive aggressive about it. I'm told about how much the heating bill went up 50 times in a month.

So I end up wearing three sweaters, two pairs of socks, snow pants and a parka in the house during December.:biggrin:
Reply 139
Is your sister likely to stop eating to avoid getting fat? Daily running sounds a bit much to me. But if she actually just loves running maybe she could arrange something with the PE department at school or something.
As for your dad, he sounds awful! It's not like she didn't have a good reason to want the heating turned off. I think it's totally unreasonable of him to expect his family to behave like his belongings and do what they are told. Does he force his wants on you and your mum too? I think your sister is right to stand up to him, especially if he hit her, but I don't think hitting him was the right way to go. If I was her I would report that he hit her, because that is totally wrong even if he only meant it in jest. I feel really sorry for you!
Edit: Also, did your dad not realise that using violence to force his family to do what he wants them to would result in him normalising violence for you? He sounds like a really awful person to live with.

Latest

Trending

Trending