Home Vs. Halls ! Watch

laurenbaby304
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
so, i didn't know whether to shove this in the 'student life' area or the 'student accommodation' area, but decided to put it here.

at the moment, i don't know whether i want to live at home and commute or, take a deep breath and live in halls.

i'd like to know what people think the advantages and disadvantages are of commuting.

i'm not really fussed about travelling -- in fact i kinda like it, but i guess i'm just trying to figure out what i should do, because i'm sure it may get boring, tedious and the work might get to much, but idk.

just, tell me what you think.

i'd like to hear from everyone, whether you're a person applying to uni, a person who stayed in halls and loved/hated it, a person who lived at home and loved/hated it. whatever.

thank youuu (:[
laurenbaby304
oh, and just so you know. i currently live in st. helens and would (probably - if i don't change my mind) be travelling to chester.
*MJ*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That font and size is awful...
Depends on your status financially to be honest.
It can cost quite a lot.
Good Luck what ever you pick though...
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Halls are weeeeeeeeell worth the money, no lie. Just for the social side.

And type in a bigger font!
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Look; just live in Halls. Don't think about the price, it's 1,0000x better in halls. I wish I had tbh.
Waterstorm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Damn, I had to zoom in to read that.

But anyway.. go for halls, I can't wait for it, it'll be much more fun!
pink_cait
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm applying and chose halls. Because I didn't want to live at home anymore, I want to experience the WHOLE unviersity experience, and I just want to I want to grow up more etc..
AllegedLegends
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol, I had to zoom to 150%

Personally it's good to live away from home - you get to meet lots more new people and develop maturity/gain idependence. If you don't like it you can always return home in 2nd year ;]
rlw31
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm staying in halls, though I didn't have much choice(commuting between citites wasn't really an option.
The advantages of halls for me are; being close to the building where I have my lectures, being close to local amenities, meeting loads of different students, having my own bathroom.

But there are many disadvantages; cost, noise from flatmates and other people in the building, noise from the street, fire alarms, possibility of getting stuck with crap flatmates, sharing a kitchen with loads of people, not having mum's food.
Sarahl89
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Halls! No shadow of a doubt!
laurenbaby304
SORRY ABOUT THE FONT, haha.

xD

i'll change it right away.

thank you so much everyone, i see that most people think living in halls is the best option, and hey, if i really hate it -- i can always move back home!

(:
CatatonicStupor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Halls is the way to go. I've got a mate who's living at home and commutes three days a week when he has his lectures. He used to live in halls, but then decided he wanted to spend more time with his girlfriend. But, at the end of the day, when he's sitting in lectures, he spends the last 15minutes looking at his watch because he knows he has a train to catch.

I personally love halls. I regret not being in halls closer to town (last night was a 40minute walk back from town, with a five minute stop off in someone's flat to pick up some stuff). But, you meet some good friends in halls, you can go out in the night and enjoy yourself, or stay in and do work; you don't have to worry about what time you're leaving lectures, catching trains, buses, or driving in rush hour traffic.

To be quite honest, for £3000, bills included, and free 24hour 10MB internet - I'm loving it. Next year, in a student house, will be a shock when I have to factor in water bills, electricity, internet, etc etc.
lifeisacookie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
id definitely say Halls, because it's closer, you're more involved with other students and you'll be free of parents!

i can see the benefits of living at home because of costs and having to do housekeeping but i think its a good life lesson and you can get loans for all that.

universitys supposed to be like the best time of your life because you're free and finally an adult and i just like staying at home would be kind of a backwards step rather than a forwards one.

keekee107
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmmm.. I think people here are giving living at home a bad rep here!

Personally I live at home and absolutely love uni. The advantages of living at home are immense - the money you save from just not having to pay rent or buy food or whatever (do, however, realise how much commuting will cost... it shocked me to find out how much it really cost - it's not insignificant!). Having food on the table for you, a family network around you and being close to friends from back home is all great. Personally as well I find it much easier to study during exam time as my house is rather quiet and no one bothers me - unlike what can be the case in student accommodation.

There are disadvantages and risks with commuting though and I think you have to be totally aware of these before you undertake your decision on whether to commute or live in. I'd be lying if I said that I haven't once wished I lived in uni accommodation. I've made great friends at uni and there's some times I just wish I could go to all the student parties with them or didn't have to travel back in the freezing cold or get up 2 and a half hours before a lecture starts or worry about whether you're going to get there in time for an exam because trains might be cancelled or whatever... It's all disadvantages. I have it particularly bad though because I'm at an awkward distance from uni - involving two trains really, so this might be easier for you.

It can be done veryu successfully and if I lived a little closer I'd say that I have actually felt no disadvantages at all and all advantages of commuting - but perhaps I've been lucky with the friends that I have made or whatever. What I believe though is that if you want to make commuting work, it will work for you. You have to go in with realistic expectations knowing what you are saving and why you chose it, be flexible (hang around after lectures) and you'll make some good friends - you might be living away but live the uni experience full time or else you'll probably regret it. Sure there's things you'll miss out on - but these are both good and bad... Choose wisely and don't forget, you're never stuck with your decision if it doesn't work for you... either way!
Lula88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my biggest regret was staying to live at home for various reasons-and the commute got v v tiring after a while. Thats why for my masters I'm trying my hardest to go somewhere else and live in halls or some sort of student accomodation just to get a feel of what I missed out on. Suppose at least I get to experience both worlds, but if you don't plan on doing anything after your degree and this is the only chance you will have living in halls-I say go for it =]
timetokill
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I live in halls and (based on my expereince) I personally wouldnt bother with it again if I lived within a commutable distance from my university. But I dont, so alas for my second year here I am in halls.

Its alright at first, its exciting and new and even if your flatmates turn out to be *******, for the first few weeks/first semester its generally great. After that though, the novelty wore off for me. Fire alarms, being woken up by noise constantly, room inspections, flat inspections etc etc wernt worth it.

For your first year maybe live in halls just so you can have the experience and meet some people, get yourself established, get to know your way around the university city and so on. Then in second/third year if you arnt too fussed move back home and commute then. Just because you move out first year, doesnt have to mean you move out for good, its just a good experience to have
Ronar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm scared now becuase I will be living at home i'm only an hour or so away though, but the bad rep's making me wonder if I should apply for accomodation :P

Oh wait, I have no money and wont be getting any money off the government or my parents to move out. Lol, thats a nice slap of reality again D:
qwerty27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I stayed in halls and it's way overrated. At least for me it was. personally id rather save the £3500 it cost me, plus the cost of food
daisyc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Moving out is the most exciting part of uni for me!
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I stayed in halls and I hated it. I got put with two guys, not too good. I dropped out and am living at home and commuting to Uni as from September. Will save me a lot of money too, I know I'll be a lot happier! Probably because I have so much freedom at home, I don't nesessarily feel the need to get away from my parents (I have more freedom at home than I did in halls, put it that way).

If you're thinking of moving into halls but think you can just leave to live at home, I'd seriously read all the small print. I'm still paying for my accommodation even though I'm not living there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1206)
79.6%
Leave (309)
20.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise