45.83%
ben_lines
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Topic^

Comments also appreciated.
I find it hard to achieve results when ill anywhere near the results i achieve when not ill.
Mr Snips
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd imagine it's a bad idea
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
TRAIN THROUGH THE PAIN

job done
Hatra
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As long as I'm physically capable of training (martial arts), then I always try to, even if it means toning down the intensity of the session. If you're ill, just make sure you don't push yourself too hard - I've made that mistake several times!
nigel_s
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've done it in the past but I've found it prolongs the illness (if it's a cold/flu or something). I agree, it's much less effective.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1. Even if you do bother to go and train chances are you're not going to be able to work as hard or as well as before

2. You stand a good chance of weakening your immune system further and setting back your recovery

Why bother?

If you rest it out you stand a good chance of getting over whatever you're going through quicker and be able to get more workouts in in the long run.
teriaki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Definitely not a good idea. Your body is weak as it is so there is no point in putting any further strain on it.
NilsJohan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As long as it's just a cold I screw it and go - been going well so far. Anything more serious than that is a different matter.
TheBrightShadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i dont normally go if im unwell, usually because im too unwell to do non training activities yet alone go and lift heavy weights....also its not very pleasant for the others in the gym if youre sneezing around the place!
DaveSimpson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When I had a cold, I actually found going to the gym helped as it "sweated" the cold out of me. But anything worse than a cold and I'm usually not well enough to even walk about never mind work out.
Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
a few weeks ago i had infections in both ears, felt very dizzy and found it harder than usual to walk as my ballance was off, but still trained. this happened the day after squats, and i trained bench and deadlift that week and hit pbs. sometimes you have to man up, but if i was seriously ill i woulnd'nt train because it would be stupid to let others catch it.
keepoffthelawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My perception is that its alright to do a little training (not intense, but a lighter version) if you're just a little little bit ill. However if you're clearly ill its a no-no. Taking a few days off of your exercise routine ain't gonna kill ya. Sometimes those few extra days of rest could be just what your body needed.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sandhu)
. sometimes you have to man up, but if i was seriously ill i woulnd'nt train because it would be stupid to let others catch it.

Yeah this pretty much.
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends what I'm out with.

I know a few folk that have tried to get back into exercise too early after muscle injuries and injured themselves further. That's not something I'd ever do.

If it's anything more than a head cold then no. If it's just a head cold then I'll go out for a light jog or a walk with my dog, but anything other than that then it's just rest and patience.
Barton1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Resting should be as important as training
Rob_dob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always seem to be ill, so I wouldn't get any training done if I didn't.

....I took two months off training and remained ill so just started again :/
sam854
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i used to do this mate, really dnt recommend it, cos it just makes it take alot longer for you 2 get better. so tehres no realy benifit, when ill jst look after urself, eat drink loadsssss and rest and as soon as ur better start again. (like i am right now)
Lozzaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends what you have. Common cold/Freshers flu etc, train through it, if it's worse than that, don't. Apply discretion. I've got the flu/a chest infection atm, haven't trained since Friday. For me it's like going cold turkey and i'm suffereing withdrawal, but I know it's better for me really.
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Usually do what I can.
wellisntitfor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't enjoy the workout, feel **** and weak, and make the illness much worse and last longer. So no, when I'm ill I avoid any strenuous physical, and mental, activities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (273)
27.25%
No (729)
72.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise