Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I decided to join TSR because I have to firm a uni now.

GCSE: 7A*s and 5As
    A-levels: Matha (A). Eco, Physics and Chem (on course for an A)
    As-Level: FM (should be an A) and crit think (A)

I have offers from Notts, Warwick, LSE (came on friday) and southampton
    Rejcted from cambridge (trinity hall)

Since last year i decided notts was the place for me but since i recieved this offer from LSE i just do not know what to do.

Notts has the course felxbility, campus and atmosphere.
    LSE has the reputation and lucky to get an offer as only about 70-85 UK student places.
    Warwick will be my back-up most probably as it does not appeal to me as much.

I would much appreciate any help in deciding ... hopefully from students at LSE to tell me what the atmosphere is like there.

Thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Firm: LSE
    Insurance: Warwick

ReputationRep:
    LSE and Warwick/Notts as your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    f lse i warwick

ReputationRep:
    firm LSE
    insurance Warwick

easy choice :P

ReputationRep:
    I know the situations given would be the most obvious ... Firm LSE but apart from reputation and jobs options after i want to know more about the atmosphere. And before anyone says yes it is idiotic to reject LSE but university is more than just education and i live in London already so it may be beneficial to live elsewhere for a while.

ReputationRep:
    you'd be pretty mad to decline LSE..

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you have notts as your insurance, or are the offers identical?

Anyway, if you are sure that you want to go to notts and you won't regret your decision later on, don't be afraid to decline LSE just because its prestigious or whatever. Just make sure you won't be thinking "what if... " in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    Go to somewhere you enjoy, their all very good Unis IMO, but of course LSE is an IB factory, but like me not everyone wants to go to into IB (well not straight away that is lol, well I cant make it in straight away anyway )

Go to somewhere you will enjoy, I know where your coming from on the "living in London" side of things, in my opinion, I can get into some pretty good Unis in London, City/CASS/Queen Mary etc, but if I went up north (like you are) I can get into Unis which may have a bit better rep, but the enjoyment factor will increase 10 fold! From your name, you sound as if your from Asian backround, so am I, and i fully understand your resentment in living in London! If we're going to be living/working/eating/playing here why not bite the bullet and live out for a little while, and as I said, and like most other people, there isnt a MASSIVE difference in employment between LSE and Warwick/Notts now is there? If you still really want to go to LSE after (like me ) do a masters there, you'll be fine academically since you've got an offer and your grades are good, just make sure you get a good 2.1!

If your doing a masters at LSE, ill see you in a couple of years mate, but remember, a degree isnt just about education, its about having the best 3 years of your life!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks hamzab.
    I hope to do a PhD in development eco or something similar at cambridge after. That would have been the ideal uni as its like a campus and has rep. Im just afraid of thinking what if, if i go notts. Im sure i can get a 2:1 or even a 1st there but at LSE the maths will from what i have heard be overwelming and despite my grades i am not the best at it. But the thing is i just dont wanna be thinking what if.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.Patel)
    thanks hamzab.
    I hope to do a pHD in development eco or something similar at cambridge after. That would have been the ideal uni as its like a campus and has rep. Im just afraid of thinking what if, if i go notts. Im sure i can get a 2:1 or even a 1st there but at LSE the maths will from what i have heard be overwelming. But the thing is i just dont wanna be thinking what if.
    Yeh, the Maths at LSE is IMMENSE, something that im going to struggle with, thats why Im going to do the 2 year masters (one year Diploma to bring you "up to scratch" with LSE's Maths levels as thats the only thing they do different, the maths, they love it there lol, and since I dont do it at A2 (taking the AS maths next year with my A2s Eco, Geog and Hist) I have to part time A2 course out of Uni, then when Ive had a job for BIG4 hopefully for a few years, Ill ask them to fund me a bit lol!) But with you, you seem a bright young chap lol, predicted all A's well done! Im predicted AAB so God willing Ill get that and can get into CASS/City/Loughborough/Essex or something, If I get something miraculous at A2 like you will, then I may take a gap year and re-apply to something top 10 but have 3 of my previous Unis as back-ups in my offers list. Now thats a "what if" thing as I would always be bugging myself wondering where I couldve gone if I did A2 maths!! But with you, youve got some very good Uni choices, not very different so dont get too hungover!

But serioulsy, go to somehwhere you enjoy, Ive always wanted to live out, thats the whole point of Uni right? and us Asians, well, we're going to be in London for a hell of a long time so make use of those 3 years before you get married and all mate!

ReputationRep:
    Haha ... AAB is really good so i would suggest applying to one of the top 5 as a long shot if u could manage to squeeze in the whole maths A-level next year.

