resit biology or leave it? Watch

stardustfairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hey! i want to do veterinary science at uni so i need pretty good A levels...

i got a B in the first AS exam but don't know whether to resit it this june.

pros
could bring grade to an A so overall get an A
if i get a lower mark in june then this resit will bring it up
if get lower mark can resit again in jan

cons
extra work load for june exams
already a B and can bring up grade if i just do well in other moduals
might get lower grade in second modual as im concentrating on 1st modual

hmm. i think im even more confused! anyone in my position or similar and what are you doing? thanks xx!
*MJ*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Resit it 16 times a year...:ninja:

Just the once for a high A should be enough...
yassin_isman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if i was you i wouldnt resit untill january because i just found out that you have to put resits on your ucas application. My freind freak because he wanted to resit biology aswell
Mej
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
im in the same position as you, i got a mid B in my AS exam and im resiting it to make sure i get an A overall...

i spent the whole weekend thinking it through and then just flipped a coin...lol

anyways just do what you think is best... if you think you can do better by resiting and that it won't significantly damage your performance in your other subjects then go for it...

how many exams do you have already for june as in just normal exams (not resits)....

coz if you take on too much you might not cope....

my friend has 11 exams plus 2 resits and im really worried for her

nyways if you think you can handle it and are able to do the extra work than i say go for it...

good luck
DalekLover
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I were you I'd stick with the B and work hard in all the other modules.
niyaaaah
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
resit it.

putting down aaa looks better than baa and you'd only end up resitting it next year which would add more pressure and strain to yoru already heavy workload. get it out of the way now.
Waterstorm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The first unit for Biology is just really the basics of Biology, and your further modules will all build up from that.

So, I would say you have to retake it, but do it next year. By the time you get into A2 you will look back at that module and seriously see how easy it is and how you can easily get 90%+. Next year Jan is good if you don't need to retake anything else in Bio (your second June module), but if you're retaking something else do it next year June, you'll have synoptic at that time and it'll help in that too as you'll need to revise over it anyway.
CCJ
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stop thinking grades, start thinking UMS.

Your goal is 480/600 I presume. So take this on the chin, work your ass off in the summer and see what you get, if you don't have a big a lee-way as you'd have wanted then resit it in January. AS level is much easier than A2, so if you get high UMS then you'll make your life a lot easier.

Its up to you though.
Waterstorm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by yassin_isman)
if i was you i wouldnt resit untill january because i just found out that you have to put resits on your ucas application. My freind freak because he wanted to resit biology aswell
No you don't, where did you hear that?

(Original post by niyaaaah)
resit it.

putting down aaa looks better than baa and you'd only end up resitting it next year which would add more pressure and strain to yoru already heavy workload. get it out of the way now.
They don't see your grades, you write it as 'pending', unless they ask for module UMS scores.
Botticello
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want to do veterinary then you're probably best off resitting it, as you can retake in year 13 if it doesn't go that well. Just give priority to the one you haven't done before, and on your Ucas form the A at AS will look much better. I did the same thing in year 12 and it did help.
cdoyle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Repeat...
modini
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd retake it. If there's too much stress this summer, you could always retake it next january when you'll prosumably have less exams (unless you're in year 13 already).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?