Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey (New to the whole TSR thing:tongue: )

I was wondering if doing Math, Further math, Physics and Chemistry would put me under to much pressure. I am currently contemplating whether I would have enough time to cover all the syllabus in time for the January exams. I am aiming to go to Oxbridge, and I know full well that 4 A* would have to be an option if I were to apply their.

I am aiming to achieve 9 A* and 1 B, but I don't know whether I have it in me.

Thanks for the helps guys, really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly what I have done and it's fine, bearing in mind the step up from GCSE to A level, but you sound like you are capable. For me FP1 is the hardest but aslong as you manage your time well then you should be fine. Also very good choices for Oxbridge, are you wanting to study maths?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't seem too much, but I'm doing essay subjects. Organise yourself properly and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that's an awesome subject combination - one which in hindsight I should have chosen, although I'm going to do my best to rectify my error for next year (teaching myself further maths A2). As long as you put the work in, it should be fine ^^

Also, welcome to TSR!

ReputationRep:
    not too much I don't think!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to TSR :woo:

Your subjects are fine, depending on what you want to do at uni. I'd say aiming for 4 A*s is good, but you would have to work extremely hard just to get them (plus some unis won't be putting A* in their offers except UCL and Cambridge I thnk).

But subjects and grades are not the only criteria Oxbridge assess. Make sure you have a good personal statement and gain work experience and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why you shouldn't, obviously it comes down to the individual, but people at my school are doing those subjects as well as biology. They're getting straight As and there gcse results weren't as good as yours.

If it is what you want to do then go for it. I think that people often make the mistake of thinking that sciences are the hardest A levels and so taking 4 is ridiculous, but 9/10 times all subjects are as difficult or time consuming as each other one way or the other.

Good luck, you'll be fine. xxx

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you're MAN ENOUGH. If you're good at Maths and you work hard at Further Maths then normal Maths will just be a breeze after that. I find Physics pretty easy but don't know about chemistry. I got no A*s and 3 As at GCSE and I'm on track for AAA so I'm sure you can do better than me! It all depends on how much work you're willing to put in.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't seem to be too much. One of my friends did what you're doing and biology at AS and got good results.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Should be fine. A lot of things overlap between physics, maths and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't be a problem at all. I know of many people (myself included) who are doing this combination with another A level on top of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    That is exactly what I have done and it's fine, bearing in mind the step up from GCSE to A level, but you sound like you are capable. For me FP1 is the hardest but aslong as you manage your time well then you should be fine. Also very good choices for Oxbridge, are you wanting to study maths?
    Hey JumpingJonny, I haven't decided if I want to do either Mathematics or mathematical Physics!
    and congrats on getting an offer from Warick!!!!:woo:

thanks guys for the help, this site ROCKS!

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what I am doing and if you are good at maths and science and prepared to work it is no harder than any other combination - in fact it is easier as a lot of the stuff interlinks. Covering the syllabus is no problem at all - in further maths we had a full six weeks of nothing but revision cos we finished early. If this is what you really want to do go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by relativity)
    Hey JumpingJonny, I haven't decided if I want to do either Mathematics or mathematical Physics!
    and congrats on getting an offer from Warick!!!!:woo:

thanks guys for the help, this site ROCKS!
    Thankyou , if you are doing either of those options then Further Maths will be essential to your application; I had a friend who applied to maths without it; needless to say it didn't end well :yep: Provided you start woorking from the word go then you'll be fine

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    This website should come with a hazard warning!

It is SERIOUSLY addictive.

Don't let it distract you and you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Great combination and welcome aboard the TSR train. :laugh:
    That doesn't sound like too much; if you're good with Maths and willing to work, you'll be fine. Plus, a lot of concepts in Maths and Physics are similar. Plus, normal Maths isn't as difficult whilst studying Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    If you are good at maths you'll be fine. I chose those, the hardest imo is chem.

ReputationRep:
    Not too much at all - in fact, Maths and FM often don't count separately. Everyone I know doing FM is doing it as a fifth (or a sixth in one case).

What are you aiming to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by relativity)
    Hey (New to the whole TSR thing )

I was wondering if doing Math, Further math, Physics and Chemistry would put me under to much pressure. I am currently contemplating whether I would have enough time to cover all the syllabus in time for the January exams. I am aiming to go to Oxbridge, and I know full well that 4 A* would have to be an option if I were to apply their.

I am aiming to achieve 9 A* and 1 B, but I don't know whether I have it in me.

Thanks for the helps guys, really appreciate it
    Well I'm doing these next year, and I've asked around about them a fair bit here and elsewhere at my school, other forums, etc, so I'll summarise the advice I've got that's relevant to you.

The general consensus is that, so long as you're very talented at logical things they're actually *relatively* simple ones to take. There's no essays in any of them - it's just understanding, being able to apply it, etc, no essay-writing techniques to speak of really. Therefore the workload's not really that bad.

I'd suggest what a fair number of people in my school's 6th form told me they did - buy the maths, chemistry & physics AS Level textbooks that apply to the boards your school uses (better yet, borrow them from your school if they'll let you) and learn a fair bit of it over the summer (learning Mechanics for Maths & Physics, and at least reading and considering the rest will save you a ton of time and trouble when you go back, that way you'll be revising it rather than struggling with it when you do it in class).

The final thing I'd mention is that of free periods. Usually you'll get more of these than most people at your school in Year 12 due to the Further Maths (hopefully you're already aware of that). It's been hammered into me not to waste these.
    If you've got nothing to do, either research your university choices, etc, or read ahead on whichever of your subjects you're not quite so comfortable with. If you are struggling with things try to find a teacher who can help explain it to you - a fair amount of the time, depending on how big your school/college is, you'll be able to find one teacher who's got no lesson and is willing to help for 5 or so minutes.

Most of that's paraphrased, hence why it doesn't quite fit together nicely.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.