Nottingham has that family atmosphere, which is similar to the school i am at right now and it seems right to be in halls and a campus where i can be friends with lots of people.
    LSE gives the impression i will not see most of the people i study with and alot of them will be in the library most of the time I suppose there are UoL halls i could stay at (first year only ... gotta save money as an asian lol) but at notts i could go to a lecture and just sit around on the campus with a people i see all the time.
    My maths teacher went to LSE and she did say that socially she had to make alot of friends from other UoL unis.
    However, LSE is a once in a lifetime chance that i am lucky to have.

ReputationRep:
    Haha ... AAB is really good so i would suggest applying to one of the top 5 as a long shot if u could manage to squeeze in the whole maths A-level next year.

Nottingham has that family atmosphere, which is similar to the school i am at right now and it seems right to be in halls and a campus where i can be friends with lots of people.
    LSE gives the impression i will not see most of the people i study with and alot of them will be in the library most of the time I suppose there are UoL halls i could stay at (first year only ... gotta save money as an asian lol) but at notts i could go to a lecture and just sit around on the campus with a people i see all the time.
    My maths teacher went to LSE and she did say that socially she had to make alot of friends from other UoL unis.
    However, LSE is a once in a lifetime chance that i am lucky to have.
    Hmmm...your right about the once in a lifetime chance kinda thing, but just looking at unistats.com it says that around 60% of LSE's students are undergrad!! So not many students our age, most people I presume go to LSE for Postgrad studies anyway. And unless your prepared to WORK YOUR CHUDDIES OFF lol Its going to be hard trying to have a social life, even if you live in London.

I would seriously go with where YOU want to go, as I said before, there isnt a massive difference in employment between your Unis, so why not give living out a shot, Notts/Warwick both VERY good choices!

Lol Me do A level maths in a year? No chance mate No chance lol. I'll definatly do AS maths in a year and pass with flying colours, but if I do very well at A2, as in AAA, as next year their standards are going to be A*AA so going to have to Ace A2 maths lol!

Belive me mate, Im a cadet so I know a fair share of living out compared to living in a city, when I used to go on 2 week detachments i had the best time of my life, apart from the fun activites we did (I.E shooting, flying, night-ex etc) the people that I met were class and at the end of it, even though only knew them for 2 weeks, we were like brothers, because as they say we went through the thick of it lol. And I know this may sound gay but because your always with them, as in sleeping in the same room/halls/barracks, eating together, doing virtually everything together, you develop some sort of unexplainable bond, something not even Maths could prove!

But as I said again, GO where YOU want to GO, LSE is always a Post-grad option, its only one year for you (2 for me! Darn Maths!) so it wont be as if your losing a lot, your employment will rocket thanks to a masters and with that your pay! Plus, you'll still have the LSE experience! (So your Parents can still say My Son Vent LSE! Asian's eh?) Cmon man, be a bit different, all my older mates stayed in London and frankly, that isnt Uni! You have to live out, experience the real world, do you really want parents on your head all the time? Do you think their going to allow you coming home at 3 in the morning? (not giving any ideas here lol) Where else are you going to meet people in the "same boat" as you. As in in London, most people commute from home, but at a Campus Uni up Im sure the majority of folks will be living out! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    What your saying has been on my mind all this time.
    Nottingham is a different experience that i can only have once.
    And i know what you mean about having bonds with friends.

It is just when you have the offer its very hard to decide. It is almost like turning down oxbridge.

P.S. My dad wants me to go imperial so he can say my son vent to imperial lol ... but the amount of times i have told him they do not do my course is a joke.

Thanks for all the advice. I may talk to a few LSE students who do eco (as the ones i do know dont do eco) to see what they think of the place even if they are slightly bias.

ReputationRep:
    LSE hands down.
    Warwick insurance, but if you really love Notts then do that.
    Jeez you got some good uni offers :sad:

ReputationRep:
    What your saying has been on my mind all this time.
    Nottingham is a different experience that i can only have once.
    And i know what you mean about having bonds with friends.

It is just when you have the offer its very hard to decide. It is almost like turning down oxbridge.

P.S. My dad wants me to go imperial so he can say my son vent to imperial lol ... but the amount of times i have told him they do not do my course is a joke.

Thanks for all the advice. I may talk to a few LSE students who do eco (as the ones i do know dont do eco) to see what they think of the place even if they are slightly bias.
    No problem mate! But before I go, I would advise against talking to Eco students at LSE, they will suck you in lol, in my opinion, talk to one or two but dont go talking to all of them. Also, have your own little your and try talk to a few teachers/tutors there

Good luck mate and hopefully Ill see you doing a masters some time soon!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I think im lucky to get those offers and eco is very competitive. Jaz where did u apply if you do not mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hamzab. Hopefully will see you at a masters course.

ReputationRep:
    f LSE
    i Wariwck

imo

ReputationRep:
    You're on a forum where league tables are the modern day Ten Commandments. Go to wherever you feel you would be happiest.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 18, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.