Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey there! i want to do veterinary sciene but i'm torn between two A Levels for A2, as to which one to drop

basically, assuming i get AA in chem and biology A2 i don't know which subject out of psycology or english lit to carry on to A2

English lit is less of a 'soft' subject when compared to psycology so logically i should take that, but i'm most probably going to get a B in that...

Psycology is a softer subject so is probably less reccomended/desired but i got a very high A in my january exam and could probably get an A* in it A2.

so. English lit: better, more 'respected' but a lower grade (B)
    or
    Psycology: softer, less desired subject but a high grade A/A*

thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardustfairy)
    hey there! i want to do veterinary sciene but i'm torn between two A Levels for A2, as to which one to drop

basically, assuming i get AA in chem and biology A2 i don't know which subject out of psycology or english lit to carry on to A2

English lit is less of a 'soft' subject when compared to psycology so logically i should take that, but i'm most probably going to get a B in that...

Psycology is a softer subject so is probably less reccomended/desired but i got a very high A in my january exam and could probably get an A* in it A2.

or

thanks in advance!
    definitely psychology. out of the ones that dont require three sciences, none of them have any preference over the third subject, so you just want to get the highest grades possible

ReputationRep:
    ditto to annaconda. Provided you have two sciences, most places don't mind what your third is in, so you are better to take the one you are better at/prefer/will find easier.

:confused: didn't think you could get A* at A level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    ditto to annaconda. Provided you have two sciences, most places don't mind what your third is in, so you are better to take the one you are better at/prefer/will find easier.

:confused: didn't think you could get A* at A level?
    can now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardustfairy)

or

thanks in advance!
    I would recommend english literature becuase it is really good in A2. Plus I do Chem and Bio aswell and Eng lit is such a good break from facts and boring science.

ReputationRep:
    psychology....i was gonna do it but my college said it clashed with chemistry! i do politics now and i thought that was soft compared to physics, but i emailed the unis saying i would be getting a lower grade in physics compared to politics at A2, and they all said do the one you will do better in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formula 1)
    can now.
    opps. that shows how long ago I did my a levels then. :rolleyes: when did A*s come in?

ReputationRep:
    only the year now in year 12 will be able to get them. i dont think unis are supposed to use them in offers or anything yet. they are sort of having a trial period. your not that far behind the times!

ReputationRep:
    oh good! Made me feel old then...don't want to start on the "in my day...." type comments yet!

ReputationRep:
    Applied Science?

ReputationRep:
    I have Sociology as my 3rd A-level, I don't think it really matters as long as you get an A in it so I'd do the subject you enjoy the most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_E_N_N_Y)
    only the year now in year 12 will be able to get them. i dont think unis are supposed to use them in offers or anything yet. they are sort of having a trial period. your not that far behind the times!
    Cambridge have already said that A*AA will be their new standard offer.

ReputationRep:
    i thought that wasnt for a couple of years though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_E_N_N_Y)
    i thought that wasnt for a couple of years though.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7946675.stm

I think it would have been more sensible to wait until the A* is actually tested. However, I don't think it is an unreasonable thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    ah the *******s. they should wait till its tested. i bet there offer slowly creeps towards A*A*A* over the years.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think theyll use the A* for vets, seems a bit useless considering veet isnt a purely cadeic course, and which subject would they want the A* im?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    i dont think theyll use the A* for vets, seems a bit useless considering veet isnt a purely cadeic course, and which subject would they want the A* im?
    It'll be used for cambridge vets just because it will be the standard uni offer there, but I don't think it would be used for other vet schools since the interviews/work experience can be used to differentiate between applicants as opposed to pure grades.
    If they did introduce it, I imagine it would be in bio, because an A* in chem would be a bit steep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    It'll be used for cambridge vets just because it will be the standard uni offer there, but I don't think it would be used for other vet schools since the interviews/work experience can be used to differentiate between applicants as opposed to pure grades.
    If they did introduce it, I imagine it would be in bio, because an A* in chem would be a bit steep!
    tbh i dont have a clue wha im saying, ie had wayyyy to much vodka tonight, and spent £7 on drinks for other people! ******* waste of money! i dot even drink beer, so i dont know why i bought 5 kronenbourgs. but i thinks its mroe impressive tht i managed to buy drik ata ll, being underage and all!

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it would be in bio, because an A* in chem would be a bit steep!
    AKA Impossible!! I don't like the idea of the A* for vet med as it will just encourage the course to lean even more strongly in the academic direction. Admittedly, to be able to cope you do need to be 'academic' and there is a need for a proportion of graduates to be very academic. However, my suspicion is that soon the majority of the course will be made up of very academic people who will quickly get bored and frustrated with the reality of life for most vets... castrating, TB testing & vacc's.

tbh i dont have a clue wha im saying, ie had wayyyy to much vodka tonight, and spent £7 on drinks for other people! ******* waste of money! i dot even drink beer, so i dont know why i bought 5 kronenbourgs. but i thinks its mroe impressive tht i managed to buy drik ata ll, being underage and all!
    You've been drinking?!?! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave Singleton)
    AKA Impossible!! I don't like the idea of the A* for vet med as it will just encourage the course to lean even more strongly in the academic direction. Admittedly, to be able to cope you do need to be 'academic' and there is a need for a proportion of graduates to be very academic. However, my suspicion is that soon the majority of the course will be made up of very academic people who will quickly get bored and frustrated with the reality of life for most vets... castrating, TB testing & vacc's.
    However its very appropiate for the cambridge degree since the pre clincal part is very academic and cambridge activly seek academics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.